Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nashville_bound

Nashville leading the "Creative Class" Measure

10 posts in this topic

Article in The Atlantic

"The ongoing evolution of Nashville has made it into something of a Silicon Valley of the music business, combining the best institutions, the best infrastructure, and the best talent, as I noted in a post here in May 2009 ("The Nashville Effect")."

From the ATLANTIC;

Over the past several decades, Nashville transformed itself from a rather narrow country music outpost in the 1960s and 1970s into a major center for commercial music. By the mid-2000s, only New York and Los Angeles housed more musicians. Nashville's rise is even more impressive when you look at its ratio of musicians to total population. In 1970, Nashville wasn't even one of the top five regions by this measure. By 2004, it was the national leader, with nearly four times the U.S. average. Today, it is home to over 180 recording studios, 130 music publishers, 100 live music clubs, and 80 record labels.

Nashville is the THIRD COAST.

Also on topic, I heard that Mayor Karl Dean was at the Grammy Awards campaigning for Nashville to host the awards again (last time in 1972). That was two days after a snowstorm at rush hour pretty much shut all the roads down.

It will take a large commitment to get them to come here. The managers of the show have cited our weather problems as a reason to not come here before. But I think the real reason is they think no one wants to come here. I disagree. The novelty of a show in Nashville would make it one of the best shows ever. The city would have to close off downtown, and rent extra snow removal equipment to be on standby, but they could make it work.

Having the Grammies would make the 'THIRD COAST' label official.

To add to the Creative Class theme... here is an article from Downbeat Magazine (a leading Jazz Music Magazine) that ranks 3 Nashville venues in the Top 150 in the World. We are already the undisputed home of Country, Americana, Gospel and Contemporary Christian and have the US HQ for Barbershop Quartet but who knew Nashville was so strong in the Jazz segment? Not I.

Top 150 World Jazz Venues

44.gif

I love reading this stuff as much as I love reading about a new building. It seems somehow more cerebral and continues the upswing in our reputation among those in cross-genre creative pursuits. I was particularly pleased as this U.K. publication didn't deem it necessary to pinpoint us by adding a state or country after the word "Nashville." We are who we are, and that just tickles me, especially when used in the same sentence as "London." Cool.

2 people like this

I forgot how gorgeous Gwyneth is! That first photo...those legs...Wow! Okay, I digress. My wife was an extra in the film Country Strong and she said Gwyneth was very nice and personable. Glad to see the Nashville props.

BR86

I love reading this stuff as much as I love reading about a new building. It seems somehow more cerebral and continues the upswing in our reputation among those in cross-genre creative pursuits. I was particularly pleased as this U.K. publication didn't deem it necessary to pinpoint us by adding a state or country after the word "Nashville." We are who we are, and that just tickles me, especially when used in the same sentence as "London." Cool.

IJDave,

I'm with you. But on a frustrating note, the Associated Press at one time very recently (and it may still) offered a list of U.S. cities for which editors should not use state abbreviations. Salt Lake City, according to the AP, does not require "Utah." But Nashville does require "Tenn."

So we still have a way to go for some boneheads to see the light.

WW

Yeah, it doesn't bother me. It is where we are, right? I thought it was interesting that the foreign publication didn't use it in that particular instance. We'll take it when we can. lol.

Big recognition of Nashville's music scene from Rolling Stone magazine.

"The Best Music Scene."

I know this was posted in another thread, but it seemed to fit here better.

All Nashville needs to do now is get a great jazz scene like we used to back in the 1980's.

BR