UniGov Talks for Hub of Metro Grand Rapids

metrogrkid

In my youth I used to picture that the schemes like this were hatched by the old local elite in some mahogany paneled side room at the Penn Club while they sat in heavily upholstered chairs, smoked illegal Cuban cigars, and downed expensive single malt whiskey.

The names have changed since then and the Penn Club is no more. In the Penn Club's later days I imagine they probably weren't allowed to smoke anyway. So where do they meet now?

I don't know enough to figure out if I'm for or against this yet - with the Penn Club closed I'm just trying to adjust my paradigm about how these things come about. Anybody know?

Leopard Lounge? :dontknow:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be very cautious.

If you are a proponent it's easy to frame this issue as County interests consolidating INTO Grand Rapids. If you look at this closely it may consist of suburbs absorbing Grand Rapids' interests -- the city will have the most to loose. Together the suburbs will have greater control of all progress made on urban issues that are clearly divisive among suburban and city constituents. Just think about urban policy in the context of an urban and suburban divide among elected boards. Remember suburban interests outnumber Grand Rapids'.

Times may be tough, but now is not the time to jump on the next thing afloat -- only to find out that next thing also has a leak.

Archived