"Green"ville to become a major world showcase energy efficient city?

gman430

Big Greenville News article on this today. :thumbsup: The City of Greenville beat out Chicago and Portland for this pilot project mainly because we showed a lot more interest in it: http://www.greenvill...BS171038227.PDF Some of the things the city could see from this major collaboration include expanded electric car fleets, hybrid water heaters for residents, LED street lights and downtown office building upgrades. :shades: General Electric is not asking for any money to help pay for it either. Incredible to see a major company like this investing in our community. Duke Energy, Furman University, Ameresco, and Clemson University are also involved. Oh and one of my favorite snippets from the article:

White said GE is essentially doing research and development in Greenville as part of a wider attempt to expand the use of its energy-saving products and projects. He referred to the company’s “ecomagination” commercials and said the project involves the top levels of the company.

It's almost like being Google's test dummy for their Fiber project except in this case it's General Electric for their Ecomagination project. :tough:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big Greenville News article on this today. :thumbsup: The City of Greenville beat out Chicago and Portland for this pilot project mainly because we showed a lot more interest in it: http://www.greenvill...BS171038227.PDF Some of the things the city could see from this major collaboration include expanded electric car fleets, hybrid water heaters for residents, LED street lights and downtown office building upgrades. :shades: General Electric is not asking for any money to help pay for it either. Incredible to see a major company like this investing in our community. Duke Energy, Furman University, Ameresco, and Clemson University are also involved. Oh and one of my favorite snippets from the article:

White said GE is essentially doing research and development in Greenville as part of a wider attempt to expand the use of its energy-saving products and projects. He referred to the company’s “ecomagination” commercials and said the project involves the top levels of the company.

It's almost like being Google's test dummy for their Fiber project except in this case it's General Electric for their Ecomagination project. :tough:

Wow! This is fantastic! :yahoo:

Go out of town and big things happen. Funny, I was on my return flight with a GE guy. He said GE had "big plans" for Greenville but didn't elaborate. I assumed he meant additional manufacturing jobs.

Awesome......After living in Anderson, SC for 28 years of my life then moving to Charleston and having been here a year due to job change, I can honestly say I cant wait to get back to the Greenville area......such a beautiful thriving city.

• 4 months later...

Major announcement regarding this coming next Tuesday. The plan will begin to be implemented at GSP Airport, downtown Greenville, and other areas. The airport will be receiving the largest electric car rental fleet that the public can use in the nation. This is all thanks to GE.

More excellent news for the "Green" economy in Greenville.

"The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, IEEE, will have a first-of-a-kind conference at the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research in Greenville."

"More than 1,000 people are expected to attend the conference March 4 to 8, 2012. IEEE chose Greenville over Austin, Texas; Detroit; San Francisco; and Washington D.C. for its 2012 International Electric Vehicle Conference."

http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/40354-international-electric-vehicle-conference-comes-to-cu-icar?rss=0

Furman, Verdae, Greenville Hospital System CBRE real estate, TIC properties, and Centennial American Properties and one other real estate company that I didn't catch are involved with this project.

County Square will be one location for the electric charging stations.

• 4 months later...

A major goal for the Greening of Greenville was to replace inefficient natural gas water heaters in residences with electric water heaters produced by GE. Unfortunately, because of limitations Piedmont Natural Gas and Duke Energy agreed to prior to this project, it will not happen. It basically boils down to the fact that Duke Energy cannot encroach and "steal" PNG customers.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hope so. :) Speaking of that, I have to say I absolutely love these new energy efficient pedestrian style lights that have now been installed on the Hyatt block of Main Street. They definitely feel more modern and updated then the older ones up along the rest of Main Street.

Hope so. :) Speaking of that, I have to say I absolutely love these new energy efficient pedestrian style lights that have now been installed on the Hyatt block of Main Street. They definitely feel more modern and updated then the older ones up along the rest of Main Street.

I still haven't paid attention to these. I need to check them out!

Also, I saw that Greenville County was named the top recycler in SC. The County's recycling rate improved from 37.1% in 2010, to 42.4% in 2011. That's the percentage of a person's trash recycled of total trash produced in a day. The County has 21 recycling drop offs, and multiple education initiatives aimed at the general public. Great to see!

It would be great to see a wider curb-side recycling effort in the areas outside of the City. There's no telling how much these numbers could improve if we made it a little bit easier for the average Greenville County household to recycle...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived