"Green"ville to become a major world showcase energy efficient city?

gman430

^ While this is generally positive news, I'm shocked to see that replacement will be "a block a year". And some of us wonder why people think SC is slow........

I don't think people will be weighing Greenville's replacement of street lighting when they attempt to justify stereotypes in their head. Maybe that's just me, though.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think people will be weighing Greenville's replacement of street lighting when they attempt to justify stereotypes in their head. Maybe that's just me, though.

Who said anything about trying to "justify" stereotypes? One block a year for a lighting project is painfully slow, period....for any city, by any metric. People outside South Carolina think the state is slow to respond, react, move ahead, progress, etc. As regards this project, those people have a factual reason for those thoughts.

Some in Greenville need to up their expectation, IMO.

Up their expectations? What exactly is Greenville doing wrong? :dontknow: Heck, the city just voted yesterday to move forward with plans for a large park west of downtown. Most cities our size would kill to have the Swamp Rabbit Trail, a downtown as vibrant as ours, high rises with new bank HQ under construction, Fluor Field, events everywhere you turn, etc. Don't believe me? Ask Huntsville who just got done visiting here.

Oh and if Jim Bourey were still in charge, there would be no energy efficient lighting downtown along with a new park being planned at all.

I seriously doubt either the current or former city manager had anything to do with either project.

As for the lights, we are getting these for free or at a reduced cost, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm sure that the city will gladly take donations to speed the process up.

The previous system cast light in all directions using the cluster of 3 globes. The new lights are more focused, and require new light poles spaced closer. So they end up rewiring and installing new poles - the slow and expensive part.

But a block a year is still extremely slow. If they just do 8 blocks, that is 8 years. Crazy.

The previous system cast light in all directions using the cluster of 3 globes. The new lights are more focused, and require new light poles spaced closer. So they end up rewiring and installing new poles - the slow and expensive part.

Thanks for the info. That makes more sense, but still seems slow.

Archived