West Little Rock

On 11/30/2016 at 6:48 AM, SangreRaVen said:

I could see Chili's moving where Luby's used to be, would be a good location, Shackledford crossing would have worked as well though I do not think there is room now.. of course we all know they could always eye Gateway Town Center but really I would prefer more new to market and less of the same stuff just moving over there. 

-R

Most likely place IMO is the old Carino's/Marketplace on Hwy. 10. Near the Interstate, part of a large shopping mall and already zoned properly. I'm sure they'd raze the building.

And, is this a crazy thought? If the shopping center loses Chili's and still hasn't replaced Whole Foods, would it be possible that the entire shopping center could be replaced by a Costco? It's visible from the Interstate and just might be large enough.

On 12/2/2016 at 1:47 PM, ArkansasTraveler said:

The old Carino's/Markeplace Grill site would be about the same size as what Chili's has now, so that works in its favor.  As for Costco, I'd suspect that the company would greatly prefer to be where Kmart is now, whenever that property should become available.

Yeah, I've definitely thought about Costco there. And it's only a matter of time before that place closes. The last time I was in there, I realized that it had not been remodeled since the 70s.

I do like the idea of the Costco going in the shopping center where Chili's is currently.  The price might be too high for them and there's still a number of tenants still occupying space.  I wouldn't think they'd be open to going in where Kmart is.  Chili's is not looking at any other location along Rodney Parham or in Pleasant Ridge.  They've cited that almost every national brand open in the Pleasant Ridge area currently does below average sales volumes.  They may end up in the former Luby's location on Markham or go out further west closer to Chuy's. 

On 12/2/2016 at 0:29 PM, adman0468 said:

And, is this a crazy thought? If the shopping center loses Chili's and still hasn't replaced Whole Foods, would it be possible that the entire shopping center could be replaced by a Costco? It's visible from the Interstate and just might be large enough.

This was my thought as well but I don't think it's large enough.  I'm still interested in the possible ramifications the proposed I-430/Rodney Parham reconfiguration will have on the center. 

17 hours ago, LRretail said:

I do like the idea of the Costco going in the shopping center where Chili's is currently.  The price might be too high for them and there's still a number of tenants still occupying space.  I wouldn't think they'd be open to going in where Kmart is.  Chili's is not looking at any other location along Rodney Parham or in Pleasant Ridge.  They've cited that almost every national brand open in the Pleasant Ridge area currently does below average sales volumes.  They may end up in the former Luby's location on Markham or go out further west closer to Chuy's. 

Probably more of a commentary on Pleasant Ridge (low visibility, difficult access, not directly adjacent to freeway) than the market in general.

18 hours ago, Architect said:

Probably more of a commentary on Pleasant Ridge (low visibility, difficult access, not directly adjacent to freeway) than the market in general.

Actually I think their concerns over low sales volumes speaks to the Pleasant Ridge Shopping Center and that relative section of HWY 10 about 1-2 miles in both direction.  It's not information available to the public any longer but restaurant sales in that area, for a variety of reasons, falls below average for Newks, Chick-fil-a, Chipotle, Bonefish, Bar Louie, etc.  It's confused me why it's like that because that portion of Cantrell has the highest non-interstate daily traffic count in the state.  So it's not for lack of exposure.  So although it's not adjacent to 430, it gets quite a bit of exposure to traffic.  Perhaps it's because of low visibility / access or other things you've mentioned and other things we haven't thought of.

On 12/3/2016 at 10:18 PM, ecity3138 said:

Burger 21 applied for a plumbing permit.

Yay.  Another better burger place opening.  Cause we seem to have a lack of those around....   Almost like the need for more banks, pizza places, dental offices, and nail salons...  Yay.

38 minutes ago, LRretail said:

Actually I think their concerns over low sales volumes speaks to the Pleasant Ridge Shopping Center and that relative section of HWY 10 about 1-2 miles in both direction.  It's not information available to the public any longer but restaurant sales in that area, for a variety of reasons, falls below average for Newks, Chick-fil-a, Chipotle, Bonefish, Bar Louie, etc.  It's confused me why it's like that because that portion of Cantrell has the highest non-interstate daily traffic count in the state.  So it's not for lack of exposure.  So although it's not adjacent to 430, it gets quite a bit of exposure to traffic.  Perhaps it's because of low visibility / access or other things you've mentioned and other things we haven't thought of.

I think it's because of the amount of traffic and the problem of getting in and out of that shopping center.  When I go through that area, I just want to get through that cluster of a series of intersections.  I don't want to stop there because of it.  

3 hours ago, LRretail said:

Yay.  Another better burger place opening.  Cause we seem to have a lack of those around....   Almost like the need for more banks, pizza places, dental offices, and nail salons...  Yay.

I think we're saying the same thing, though traffic and visibility are two entirely different things.  PR may have high traffic, but it also has ZERO visibility from Cantrell.

2 hours ago, Architect said:

I think we're saying the same thing, though traffic and visibility are two entirely different things.  PR may have high traffic, but it also has ZERO visibility from Cantrell.

Pleasant Ridge West in particular suffers from that lack of visibility.  You can at least make out the northernmost tenants from the main part of PRTC.

8 minutes ago, Arkanzin said:

I didn't realize Burger 21 was a creation of the owners of The Melting Pot.  

Whatever happened to the Little Rock Melting Pot?  I've forgotten. 

They keep looking for someone to by the local franchise and no one (wisely) has stepped up to do it.

And I wish that Pleasant Ridge had been created with more of a Promenade Main Street feel. That wouldn't affect traffic or visibility, but I just feel like it would make the experience feel less like a pretty strip mall.

3 hours ago, skirby said:

I think the major problem with Pleasant Ridge occurred when   Parisian changed over to Belk.  Also, a convenience store  at the major entry and a cleaners located at what should have been another entry doesn't help.

There's no question that the Belk anchor sets a certain tone for the overall development.

When Parisian was announced, it was very prominently noted that the store was connected to Saks Incorporated (though it was in the process of being sold even then). The way its merchandise was presented reflected that. As Parisian arrived in Little Rock, the merchandising was refreshingly uncluttered, with noticeable breathing room that actually helped to better draw the shopper's eye to the product. And with sales floor selection more limited, it reinforced a feeling of getting something special when making a purchase. (Certain brands were at higher price points, so their limited availability may have been more genuine instead of cultivated, but perhaps also more likely to sell in an environment of believed exclusivity.)

Since the conversion, the sales floor has become noticeably tighter and a bit more like Dillard's or JCPenney, with greater quantities of products at more moderate price points (while keeping some higher-end stuff), to rely more heavily on overall sales volume.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today's Restaurant Transitions in the ArkDemGaz states:

"We're checking out a report from one of our sharp-eared correspondents that there is a second Little Rock outlet of Taco Bueno in the works somewhere on West Markham Street. (We're not sure where, and West Markham is a long street.)"

Anybody have a clue where this may be going?  

On 12/29/2016 at 11:40 AM, Arkanzin said:

Today's Restaurant Transitions in the ArkDemGaz states:

"We're checking out a report from one of our sharp-eared correspondents that there is a second Little Rock outlet of Taco Bueno in the works somewhere on West Markham Street. (We're not sure where, and West Markham is a long street.)"

Anybody have a clue where this may be going?  

Could be the old Luby's. Maybe Andy's old location, but I doubt that. There's probably room for another outparcel in front of Mardel's. That's all I can think of.

On 12/31/2016 at 11:16 AM, adman0468 said:

Could be the old Luby's. Maybe Andy's old location, but I doubt that. There's probably room for another outparcel in front of Mardel's. That's all I can think of.

Luby's seems to big for a Taco Bueno.  The Andy's location is the right size but probably not the right location.  

There's not many spots left along Markham that would seem to be "right."  

2 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

Luby's seems to big for a Taco Bueno.  The Andy's location is the right size but probably not the right location.  

There's not many spots left along Markham that would seem to be "right."  

There really aren't. And if they actually mean Markham or just off Markham then the old Famous Dave's would fit but I don't think it's the best location.

And there is actually a small lot just west of the IHOP before Saver's.

It kind of feels like it is going to take a pretty good size restaurant to go into the spot where Luby's was. The Old Famous Dave's would be a good location for something for sure and I am kind of surprised nothing has popped up in that spot yet. Not sure where they could put it at but WLR would be a good spot for sure as then it would be in my area and I could eat there :)

-R

Edited by SangreRaVen

43 minutes ago, SangreRaVen said:

It kind of feels like it is going to take a pretty good size restaurant to go into the spot where Luby's was. The Old Famous Dave's would be a good location for something for sure and I am kind of surprised nothing has popped up in that spot yet. Not sure where they could put it at but WLR would be a good spot for sure as then it would be in my area and I could eat there :)

-R

I'm hoping the Luby's replacement also deals with that odd lot where the Infiniti dealer once was. The small size of the lot, combined with the fact that Entergy's road encircles it makes it a very awkward place to build. Entergy needs one connection to Markham and the rest of the road needs to be combined with the lot.

• Like 1