West Little Rock

Today's Dem-Gaz is reporting that Playtime Pizza has been shut down by the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration for "failure to pay taxes" in the amount - purportedly - of $1.4M as of February 2016.

As I recall, when the place first opened, they were at odds with the Pulaski County Assessor on that departments interpretation that they had to pay property taxes on the contents (video games, go carts, etc).  I don't know if this is really tied to the same issue, or if this is indicative of additional financial constraints since that time, I would guess largely exacerbated by the opening of Dave & Busters (though admittedly, the clientele really isn't the same).

7 hours ago, adman0468 said:

The K-Mart on Rodney Parham is on the latest list of Sears/K-Mart closures. I can't believe it's lasted this long.

If they were to kick out 10 Fitness, would it be a possible Costco location?

I very highly doubt that we will ever get a Costco in the state of Arkansas.  For the same reasons why we don't have many competitors to Dillard's.  I'm sure that Walmart would never allow a Costco to show up in the state... which is sad.

16 minutes ago, LRretail said:

I very highly doubt that we will ever get a Costco in the state of Arkansas.  For the same reasons why we don't have many competitors to Dillard's.  I'm sure that Walmart would never allow a Costco to show up in the state... which is sad.

Were you aware of the proposed "Costco" planned at the NW corner of Cantrell and I-430 a few years ago, or was that pure rumor/speculation?

14 hours ago, Architect said:

Were you aware of the proposed "Costco" planned at the NW corner of Cantrell and I-430 a few years ago, or was that pure rumor/speculation?

I know that they seriously looked at the old Sears location, but said it was too expensive (plus, I don't know how that intersection could handle the traffic).

I don't think Walmart is keeping them out of here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Architect said:

From my understanding, any occasions of Costco looking at a site in Central Arkansas have been at someone's request.  Either a developer or a property owner that would try to prop up or heighten the exposure of their development for the sake of getting tenants.  I do not believe that the "look" at 430 and Cantrell was ever a serious occurrence of Costco looking for property.  I know that the company that is in charge of attracting tenants to the old Sears site on University is good at getting national tenants.  Costco would be a good anchor for that site but I will second adman by saying that access would be tough.  I do, however, believe whole heartedly that any attempt at entry into the Arkansas market by Costco would receive a significant pushback from Walmart.  When you have the largest retailer on the planet keeping you out of their home turf, it is difficult to open.  Same fight with Dillards and Macy's, Nordstrom, et al.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know when will Playtime Pizza reopen? I know they closed two weeks ago due to failure of paying their taxes but I'm not sure if it's for good. Based on millions of tax pay they owe, I doubt it will reopen unless it will be sold to another company.

Edited by ecity3138

1 hour ago, ecity3138 said:

Does anybody know when will Playtime Pizza reopen? I know they closed two weeks ago due to failure of paying their taxes but I'm not sure if it's for good. Based on millions of tax pay they owe, I doubt it will reopen unless it will be sold to another company.

I agree that it's doubtful.  The original in Branson closed a long time ago.  That being said, I always thought it was a cool place to go (especially a few years ago when my boys were younger...though they'd still enjoy it), and I hope it does reopen.

As I understand it, I'm unclear if they really owe "millions" in taxes.  I find that hard to believe - not sure they ever saw enough revenue to generate that kind of tax.  Originally, there was a debate about including the "value" of the contents, as opposed to fixed assets (the building).  I imagine that's the disconnect.  Who knows.  Either way, I wouldn't mind one more round of laser tag!

p.s.  Dave & Buster's opening certainly didn't help their situation.

26 minutes ago, Architect said:

I agree that it's doubtful.  The original in Branson closed a long time ago.  That being said, I always thought it was a cool place to go (especially a few years ago when my boys were younger...though they'd still enjoy it), and I hope it does reopen.

As I understand it, I'm unclear if they really owe "millions" in taxes.  I find that hard to believe - not sure they ever saw enough revenue to generate that kind of tax.  Originally, there was a debate about including the "value" of the contents, as opposed to fixed assets (the building).  I imagine that's the disconnect.  Who knows.  Either way, I wouldn't mind one more round of laser tag!

p.s.  Dave & Buster's opening certainly didn't help their situation.

Maybe another company can buy the property and do major renovations to it. I would love to see Main Event Entertainment (with locations in Memphis and Dallas) take over the building. They have multi story laser tag, bowling, full service restaurant, Velocity Course, and arcade. I would be a great addition to the market. Here's the website to Main Event. 

https://www.mainevent.com/

Edited by ecity3138

13 minutes ago, ecity3138 said:

Maybe another company can buy the property and do major renovations to it. I would love to see Main Event Entertainment (with locations in Memphis and Dallas) take over the building. They have multi story laser tag, bowling, full service restaurant, Velocity Course, and arcade. I would be a great addition to the market. Here's the website to Main Event. 

Wow...the Main Event seems like a PERFECT fit for a rebranding.

Anyone remember X-Site in Riverdale (in what is now the Theater and Office Depot) in the mid-1990's?!!!!  Very cool place that was also out of Memphis.

58 minutes ago, Architect said:

Wow...the Main Event seems like a PERFECT fit for a rebranding.

Anyone remember X-Site in Riverdale (in what is now the Theater and Office Depot) in the mid-1990's?!!!!  Very cool place that was also out of Memphis.

I use to love X-Site when I was younger and so disappointed it close. I remember a McDonald's on site as well as laser tag, indoor rides, and a batting cage. Believe it or not, I still have invitation cards from X-Site. 

I agree that Main Event would be a perfect fit for the former Playtime Pizza building and would be just as fun if not better than Playtime Pizza. All Main Event needs to do is a major overhaul of the building to meet their criteria and rebrand the building with Main Event logos along with their signature attractions as mentioned previously.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

My guess is one of the car dealers will buy the lot and most likely demolish the building unless they can figure out a cost effective way to refit the building... my main reason for that guess is the lot is surrounded by car dealers up on the hill with it now. 

-R

I really hope another car dealers does not take over the building. There's enough car dealerships in that area already. I hope that another major family entertainment chain will purchase the building such as Main Event entertainment center based out of Dallas. It will be a perfect fit for the Little Rock market and rebranding of the building. They should keep it as a Family Entertainment Center.l building.

Edited by ecity3138

The whole area out there could have been set up as a pretty good little shopping area. Way back when the Rave was first built and there were plans for putting in various shopping complexes.. Then the first car dealer got built and we saw a mass exodus of dealers from their current locations to new locations out there. That area is pretty much car dealer row so I would say there is a pretty good chance one of them will snatch the lot up.

-R

Landers is already in discussion to purchase to relocate their Kia dealership there or extend Chysler Dodge Jeep into the space.  The Main Event has expressed that our market is too small for them.  Although the Movie Tavern said that as well some years ago but they are here now.  So who knows.

57 minutes ago, LRretail said:

Landers is already in discussion to purchase to relocate their Kia dealership there or extend Chysler Dodge Jeep into the space.  The Main Event has expressed that our market is too small for them.  Although the Movie Tavern said that as well some years ago but they are here now.  So who knows.

Regarding the Main Event (or any other retailer), I understand the need for a certain market size/demographic, but some of those metrics change and/or become more workable when you have unique variables - in this case, an opportunity to acquire a facility at nickels on the dollar - but since I don't know any of the details, that may be a far-fetched scenario.

p.s.  There are Main Events in Lubbock, TX and Knoxville, TN, so I don't necessarily buy the idea that our market is too small...in fact, it seems kind of silly that they wouldn't seriously consider it, given the infrastructure and current market familiarity/momentum with this concept (Playtime Pizza).

7 hours ago, LRretail said:

That's not true. I'm in talks with Main Event corporate office in Dallas regarding a potential Little Rock site   and there are exploring potential sites around the Little Rock market. Dave and Buster's requires a million population but they are here whereas Main Event requires a population of 400,000 and 500,000 within 20 miles of the site. Playtime Pizza building fits the market criteria since the average size of a typical Main Event location range from 45,000 to 60,000 square feet which Playtime Pizza building (which is a 70,000 square feet building) definitely fits with a major renovation. It would make sense for Main Event to acquire the property and due a major renovation to fit the Main Event criteria.

Edited by ecity3138
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ecity3138 said:

That's not true. I'm in talks with Main Event corporate office in Dallas regarding a potential Little Rock site   and there are exploring potential sites around the Little Rock market. Dave and Buster's requires a million population but they are here whereas Main Event requires a population of 400,000 and 500,000 within 20 miles of the site. Playtime Pizza building fits the market criteria since the average size of a typical Main Event location range from 45,000 to 60,000 square feet which Playtime Pizza building (which is a 70,000 square feet building) definitely fits with a major renovation. It would make sense for Main Event to acquire the property and due a major renovation to fit the Main Event criteria.

Well then I sincerely hope you're able to convince the people at Main Event to locate to Little Rock!  I hope you're able to convince them to seek this location before the Landers or some other car dealer acquires the space.  I also hope they don't view being in direct competition with Dave and Buster's in close proximity as a bad thing.  I personally wished that Playtime Pizza was able to stay in their location.  But like many others wasn't surprised to see it go.  I hope Little Rock can support both Main Event and Dave and Buster's.  

4 hours ago, LRretail said:

Well then I sincerely hope you're able to convince the people at Main Event to locate to Little Rock!  I hope you're able to convince them to seek this location before the Landers or some other car dealer acquires the space.  I also hope they don't view being in direct competition with Dave and Buster's in close proximity as a bad thing.  I personally wished that Playtime Pizza was able to stay in their location.  But like many others wasn't surprised to see it go.  I hope Little Rock can support both Main Event and Dave and Buster's.  

I think there's a market for both Main Event and Dave and Buster's. Main Event will just be a replacement of Playtime Pizza (with the exception of full service restaurant rather than a buffet) and caters more towards family rather than adults. A typical Main Event location features a full size bowling alley, multiple story laser tag arena, a few arcade games (not as much games like Dave and Buster's), Velocity rope course, billiards, and a full service restaurant/bar. Dave and Buster's is aimed towards young adults and have more variety of games and better alcholol and food selections in my opinion (ex: their Salmon is pretty darn good for a sports bar restaurant). I, personally, don't see any competition between the two business as the two aimed at different demographics.

As previously stated, the Playtime Pizza building fits the criteria of a Main Event location since it's in close proximity of a major intersection of I-430 and near Cinemark (formerly Rave Theater). The size of the building is large enough for Main Event to do a major facelift of the building. 

I'm also really sad to see Playtime Pizza closed because I used to love going there (ex: bumper cars and indoor race track used to be my favorite) and thought business was good despite Dave and Buster's opening 5 miles down I-430. However, I think Main Event would be a good replacement as it is a similar entertainment business.

Edited by ecity3138

18 hours ago, ecity3138 said:

I think there's a market for both Main Event and Dave and Buster's. Main Event will just be a replacement of Playtime Pizza (with the exception of full service restaurant rather than a buffet) and caters more towards family rather than adults. A typical Main Event location features a full size bowling alley, multiple story laser tag arena, a few arcade games (not as much games like Dave and Buster's), Velocity rope course, billiards, and a full service restaurant/bar. Dave and Buster's is aimed towards young adults and have more variety of games and better alcholol and food selections in my opinion (ex: their Salmon is pretty darn good for a sports bar restaurant). I, personally, don't see any competition between the two business as the two aimed at different demographics.

As previously stated, the Playtime Pizza building fits the criteria of a Main Event location since it's in close proximity of a major intersection of I-430 and near Cinemark (formerly Rave Theater). The size of the building is large enough for Main Event to do a major facelift of the building. 

I'm also really sad to see Playtime Pizza closed because I used to love going there (ex: bumper cars and indoor race track used to be my favorite) and thought business was good despite Dave and Buster's opening 5 miles down I-430. However, I think Main Event would be a good replacement as it is a similar entertainment business.

I do like Main Event.  I've been to several in different locales.  The flavor of concept, I agree, is dissimilar with respect to amenities.  I suppose that I should clarify that my hopes are that there is enough demand to support both concepts.  My experience has been that there's a consumer dollar in our market and even though two businesses are dissimilar in execution, there might not be enough of the consumer dollar to split that would make both Dave n Busters AND Main Event financially feasible for both places.  I think that Playtime Pizza was poorly operated long before Dave and Busters came along.  But Dave and Busters opening was sort of like putting an suffering dog out of its misery.  Personally I hope Main Event shows and I hope its a screaming success.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LRretail said:

I do like Main Event.  I've been to several in different locales.  The flavor of concept, I agree, is dissimilar with respect to amenities.  I suppose that I should clarify that my hopes are that there is enough demand to support both concepts.  My experience has been that there's a consumer dollar in our market and even though two businesses are dissimilar in execution, there might not be enough of the consumer dollar to split that would make both Dave n Busters AND Main Event financially feasible for both places.  I think that Playtime Pizza was poorly operated long before Dave and Busters came along.  But Dave and Busters opening was sort of like putting an suffering dog out of its misery.  Personally I hope Main Event shows and I hope its a screaming success.  

One of the mistake Playtime Pizza made was charging entry fees at the front door. This turn a lots of customers away because some people may just want to play the games and attractions rather than eating unlimited buffet which had poor food quality. The food quality during my last visit was awful (ex: even worse than a Ci Ci Pizza buffet). They did not try to provide quality ingredients on the pizza or salad. I've also heard most of the games was recently out of order due to poor maintenance. 

Playtime Pizza could be an awesome concept (even after Dave and Buster's opens) if the management took care of their business. They should of have a separate fees for the buffet area while not charging entrance fee to get in the building. They should update their attractions such as new arcade games, indoor rides, upgrade the laser tag to a multiple story arena, and to put some effort on their food.

With that said, Main Event offers similar attractions to Playtime Pizza with the exception of a full scale bowling alley, high velocity ropes rather than bumper cars and indoor go karts, and a full service restaurant/ bar instead of a buffet. I don't think Main Event will affect business at Dave and Buster's because both concepts aimed at different demographics. I, too, really want both Main Event and Dave and Buster's to be successful in the Little Rock market.

Edited by ecity3138