West Little Rock

Ark Business mentioned that Carmax is looking to put a location in on Col Glenn. This is a mega-dealership that is common in larger metros and takes away the typical negotiation process for cars in return for lower prices. It would employ 100. All in all, it would be a nice alternate choice for LR.

Wow...I missed that somehow. Quite a nice alternative to all the local used car dealerships.

• 10 months later...

So does anyone know if the large structure under construction in front of the Rave (east of...toward I-430) that you can see from the freeway is the new Mercedes Dealership? I'm not talking about the hokey standard prototype Honda dealership also under construction further west.

So does anyone know if the large structure under construction in front of the Rave (east of...toward I-430) that you can see from the freeway is the new Mercedes Dealership? I'm not talking about the hokey standard prototype Honda dealership also under construction further west.

Yes, Honda is the west one and Mercedes is the one closer to the Interstate. I'm still not sure that's the best place for a Mercedes dealer - right next to Kia, but I guess visibility will be good. I hear they're keeping the body shop at the old location, but not sure what's planned for the rest of the old site.

Yes, Honda is the west one and Mercedes is the one closer to the Interstate. I'm still not sure that's the best place for a Mercedes dealer - right next to Kia, but I guess visibility will be good. I hear they're keeping the body shop at the old location, but not sure what's planned for the rest of the old site.

I agree it's a mistake to move the dealership to the burbs. I'm not saying that the current Riverdale location is ideal, but MANY of their current customers live in the Heights and mid-town, and it's on the way to downtown for all other west LR customers convenient for drop off. It will now be COMPLETELY out of the way for almost all of their customers needing service, and that's a real negative.

Having said all of that, a big, new, shiny (modern?) dealership will be impressive.

• 11 months later...

Arkansas Business is reporting that Steve Landers is buying the existing Land Rover/Jaguar dealership from the Southern Automotive group and will be adding Volkswagen. Ironically, the article did not say anything about the existing Lincoln franchise at that location, nor did it mention whether or not this is a NEW VW dealership for the market, or if the North Point VW is being relocated. I assume it's a new franchise in ADDITION to North Point, or it would have mentioned that being purchased from North Point (I presume). Interesting.

Arkansas Business is reporting that Steve Landers is buying the existing Land Rover/Jaguar dealership from the Southern Automotive group and will be adding Volkswagen. Ironically, the article did not say anything about the existing Lincoln franchise at that location, nor did it mention whether or not this is a NEW VW dealership for the market, or if the North Point VW is being relocated. I assume it's a new franchise in ADDITION to North Point, or it would have mentioned that being purchased from North Point (I presume). Interesting.

This is not a relocation of the North Point.

I noticed that it didn't mention Lincoln, either. I could easily see it being lifted out.

On another automotive dealer note, I noticed that the former Chenal Parkway Pontiac/Buick/GMC at the corner of Chenal and Markham has survey stakes around the edge of the property. The for sale sign is still up, but the stakes are usually a sign that someone is making an offer or expecting to close. As far as possible auto dealers to take it over, I guess it could be a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. Not sure what other company would even need a location, but let's speculate, shall we? Personally, I'd move the Infiniti dealer from Markham. Their lot is not well laid out at all.

I noticed that it didn't mention Lincoln, either. I could easily see it being lifted out.

On another automotive dealer note, I noticed that the former Chenal Parkway Pontiac/Buick/GMC at the corner of Chenal and Markham has survey stakes around the edge of the property. The for sale sign is still up, but the stakes are usually a sign that someone is making an offer or expecting to close. As far as possible auto dealers to take it over, I guess it could be a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. Not sure what other company would even need a location, but let's speculate, shall we? Personally, I'd move the Infiniti dealer from Markham. Their lot is not well laid out at all.

Infiniti would be a good fit for that location. I've found it incredulous that Infinity built a high-end dealership on Colonel Glenn, and within a year turned it into some lame Korean joint, then moved back to their old, inadequate location (where they still are).

By the way, I'd hate to see Lincoln go from the Jaguar/Range Rover (and now VW) dealership. Lincoln is now building some fine product, and it made sense when Ford owned all three. Now that they don't, I can see the chances of a possible change becoming more likely.

Infiniti would be a good fit for that location. I've found it incredulous that Infinity built a high-end dealership on Colonel Glenn, and within a year turned it into some lame Korean joint, then moved back to their old, inadequate location (where they still are).

By the way, I'd hate to see Lincoln go from the Jaguar/Range Rover (and now VW) dealership. Lincoln is now building some fine product, and it made sense when Ford owned all three. Now that they don't, I can see the chances of a possible change becoming more likely.

I thought the move to Col. Glenn and back to Markham was weird, too. Although they didn't actually move into their old space. That was across the street. They moved into the old Mazda dealership, which did move to Col. Glenn and stay there.

Back on the topic of the old Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealer - it could be demolished or converted and used for any other of a number of businesses. Although it sits next to the empty Sharper Image and old Alltel store, so there's plenty of available retail space at that corner already.

• 1 month later...

Back on the topic of the old Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealer - it could be demolished or converted and used for any other of a number of businesses. Although it sits next to the empty Sharper Image and old Alltel store, so there's plenty of available retail space at that corner already.

There's been some word that David Parker purchased the B/P/GMC location and will relocate Audi and possibly seek a second brand to fill the space. But I could definitely be wrong about that.

There's been some word that David Parker purchased the B/P/GMC location and will relocate Audi and possibly seek a second brand to fill the space. But I could definitely be wrong about that.

Please let it be Porsche...beyond belief they aren't in this market. However, Porsche had traditionally been paired with Audi dealers because of their common ancestry, but in the past decade, they have been trying to distance themselves as independent, stand-alone dealers. Audi is currently housed as a stand-alone dealer...not sure if Porsche would go along with it or not.

Please let it be Porsche...beyond belief they aren't in this market. However, Porsche had traditionally been paired with Audi dealers because of their common ancestry, but in the past decade, they have been trying to distance themselves as independent, stand-alone dealers. Audi is currently housed as a stand-alone dealer...not sure if Porsche would go along with it or not.

The Audi dealer does seem cramped in its current location and I know that the company's goal is to be the #1 selling luxury brand worldwide by 2015, so it would be a good move for them.

And, yes, we are past due for a Porsche franchise.

Well, I can answer my own question...I happened to drive by tonight and all the Lincoln signage and product is gone. I hate that...Lincoln has some nice product now (and coming), and it was a good fit with the higher-end Jaguar/Land Rover. However, I can understand the need to provide a lower-end "baseline" product to augment the lower volumes typical with higher-end vehicles. Nice to have a closer VW dealer (to me), but now I'm unsure where Lincoln went!

I misunderstood this the first time I read it. I thought it was to move Audi to Markham/Chenal and let Porsche take over the old Audi dealership. I think Audi could take the entire Markham/Chenal dealer, but maybe it's bigger than I realize.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Arkansas Business reports that Crain Ford Chenal will be moving to the Village at Brodie Creek, the undeveloped project at the NW corner of I-430 and Col. Glenn. Ground breaking is this Friday and grand opening should be about a year from now. No word on what will happen to the existing dealership on Chenal.

Arkansas Business reports that Crain Ford Chenal will be moving to the Village at Brodie Creek, the undeveloped project at the NW corner of I-430 and Col. Glenn. Ground breaking is this Friday and grand opening should be about a year from now. No word on what will happen to the existing dealership on Chenal.

WHAT?! Their current dealership is more-or-less brand new! Wow...what a waste. Hopefully they have other plans or a potential buyer, but who wouldn't want to be on Chenal Parkway? I suppose they feel they're too removed from major interstate access (which could certainly be a concern).

WHAT?! Their current dealership is more-or-less brand new! Wow...what a waste. Hopefully they have other plans or a potential buyer, but who wouldn't want to be on Chenal Parkway? I suppose they feel they're too removed from major interstate access (which could certainly be a concern).

That's what I thought... I was out at that Kroger the other day and that dealership looked pretty new itself to me. Building a dealership isn't a cheap endeavor, I can't imagine why I'd want to do it that frequently if I didn't have to.

• 3 months later...

Not sure where to put this as there is no area for West Little Rock that isn't Shackleford Crossings, Pleasant Ridge or the Promenade.

David's Burgers is going in at 101 Bowman. I think that is the address for San Francisco Bread Company. Did it go out? That shows how much interest I had in that place.

Not sure where to put this as there is no area for West Little Rock that isn't Shackleford Crossings, Pleasant Ridge or the Promenade.

David's Burgers is going in at 101 Bowman. I think that is the address for San Francisco Bread Company. Did it go out? That shows how much interest I had in that place.

Yes, that was the location of San Francisco Bread Company, they closed maybe 3-4 weeks ago.

• 2 months later...

Ross Dress for Less has applied for a plumbing permit for a location at 9101 West Markham, Suite 12. That would be in the same shopping center as Burlington Coat Factory. I drive by there every day but I haven't noticed an empty location for Ross. I'll drive by again this evening and take another look.

Just checked online. PC Hardware's address is Suite 12. I didn't realize PC Hardware had gone out of business. I'll update again this evening.

This would be Ross' first store in Arkansas.

Edited by Arkanzin