West Little Rock

Ross Dress for Less has applied for a plumbing permit for a location at 9101 West Markham, Suite 12. That would be in the same shopping center as Burlington Coat Factory. I drive by there every day but I haven't noticed an empty location for Ross. I'll drive by again this evening and take another look.

Just checked online. PC Hardware's address is Suite 12. I didn't realize PC Hardware had gone out of business. I'll update again this evening.

This would be Ross' first store in Arkansas.

Not necessarily. Ross announced a store for Rogers, AR late last year and aimed to have it open this year. I don't know if it has opened yet or not, but it would almost definitely open before our Little Rock location.

Not necessarily. Ross announced a store for Rogers, AR late last year and aimed to have it open this year. I don't know if it has opened yet or not, but it would almost definitely open before our Little Rock location.

Whoa!? PC Hardware (and Lighting?) went out of business?

Ross Dress for Less has applied for a plumbing permit for a location at 9101 West Markham, Suite 12. That would be in the same shopping center as Burlington Coat Factory. I drive by there every day but I haven't noticed an empty location for Ross. I'll drive by again this evening and take another look.

Just checked online. PC Hardware's address is Suite 12. I didn't realize PC Hardware had gone out of business. I'll update again this evening.

This would be Ross' first store in Arkansas.

I'm excited for this store to come to Arkansas and think it would do well here. I don't understand, however, why would they choose to locate there considering you got other shopping centers (like Shackleford Crossing) with empty storefronts.

I'm excited for this store to come to Arkansas and think it would do well here. I don't understand, however, why would they choose to locate there considering you got other shopping centers (like Shackleford Crossing) with empty storefronts.

Ross is 30,000 sf. Not sure there is space at Shackleford that can accommodate.

I feel with Burlington right next door, perhaps the old Linens n things building would have been a better site.

I hadn't even thought about that location, but I think you may be right. That location is very visible and it'd be nice to see it as a retail store again. Maybe Burlington and Ross together will create more draw to that shopping center, but I don't know.

• 2 months later...

According to Arkansas Business, Lowe’s is eyeing the parcel of land at the NW corner of Kanis and Bowman. I may be remembering this incorrectly, but it seems like they (or another big-box retailer) attempted to place a store in this location several years ago, but were denied. Since that time, I’ve heard rumors periodically that they were still looking in West Little Rock, but it seems strange that they would attempt to build at the originally planned location (with seemingly the same issues), when there are several other options available.

In another Bowman Road-related item, Larry’s Pizza will open a restaurant in the former Dragon Palace Buffet location at the Bowman Station shopping center – 801 South Bowman Road.

According to Arkansas Business, Lowe’s is eyeing the parcel of land at the NW corner of Kanis and Bowman. I may be remembering this incorrectly, but it seems like they (or another big-box retailer) attempted to place a store in this location several years ago, but were denied. Since that time, I’ve heard rumors periodically that they were still looking in West Little Rock, but it seems strange that they would attempt to build at the originally planned location (with seemingly the same issues), when there are several other options available.

In another Bowman Road-related item, Larry’s Pizza will open a restaurant in the former Dragon Palace Buffet location at the Bowman Station shopping center – 801 South Bowman Road.

I'm disappointed they have waited so long to attempt to build in the WLR market again, but I hope they succeed this time.

Larry's. The most over-hyped pizza ever. Seriously. [my personal editorial]

I like Larry's, but not because their regular pizza is anything amazing. (Although the Fat Larry is quite good.) The crazy variety of types of pizza they offer you can't easily get elsewhere is what makes them likable in my book, and the pizza parade is an interesting buffet idea. The Buffalo Chicken is amazing, the Chicken Parmesan is good (and unique), and their dessert pizzas are great. They may not be the absolute best traditional pizza in town, but they have a unique business model and offer virtually anything a customer could want and it seems to work for them, which I think should be respected. [my personal editorial :P] (I kid, I kid- everyone is entitled to their restaurant opinions)

I notice a sign posted today that there will be a public hearing August 11 to discuss changing the name of "Lile Drive" (where the Baptist Health complex is located in Little Rock) to "Baptist Health Drive." There are several non-Baptist properties along the 1/2 mile street, but I can't imagine many of them protesting.

I have no idea who Lile Drive was originally named after. Anyone?

I notice a sign posted today that there will be a public hearing August 11 to discuss changing the name of "Lile Drive" (where the Baptist Health complex is located in Little Rock) to "Baptist Health Drive." There are several non-Baptist properties along the 1/2 mile street, but I can't imagine many of them protesting.

I have no idea who Lile Drive was originally named after. Anyone?

I imagine it was named for R.E. "Brick" Lile a prominent LR businessman and a member of the Baptist Hospital board.

Is it just me or does it seem like the progress on the Ross store is taking forever? I can't imagine that the building was in such terrible shape that they had to completely gut it but maybe it was. I think they completely tore the inside down to the foundation. They also tore off the facade and have put up the skeleton of a new facade that makes the building look to be two story even though it's not.

David's Burgers is now open. (I think!) I may go check it out tomorrow.

A new Kroger gas station is nearly constructed on Rodney Parham, between Treasure Hills Boulevard and Reservoir Drive. I think it was the former site of a KFC or Captain Ds. Has Kroger ever built a gas station that wasn't located on the parking lot of a Kroger store?

I had heard more than a year ago that Taco Bueno was going in on Shackleford near Kanis but haven't heard anything further. Anybody got any updates? Shackleford Crossings, perhaps?

Any info on the Village of Brodie Creek? I was on my way to the Rave theater and saw the site cleared for both Shoppes at Colonel Glenn and the Village of Brodie Creek. I also noticed a sign that says, "Village at Brodie Creek mixed used development 80 acres". I'm wonder what tenants may go in the Village at Brodie Creek. Hopefully not another car dealerships as that area have enough already. I want to see retail, restaurants, office, and entertainment in the development.

Edited by ecity3138

A new Kroger gas station is nearly constructed on Rodney Parham, between Treasure Hills Boulevard and Reservoir Drive. I think it was the former site of a KFC or Captain Ds. Has Kroger ever built a gas station that wasn't located on the parking lot of a Kroger store?

I've seen many independent Kroger/Dillon Fuel Centers in other states ... but this will be the first for Arkansas.

Is it just me or does it seem like the progress on the Ross store is taking forever? I can't imagine that the building was in such terrible shape that they had to completely gut it but maybe it was. I think they completely tore the inside down to the foundation. They also tore off the facade and have put up the skeleton of a new facade that makes the building look to be two story even though it's not.

David's Burgers is now open. (I think!) I may go check it out tomorrow.

I had heard more than a year ago that Taco Bueno was going in on Shackleford near Kanis but haven't heard anything further. Anybody got any updates? Shackleford Crossings, perhaps?

KFC was at Rodney Parham and Towne Oaks, the site of the Kroger gas station currently under construction. But Captain D's was once nearby, almost at the corner of Rodney Parham and Reservoir. The current Walgreens property incorporates former sites of Captain D's, Exxon, a TCBY-turned-tobacco shop, and Casey's BBQ. Kroger's entry is the first new gas station in the Treasure Hills area since three others were closed: the Rodney Parham/Reservoir Exxon, Jackpot at Rodney Parham and Treasure Hills (now Advance Auto Parts), and E-Z Mart which was on the current Starbucks property.

As for Taco Bueno, it'd be nice enough on Shackleford. If it was going to be near Kanis outside of a shopping center, though, I'm not sure where it could be built without causing something else to be torn down. Maybe another possibility, if Shackleford Crossings doesn't pan out, would be carving out a portion of Target's parking lot, in the manner of the Chick-Fil-A at Home Depot. Or they could always build at Pleasant Ridge Town Center, where it'd be (still longish) walking distance for me! :P

Any info on the Village of Brodie Creek? I was on my way to the Rave theater and saw the site cleared for both Shoppes at Colonel Glenn and the Village of Brodie Creek. I also noticed a sign that says, "Village at Brodie Creek mixed used development 80 acres". I'm wonder what tenants may go in the Village at Brodie Creek. Hopefully not another car dealerships as that area have enough already.

Edited by ecity3138

• 7 months later...

It looks like Panera, once rumored to be going in Park Avenue, is going to locate at Shackleford and Kanis. It is listed as a freestanding location (no surprise at that corner), with a drive through. I don't like this location near as much as Midtown (nor do I think the volume/traffic will be as good), but I'm sure they have their reasons for not trying to work something out with them.

Plumbing permit: http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/eng/planreview/PLUMB/80748.htm

It looks like Panera, once rumored to be going in Park Avenue, is going to locate at Shackleford and Kanis. It is listed as a freestanding location (no surprise at that corner), with a drive through. I don't like this location near as much as Midtown (nor do I think the volume/traffic will be as good), but I'm sure they have their reasons for not trying to work something out with them.

Plumbing permit: http://www.healthy.a...PLUMB/80748.htm

That's very curious. I don't think this offers much geographic diversity with their other location. So for those of us in mid-town, the question then has to be which suburban location to drive to. Disappointing.

That's very curious. I don't think this offers much geographic diversity with their other location. So for those of us in mid-town, the question then has to be which suburban location to drive to. Disappointing.

I know. A downtown location or a midtown location would be phenomenal and it would get the Midtown/Hillcrest/Heights crowd like me that isn't going to drive out to Cantrell to hit up Panera. if they put one downtown near the River Market or on Main in the next few years I'll forgive this indiscretion :D . I mainly just don't understand this site location. I would have thought they would have put it by Shackleford Crossings and those hotels (or at least closer) if they wanted a location in that area instead of at an intersection that just has a gas station and isn't very visible from anywhere else or connected to any developments with foot traffic from other retailers. You're right though, this doesn't really help their accessibility in the Little Rock market as much as a Midtown location would have. Or a North Little Rock location near McCain. Strange choice.

Well, there's already one on McCain at Lakewood Village. But yes, downtown would have been a magnificent location. One of the empty shops there could have been renovated.

Question?

Would this new location be located across from the burger place at Kanis & Shackleford?

Well, there's already one on McCain at Lakewood Village. But yes, downtown would have been a magnificent location. One of the empty shops there could have been renovated.

Question?

Would this new location be located across from the burger place at Kanis & Shackleford?

Ah, I completely forgot about that location.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be across from it, or actually at the site of the former burger place. It moved to a new location recently so the property was available I believe. The lot the burger place is on would be a lot easier to develop terrain wise, but I don't know how long this location has been in the works, so it may pre-date that place moving.