West Little Rock

Anyone have an idea of what's going up on Wellington Hills Rd behind Walgreens? Looks like a metal building with a wall down the middle like it could be for two businesses. Small lot so it can't be anything too big. Not a fan of the Murphy Express station going in at Chenal and Markham. If anything we could use a Kum N' Go or Mapco Express. Those tend to be a little higher quality than Murphy. Good ol' Chip and his cash to throw around!

Tried out La Madeleine today for lunch, this is still within their first week open so they are super busy.. hopefully some of that dies down some... the food is good for the most part but I did spot a few issues. Again I know they are busy but it took about 45 minutes for our food to come out and it did not all come out even close to the same time. So you had one person in the party with food and the other waiting about 10 minutes longer... I honestly think with the rate the the kitchen was turning out food (which was fast) either they gave the food away to someone else in error or forgot about it and either did not make it or it go cold and had to be redone. They also need to do something about how they have the wait line... right now it curls out into the dining area which makes it difficult for ppl at tables near there to eat.. imagine eating your meal and having ppl standing right next to your table watching you.. just seems like better planning could be done. Last and the more concerning is this free bread they have, its up near the drink and you can serve yourself to various types of small free bread slices and free jams.. the concern is they don't have anything assigned for ppl to reach in and get the bread with, you just use your hands... and checking on it, it seems this is how they do it... hopefully they will add some tongs or something as it did not seem very hygienic.. other than that I think its a nice addition to the Little Rock dining scene. I suggest downloading their app if you get a chance so you can earn rewards and they do offer free wifi there as well which is always a plus :)

-R

58 minutes ago, SangreRaVen said:

Tried out La Madeleine today for lunch, this is still within their first week open so they are super busy.. hopefully some of that dies down some... the food is good for the most part but I did spot a few issues. Again I know they are busy but it took about 45 minutes for our food to come out and it did not all come out even close to the same time. So you had one person in the party with food and the other waiting about 10 minutes longer... I honestly think with the rate the the kitchen was turning out food (which was fast) either they gave the food away to someone else in error or forgot about it and either did not make it or it go cold and had to be redone. They also need to do something about how they have the wait line... right now it curls out into the dining area which makes it difficult for ppl at tables near there to eat.. imagine eating your meal and having ppl standing right next to your table watching you.. just seems like better planning could be done. Last and the more concerning is this free bread they have, its up near the drink and you can serve yourself to various types of small free bread slices and free jams.. the concern is they don't have anything assigned for ppl to reach in and get the bread with, you just use your hands... and checking on it, it seems this is how they do it... hopefully they will add some tongs or something as it did not seem very hygienic.. other than that I think its a nice addition to the Little Rock dining scene. I suggest downloading their app if you get a chance so you can earn rewards and they do offer free wifi there as well which is always a plus :)

-R

It's been very busy there ever since they opened.  I noticed that if you have several people in your group and everyone orders separately you may get orders coming to your group at different times depending on what each person ordered.  Personally, I'm sure they didn't plan for lines to be so long so I'm uncertain as to what one would expect them to do about the line except let the line go out the door.  Which is what happened while I was there.  I'm not sure what happened while you were there but the bread station had thongs on a holder next to the tray of bread.  One guy in front of me tried to get the bread with his hands and one of the employees almost came unglued asking him multiple times to use the thongs.  My wife is a la Madeleine fanatic so I'm sure we'll be going back again and again.  It's our place to get coffee and desserts from now on.  They're new and once the wait times and lines simmer down I'm sure the issues will get ironed out.  The first time we went it was during peak time at lunch and everything seemed to be operating very well.  We've been waiting for la Madeleine to open for years.  Let's hope they open some more locations.

Oh I do plan to try it again, that is for sure, like I said the food itself was very good. That being said we were not the only ones with issues with food coming out late, I think the kitchen was moving quickly but honestly I think they had more ppl than they could handle. So they were either taking food to the wrong places or forgetting about it and letting it get cold and having to redo it. Well while we were there an employee refilled the bread station and did not place any tongs anywhere in the area. She actually put the bread out with her hands though thankfully they were gloved but ppl were going right up reaching in with their hands while she was over there and she didn't seem to care. I am sure they will get most of their issues ironed out as they are open longer and the crowds die down. One thing any new restaurant should now by now if they look at other new to market openings is that most ppl in this area tend to slam new places for the first several weeks :P Arkansas likes to eat!!

-R

We've been to La Madeleine several times and LOVE the food. In fact, our family is a diehard fan—in spite of the service issues.

They definitely have issues with food prep time. It has taken too long to receive our food the 3 or 4 times we have been since they opened.

Also, a member of the Chi family was at the restaurant on Saturday. He was extremely rude to his employees and customers. He told the lady taking our order: "Hurry up and move the line." Then he scolded my daughter for getting bread in a to-go container because there were no more plates. Honestly, I hope he goes back to his other restaurant! Also, the silverware was absolutely nasty. I went through 4 or 5 spoons before I found one without food residue.

Overall, we will go often because we enjoy the food; however, I do hope the service issues get fixed soon!

I saw lots of ppl getting their bread in to go containers because they had no plates... they better never scold anyone I am with at that place over something like that, you have no plates and you try to scold your paying customer for using what is available? 

-R

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Allen Alexander said:

I read somewhere that said Costco was searching in little rock. I feel like west little rock or gateway town center would be the best places to put Costco. There isn't a for sure plot of land where it will be built, but gateway town center was a place tossed around as a good location.

The rumor was...and this is so strange...that their original site was the Northwest intersection of Cantrell and I-430.  It met lots of resistance, as you can imagine.  I've heard nothing since...

1 hour ago, Architect said:

The rumor was...and this is so strange...that their original site was the Northwest intersection of Cantrell and I-430.  It met lots of resistance, as you can imagine.  I've heard nothing since...

There was a tweet from a news anchor that said they would cover it tonight. I'm not sure who it was. I will search for it again.

This is what I found. It was a tweet from Lara woloszyn, who is a producer of thv11

Edited by Allen Alexander

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ArkansasTraveler said:

How long ago were the first rumblings of Lowe's wanting that spot? About 15 years ago or so?

About then.  Back then the City decided the lot was too small for a Lowe's footprint so Hank's built in a portion of the location.  Now it's just the right size.  City logic.

Of course, Lowe's may have purchased the adjoining property to the west of the original site along Kanis Road.

16 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

JJ's Grill, the growing chain of restaurant/bars from Northwest Arkansas, is expanding into Little Rock.  It will be opening in the former location of Another Round, 12111 West Markham, according to the JJ's website.  

Coming Soon

I really enjoyed JJ's when I lived in Conway. Live music and $1 beer specials, can't beat that. Great addition if it can last. Parking will be an issue over there though, especially at lunch.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The model for the McDonald's is underway, noticed the new building where the old Cactus Jack's was has now added Cornerstone Pharmacy in addition to the previously opened dentist place. I have no heard anything else about the Lowe's going over at Kanis and Bowman, anyone heard any updates?

-R

On 10/17/2016 at 3:13 PM, SangreRaVen said:

The model for the McDonald's is underway, noticed the new building where the old Cactus Jack's was has now added Cornerstone Pharmacy in addition to the previously opened dentist place. I have no heard anything else about the Lowe's going over at Kanis and Bowman, anyone heard any updates?

-R

Dead deal for the time being.

I really am surprised no one has snatched up that huge lot next to Kroger and tried to put a shopping complex out there.. while it is a little further out because of its location near the Kroger it seems it would do well and also be a prime location for a Lowe's if you wanted to build one as a possible anchor store along with a few others :)

-R

A Lowe's on that property seems like it would be a no-brainer:  lots of room on the site for an ample store size with parking to match, in a location on the edge of the city's growth pattern. If anything is a potential red flag, it would be how close the build is to Rock Creek, which runs to the south of the site before continuing east toward Fourche Creek.

I guess I shouldn't say that the deal is dead as much as it is in a holding pattern.  The plumbing was put in as part of the due diligence process.  Lowe's had to make sure they could put the building in without any issues.  But from what I'm being told the land acquisition has hit some bumps.  Lowe's had looked at this particular property a number of times.  It was actually cleared for Lowe's to use it back when the Hank's furniture store was built.  If Lowe's and the current owners can come to an agreement on some things this may still happen.  But it's not likely going to start construction or anything any time soon.

The reason why the land next to Kroger has not developed is because of the Whisenhunts family who owns the property.  They have lots of money stashed away and don't exactly need to do anything.  They are very deliberate in their development process.  One of the primary architects of the Shackleford Crossing development now works for them.  I think they've drawn up a development plan about 10 times.  There's been an effort to pull in upscale brands into a shopping center on that property but they've all gone over to Promenade.  Because of the cost of the land, which will be expensive, and the behavior of the current owners it will likely be many years before something is constructed there.