West Little Rock

ZIN Wine bar has opened their West Little Rock location in the Market Place Shopping Center right next to Mickey's Cakes. It looks like it will be a great addition to what is goin on in that area with new offerings such as Petit and Keet as well as the established businesses already there (The Pantry, Table 28, Taj Mahal, Vesuvio, Grady's, The Terrace... and the list goes on...). Hopefully this will prompt more investment in the area and continue the resurgence. Look forward to trying out ZIN WEST!  The picture is something I snapped while passing by one day as it was near completion...

ZIN.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Chili's is abandoning its location at Rodney Parham and I-430 to relocate near Markham and Chenal.

Where at Markham and Chenal is the question. 

The old Luby's site?   Tear down and replace?  

I keep thinking the car dealership at the corner will close one day.  I could see a tear down and replace there as well. 

23 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

Chili's is abandoning its location at Rodney Parham and I-430 to relocate near Markham and Chenal.

Where at Markham and Chenal is the question. 

The old Luby's site?   Tear down and replace?  

I keep thinking the car dealership at the corner will close one day.  I could see a tear down and replace there as well. 

It seems a little odd that they would move their location farther away from the interstate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ramono’s Macaroni Grill on Markham has closed permanently as of last night. Found out when trying to eat lunch and everything was being carted out of the restaurant. The manager came out and spoke to us apologizing. It was the only one in the state of Arkansas. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walls99 said:

Ramono’s Macaroni Grill on Markham has closed permanently as of last night. Found out when trying to eat lunch and everything was being carted out of the restaurant. The manager came out and spoke to us apologizing. It was the only one in the state of Arkansas. 

It would seem that a lot of them have closed across our region (for example, OKC and Tulsa locations are permanently closed).  This is too bad, as they were always consistently good.  But, at 25+ years old, I think it had its run and new found competition and mindshare (of other locations) just passed it by.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, dnashobviously said:

With all the Toys R Us stores shutting down due to their bankruptcy, I wonder what could potentially go into that space on Chenal?

Maybe a major family entertainment center (ex: Incredible Pizza Company even though the space is kind of small for them) can locate in that space.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 1:47 AM, dnashobviously said:

With all the Toys R Us stores shutting down due to their bankruptcy, I wonder what could potentially go into that space on Chenal?

I know the likelihood is practically nil, but wouldn't that be a great location for a Trader Joe's?  

I know, I know...dream on!  

The lot formerly occupied by KFC at the corner of Markham Park Drive and Markham Street has been vacant for what seems like forever following the fire that destroyed it.   I drove by there yesterday and the building is practically built.  How did this happen so fast?  I swear I drove by there last weekend and there was nothing much except perhaps a concrete slab.  Is that a prefab buildings which is just moved piece by piece to the site?  It has to be.  I swear I don't recall anything but a concrete slab there until this week.  

49 minutes ago, Arkanzin said:

The lot formerly occupied by KFC at the corner of Markham Park Drive and Markham Street has been vacant for what seems like forever following the fire that destroyed it.   I drove by there yesterday and the building is practically built.  How did this happen so fast?  I swear I drove by there last weekend and there was nothing much except perhaps a concrete slab.  Is that a prefab buildings which is just moved piece by piece to the site?  It has to be.  I swear I don't recall anything but a concrete slab there until this week.  

It's been under construction for a while...either way, traditional construction for something as mundane as a retail outlet, handled by contractors who specialize in that, go really quickly.

On 3/16/2018 at 1:47 AM, dnashobviously said:

I could see a Dick’s Sporting Goods or another big box retailer occupying the space. I’m not sure on Trader Joe’s even though that would be nice.

7 hours ago, ecity3138 said:

The former Luby’s building has been demolished to make way for the new Chili’s that will relocate from the current location on Rodney Parahm.

I still fail to see where this is a better location than direct access to a freeway.  Either way, Chili's has become so passe and uncompetitive from a quality standpoint, I'm not sure it's going to matter.

13 hours ago, Architect said:

I still fail to see where this is a better location than direct access to a freeway.  Either way, Chili's has become so passe and uncompetitive from a quality standpoint, I'm not sure it's going to matter.

I was wondering the same thing.  From Chenal, it's not very visible because of everything that blocks it in that area (gas station, Genghis Grill) and that part of Markham I just don't see anyone who isn't local using that road unless they specifically sought out that restaurant to eat there...I may be wrong though.  

I would think a restaurant would prefer to be right off an interstate to attract travelers and be easily accessible.  I thought their current location was fine! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Littlerock499 said:

FWIW, Arkansas Online reports that the owners of the shopping center are in "active negotiations" to fill the soon-to-be vacated Chili's spot with a "similar venue to what Chili's does."

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/apr/15/4-2m-in-transactions-redivide-ownership/

I wonder if it’s another chain restaurant such as TGI Friday’s or a similar chain?

5 hours ago, dnashobviously said:

I was wondering the same thing.  From Chenal, it's not very visible because of everything that blocks it in that area (gas station, Genghis Grill) and that part of Markham I just don't see anyone who isn't local using that road unless they specifically sought out that restaurant to eat there...I may be wrong though.  

I would think a restaurant would prefer to be right off an interstate to attract travelers and be easily accessible.  I thought their current location was fine! 

I agree. I understand they want a bigger space but I think they would be much better at the former Sears site on University than on W. Markham across from Home Depot. That’s not a good location for a restaurant like that.

Edited by ecity3138

3 hours ago, ecity3138 said:

I wonder if it’s another chain restaurant such as TGI Friday’s or a similar chain?

I agree. I understand they want a bigger space but I think they would be much better at the former Sears site on University than on W. Markham across from Home Depot. That’s not a good location for a restaurant like that.

By chance, I drove by the site for the new Chili's tonight, and frankly, it's very visible...it fronts Markham.  If they build it closer to the street than Luby's, it will have great visibility.  Markham and Chenal is a pretty high-profile intersection in the metro, though I still would argue it's no better than their current location.  Maybe there's value in a NEW facility (rather than leasing a storefront).  Most Chili's are standalone.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think some chains are starting to outsource their real estate efforts to Chick-fil-a - i.e., simply following them wherever they go knowing it is a good location that will be extremely high-traffic.  I've noticed many chains seem to congregate around CFA. I know this one's been there for a while but wouldn't be surprised if that entered the calculus when Chilis was evaluating real estate in the area, especially with that lot being vacant right across the street. 

15 hours ago, Architect said:

By chance, I drove by the site for the new Chili's tonight, and frankly, it's very visible...it fronts Markham.  If they build it closer to the street than Luby's, it will have great visibility.  Markham and Chenal is a pretty high-profile intersection in the metro, though I still would argue it's no better than their current location.  Maybe there's value in a NEW facility (rather than leasing a storefront).  Most Chili's are standalone.

I wonder what will replace the existing Chili’s location?