West Little Rock

2 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

Possibly, I imagine they would either need to gut and remodel it or demolish the current building in favor of a new one though. It might be a decent spot for them though, guess it all depends on why they are moving for sure and if they want to stay in WLR. 

Hard to say for sure why the move is under consideration. Ultimately, it comes down to financial viability, but that's also one burger-heavy part of town — ranging from McDonald's, Burger King, and Sonic, to places like Five Guys, Burger 21, and Freddie's that are more in line with the David's subcategory. Shifting farther west or to the north (Highway 10 or Rodney Parham corridor) might be the way to go for David's.

I know they have the new center being built down by Kroger and their is also the next areas being built over where the old Crain Ford was down Chenal. I am sure wherever they end of if they do indeed move will need to be somewhere high enough profile to not have a negative impact on their business. At their current location they are always busy around lunch and dinner times. 

-R

• 2 weeks later...

The owner of David’s has been in a lengthy court battle with the bank that owns the building.  He has a history of getting into cheaper leases.  If any of you will recall the space was occupied by a failed cafe before David’s located there. The bank doesn’t have a very profitable lease with David’s so they’ve been trying to kick them out for years so they could sell the property to CVS. Pretty greedy.  But no doubt a business decision in the banks part. They won’t be renewing David’s lease so it’s forcing them to relocate. My bet is it’s moving to the old Mexico Chiquito on Cantrell which the owner of David’s bought a few months ago. 

As another sign that the restaurant scene in Little Rock is contracting, the Krispy Kreme on Shackleford near Kanis will be closing as soon as the property owner finds a new tenant or can sell the property.  There’s also another restaurant near Chenal and Markham that will be closing in the next six months though I cannot disclose who that is right now.  There has also been some talk about the Juicy Seafood in Pleasant Ridge closing in the near future with sales being less than expected and a high rent factor. 

1 hour ago, LRretail said:

The owner of David’s has been in a lengthy court battle with the bank that owns the building.  He has a history of getting into cheaper leases.  If any of you will recall the space was occupied by a failed cafe before David’s located there. The bank doesn’t have a very profitable lease with David’s so they’ve been trying to kick them out for years so they could sell the property to CVS. Pretty greedy.  But no doubt a business decision in the banks part. They won’t be renewing David’s lease so it’s forcing them to relocate. My bet is it’s moving to the old Mexico Chiquito on Cantrell which the owner of David’s bought a few months ago. 

As another sign that the restaurant scene in Little Rock is contracting, the Krispy Kreme on Shackleford near Kanis will be closing as soon as the property owner finds a new tenant or can sell the property.  There’s also another restaurant near Chenal and Markham that will be closing in the next six months though I cannot disclose who that is right now.  There has also been some talk about the Juicy Seafood in Pleasant Ridge closing in the near future with sales being less than expected and a high rent factor. 

Wow!  I would hate to see David's leave that location as I will not go way out Cantrell when there are other alternatives closer.  

First, Dunkin on Shackleford.  Now Krispy Kreme?  Granted, I haven't been to Krispy Kreme since Dunkin opened but still...

I would put La Madeleine and Zoe's on the "closing soon" watchlist.   

I could see La Madeleine for sure, as long as Jimmy John's and Moe's stay put. Yeah if David's moves that will suck as that is right near my apartment :( so I will not want to drive further. Sad too about Krispy Kreme as I think that is the only one in the area... and nothing has gone into the old Dunkin so far. 

-R

4 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

First, Dunkin on Shackleford.  Now Krispy Kreme?  Granted, I haven't been to Krispy Kreme since Dunkin opened but still...

That's probably the reason why it's closing.  Not because you haven't gone there but that's most likely a trend that started when stuff got a bit more saturated in the market.  

4 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

I would put La Madeleine and Zoe's on the "closing soon" watchlist.   

Isn't either one of those.  Although I can see Zoe's going away soon being so close to Taziki's.  Although Taziki's may be looking elsewhere too since sales have been reduced so much from Zoe's being so close.  Either way both of those are suffering from market saturation.

3 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

Sad too about Krispy Kreme as I think that is the only one in the area... and nothing has gone into the old Dunkin so far. 

Starbucks is supposed to be going into the old Dunkin location as they've bought the property from the old Dunkin franchisee.  

Also Panera Bread's lease in Pleasant Ridge has come up for renewal and the franchisee has chosen not to renew it since the property owner won't help Panera pursue a drive-thru in their current location.  Panera will end up closing that location I assume within a year perhaps a little longer. 

Edited by LRretail

27 minutes ago, dnashobviously said:

I could see the Burger 21 place closing in that Markham/Chenal area. 

We've been there quite a bit...always decently full, but sort of a terrible location (plus there are so many burger places).

4 hours ago, LRretail said:

That's probably the reason why it's closing.  Not because you haven't gone there but that's most likely a trend that started when stuff got a bit more saturated in the market.  

Isn't either one of those.  Although I can see Zoe's going away soon being so close to Taziki's.  Although Taziki's may be looking elsewhere too since sales have been reduced so much from Zoe's being so close.  Either way both of those are suffering from market saturation.

Starbucks is supposed to be going into the old Dunkin location as they've bought the property from the old Dunkin franchisee.  

Also Panera Bread's lease in Pleasant Ridge has come up for renewal and the franchisee has chosen not to renew it since the property owner won't help Panera pursue a drive-thru in their current location.  Panera will end up closing that location I assume within a year perhaps a little longer. 

• I've never heard of a Krispy Kreme closing...I find that a bit surprising (even though I'm not a big fan...Shipleys...all.  day.  long.).  And what "saturation" would there be that has anything to do with donuts?  Shipley's is literally the only game in town.

• I'd heard (maybe you're the one who advised us LRretail) about Panera closing, and I get the issue of no drive through, but MAN that's a pretty popular Panera.  I'm surprised...surely they're looking to relocate (and not just close it).

Wow, that’s a lots of restaurants closing in the Little Rock area. I guess people are dining out less and either getting somethibg quick to eat or cooking their own food at home. I’ve never seen that much restaurant closures in awhile. I still thinking Little Rock restaurant market is slowly in a recession this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Reported in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette this afternoon that the Mini dealership at Chenal and Markham is closing.  The Parker Group has decided to terminate their Mini franchise as of today.  I would suspect they're going to fire sale the Mini inventory remaining and move the used cars to another dealership.  This leaves a rather big hole at this intersection.  My hope is that a luxury car brand populates this location or that the Parkers repurpose the site instead of walking away from it.  

4 minutes ago, LRretail said:

Reported in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette this afternoon that the Mini dealership at Chenal and Markham is closing.  The Parker Group has decided to terminate their Mini franchise as of today.  I would suspect they're going to fire sale the Mini inventory remaining and move the used cars to another dealership.  This leaves a rather big hole at this intersection.  My hope is that a luxury car brand populates this location or that the Parkers repurpose the site instead of walking away from it.  

Per the article's note that the precipitating action was BMW of North America's decision to allow Mini dealership to co-locate with local BMW dealerships to result in McClarty (BMW of Little Rock) either picking up the franchise outright, or at least providing service/warranty work.  There are a LOT of Mini's in the Central Arkansas market.

19 minutes ago, Architect said:

Per the article's note that the precipitating action was BMW of North America's decision to allow Mini dealership to co-locate with local BMW dealerships to result in McClarty (BMW of Little Rock) either picking up the franchise outright, or at least providing service/warranty work.  There are a LOT of Mini's in the Central Arkansas market.

Perhaps the reliability problems of the brand coupled with a rather overzealous investment in relation to the market had a lot to do with it.  For example, the Nashville MSA encompasses a population of almost 2 million people.  The Mini dealership in Franklin, TN near Nissan North American HQ is roughly half the size of ours in Little Rock.  Little Rock MSA including Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Perry, Lonoke, and Saline counties has just under 750,000 people.  The Mini dealership in Franklin is also surrounded by dedicated dealerships for Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, and a joint Bentley / Aston Martin / Rolls Royce store as well as a large Volkswagen dealer.  I very much hope that Mark McLarty picked up Mini but the closure / move is certainly a loss for WLR.

Perhaps the reliability problems of the brand coupled with a rather overzealous investment in relation to the market had a lot to do with it.  For example, the Nashville MSA encompasses a population of almost 2 million people.  The Mini dealership in Franklin, TN near Nissan North American HQ is roughly half the size of ours in Little Rock.  Little Rock MSA including Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Perry, Lonoke, and Saline counties has just under 750,000 people.  The Mini dealership in Franklin is also surrounded by dedicated dealerships for Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, and a joint Bentley / Aston Martin / Rolls Royce store as well as a large Volkswagen dealer.  I very much hope that Mark McLarty picked up Mini but the closure / move is certainly a loss for WLR.

The facility was already there as I recall; they just renovated what was originally a Buick/GMC dealership, so the size was just a product of existing conditions. The fact that it is/was a “standalone” brand likely had more to do with financial issues of the inability to leverage efficiencies of shared services. The fact that Parker said they closed when that decision was made at corporate a month ago makes me think a reciprocal action is pending. I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Architect said:

The facility was already there as I recall; they just renovated what was originally a Buick/GMC dealership, so the size was just a product of existing conditions. The fact that it is/was a “standalone” brand likely had more to do with financial issues of the inability to leverage efficiencies of shared services. The fact that Parker said they closed when that decision was made at corporate a month ago makes me think a reciprocal action is pending. I could be wrong.

I agree that the size of the dealership was because it was pre-existing.  From my recollection though I think the Parkers paid a hefty sum for the property and then spent another hefty sum renovating a bigger space than necessary for a relatively niche brand.  It's been a few years but I remember there was a struggle between the Parkers, Landers, and Crains trying to get Porsche to split space at the current Mini dealership with all three groups vying for the property.  Mini asked what was then the Asbury Group to open a Mini operation on Breckenridge but they were rebuffed since Asbury had no space with Volvo next to BMW.  Then Mini sought out someone new and the Parkers competed against Landers (who later teamed up with Crain) for the Mini franchise.  Landers brought in Porsche to sweeten the deal which angered that Parkers who saw themselves as the luxury brand purveyors of the area.  The Parkers tried to compete for the same Porsche rights with Landers thwarting that effort.  Porsche later called it a "business decision" not to enter the market.  So Parkers ended up with the Mini franchise solo with nothing else to complement the space.  

Here's to hoping you're right.  And to hoping that something else productive moves into the space.  You're right.  There are quite a few Mini owners in the market.  

I agree that the size of the dealership was because it was pre-existing.  From my recollection though I think the Parkers paid a hefty sum for the property and then spent another hefty sum renovating a bigger space than necessary for a relatively niche brand.  It's been a few years but I remember there was a struggle between the Parkers, Landers, and Crains trying to get Porsche to split space at the current Mini dealership with all three groups vying for the property.  Mini asked what was then the Asbury Group to open a Mini operation on Breckenridge but they were rebuffed since Asbury had no space with Volvo next to BMW.  Then Mini sought out someone new and the Parkers competed against Landers (who later teamed up with Crain) for the Mini franchise.  Landers brought in Porsche to sweeten the deal which angered that Parkers who saw themselves as the luxury brand purveyors of the area.  The Parkers tried to compete for the same Porsche rights with Landers thwarting that effort.  Porsche later called it a "business decision" not to enter the market.  So Parkers ended up with the Mini franchise solo with nothing else to complement the space.  
Here's to hoping you're right.  And to hoping that something else productive moves into the space.  You're right.  There are quite a few Mini owners in the market.  

It’s almost comical that Porsche has no dealer in Little Rock. “Business decision”? There are a LOT of smaller markets than LR with Porsche. It’s too bad they couldn’t work out a combo deal, as that would have given Porsche a better comfort level. They’ve been dancing around LR for years ever since Merc made Riverside go exclusive and forced them to shed Audi and Porsche.

LR is VERY unique with Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar/Land Rover, Alfa, Audi (sort of), Cadillac, Lexus, Acura and Infiniti ALL being standalone and with different owners (save for the Parker holdings). That’s almost unheard of in even larger markets, where you’ll often see large complexes with a single owner but varying brands essentially under one roof.

[sadly guys - we may have lost the previous “Automobile Dealers” thread - I tried to move these posts today from this “West Little Rock” thread to that thread, and was having trouble with the Moderator actions. I think I either got bad info from Site Admin or the site glitched, but either way, now that thread is gone...it may have “merged” into this West Little Rock thread, but even if so, I don’t know if there’s a way to go back and un-merge them - very frustrating...sorry guys.]

On 12/31/2018 at 5:32 PM, Architect said:

It’s almost comical that Porsche has no dealer in Little Rock. “Business decision”? There are a LOT of smaller markets than LR with Porsche. It’s too bad they couldn’t work out a combo deal, as that would have given Porsche a better comfort level. They’ve been dancing around LR for years ever since Merc made Riverside go exclusive and forced them to shed Audi and Porsche.

LR is VERY unique with Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar/Land Rover, Alfa, Audi (sort of), Cadillac, Lexus, Acura and Infiniti ALL being standalone and with different owners (save for the Parker holdings). That’s almost unheard of in even larger markets, where you’ll often see large complexes with a single owner but varying brands essentially under one roof.

Looks like you were right.  Was driving to Colonel Glenn area on some business today and saw what looked to be a large amount of new Mini vehicles parked towards the rear of McLarty Honda.  I suppose they came from Parker Mini being redistributed for sale at BMW of Little Rock owned by Mark McLarty.

Looks like you were right.  Was driving to Colonel Glenn area on some business today and saw what looked to be a large amount of new Mini vehicles parked towards the rear of McLarty Honda.  I suppose they came from Parker Mini being redistributed for sale at BMW of Little Rock owned by Mark McLarty.

Who knows. That was pure speculation on my part, but I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t want to pick up that business. That being said, I have a contact at BMW of LR and he didn’t seem to know anything about that possibility.

On 11/1/2018 at 5:43 PM, LRretail said:

I can honestly tell you that it's a lot of both.  There are far too many restaurants that serve the same food.  (la Madeleine btw isn't a Mexican place.  It serves French food.)  However that's the restaurant scene everywhere, even in larger markets.  The difference is that there are enough people to support lots of different brands in the same space.  With 200k or so in Little Rock city limits, alot of the restaurants compete with each other across types and spaces.  I don't agree with your assertion that there's room for more restaurants without further diluting existing restaurants that are already in operation.  Thai and Indian places have opened up and have done "OK" but not well enough to write home about.  Most of those folks are owner/operators who basically bought themselves a job.  

It's honestly very hard for consumers to expect more diversity in choices outside of the norm as you describe (burgers, Mexican, pizza, fish/chicken, etc) when that's all the local residents support.  Restaurant developers see that in their demographics because they do their homework before coming to market.  I respect your opinion and/or observations about what you think you see in the market but I encourage you to talk with some existing restaurant owners and see what their experience is this year versus last and 2017 versus 2016.  85% of the respondents I talk to in the market (especially in Little Rock) tell me that this year sales have been down.  I don't see how lower sales justifies opening more restaurants just for those stores to open with a six month honeymoon season only to close in less than five years.  This is of course just my field observations in the market, for what its worth. 

There are too many burgers restaurants that serve basically the same food on the menu with the exception of some serve steak burger or organic burgers. Honestly, I can cook a burger at home that’s just as good as these chain or local establishments. Also, the Little Rock market is lacking any true seafood restaurants (besides Cajun’s Wharf, Arthur’s Seafood, and Red Lobster) and is in need for more restaurants in that type of cuisine. Flying Fish, Soul Fish Cafe, and Eat My Catfish are not true seafood restaurants in my opinion. The market need restaurants  like Pappadeaux, Kona Grill (https://www.konagrill.com/),  Salata (https://www.salata.com/), or Razzoo’s Cajun Cafe (https://www.razzoos.com/) to open in the area. 

I disagree about the restaurants competing in a market of almost 200,000 in population because I’ve been to similar cities such as Des Moines, IA and Knoxville, AR whose population is similar to Little Rock but have far greater restaurant options than Little Rock does. I’m not saying that Little Rock doesn’t have some good restaurants (we got some good local restaurants if they don’t close down that even people from Dallas come to dine at) but there needs to be more restaurants unique to the area instead of the same boring restaurants like Chili’s, Applebee’s, some more Chinese restaurants, and another burger restaurants. 

In addition to the restaurant market, there needs to be more business, besides Chuck E Cheese,  caters more to families rather than just bars and breweries popping around town for adults. It was very sad to see Playtime Pizza close down because that’s basically the only concept (not counting Dave and Buster’s because that’s aimed for older children and adults) in the area of its kind that really caters to family. I wish a similar concept such as American Incredible Pizza Company or Main Event would open in the area for family of all ages to enjoy rather than just small children or adults.

Edited by ecity3138

2 hours ago, ecity3138 said:

There are too many burgers restaurants that serve basically the same food on the menu with the exception of some serve steak burger or organic burgers. Honestly, I can cook a burger at home that’s just as good as these chain or local establishments. Also, the Little Rock market is lacking any true seafood restaurants (besides Cajun’s Wharf, Arthur’s Seafood, and Red Lobster) and is in need for more restaurants in that type of cuisine. Flying Fish, Soul Fish Cafe, and Eat My Catfish are not true seafood restaurants in my opinion. The market need restaurants  like Pappadeaux, Kona Grill (https://www.konagrill.com/),  Salata (https://www.salata.com/), or Razzoo’s Cajun Cafe (https://www.razzoos.com/) to open in the area. 

I disagree about the restaurants competing in a market of almost 200,000 in population because I’ve been to similar cities such as Des Moines, IA and Knoxville, AR whose population is similar to Little Rock but have far greater restaurant options than Little Rock does. I’m not saying that Little Rock doesn’t have some good restaurants (we got some good local restaurants if they don’t close down that even people from Dallas come to dine at) but there needs to be more restaurants unique to the area instead of the same boring restaurants like Chili’s, Applebee’s, some more Chinese restaurants, and another burger restaurants. 

In addition to the restaurant market, there needs to be more business, besides Chuck E Cheese,  caters more to families rather than just bars and breweries popping around town for adults. It was very sad to see Playtime Pizza close down because that’s basically the only concept (not counting Dave and Buster’s because that’s aimed for older children and adults) in the area of its kind that really caters to family. I wish a similar concept such as American Incredible Pizza Company or Main Event would open in the area for family of all ages to enjoy rather than just small children or adults.

The thing to realize about the seafood restaurants is the cost of doing business.  Food cost alone is about 40% of revenue generally.  Unless you're in a really dense area you're generally not going to see something like Pappadeaux or Kona Grill.  In order to combat the higher food cost, a bigger restaurant is necessary to do a larger volume.  This is one of the reasons why Cajun's is as big as it is.  Unless it's fried fish or that kind of food, it's generally harder to make money doing by your definition a true seafood restaurant.  

Restaurant scene in Little Rock leans heavily towards independent groups.  The customer in Central Arkansas really supports locals so chains or out of town concepts don't generally do as well.  That's being in the restaurant industry in the city for 35 years talking.  I strongly agree with you that we don't need any more burger, Mexican, pizza, asian restaurants.  I'm pretty sure we got all that covered.  But the simple fact of the matter is that the customer supports these types of concepts, especially if they are local.  Tacos4Life, David's Burgers, Big Orange, US Pizza, Señor Tequila, on and on.  Having diversity in restaurant selection is great but if the customers don't support them then they close down.

I also agree that we need more family friendly options.  Main Event would be fun.  Playtime Pizza did not make money for most of its existence.  So again, you and some other consumers may really want something specific.  But if the rest of the general population in the area don't support things that do come through, other things that provide diversity aren't going to show face.  Zaxby's is also a really good example.  Yet another Slim Chickens, ChickFilA competitor.  They opened the Little Rock store on Kanis LAST out of the 4-5 in the MSA.  #1 - Because they couldn't find good real estate and #2 - Because they were fearful that they wouldn't be successful if Little Rock was the first or second location.  I know it's another QSR brand but it's a successful one as another example - Panda Express.  They have five locations or more in NWA.  One in Hot Springs, Conway, etc but not Little Rock.  It's not for lack of trying but they can't find the real estate and the competition comp set from the independents is too strong.  

Not saying that I'm right but it's just my observation over quite a long period of time in the restaurant industry.  I very much wish it were different.                                                                                        

The thing to realize about the seafood restaurants is the cost of doing business.  Food cost alone is about 40% of revenue generally.  Unless you're in a really dense area you're generally not going to see something like Pappadeaux or Kona Grill.  In order to combat the higher food cost, a bigger restaurant is necessary to do a larger volume.  This is one of the reasons why Cajun's is as big as it is.  Unless it's fried fish or that kind of food, it's generally harder to make money doing by your definition a true seafood restaurant.  
Restaurant scene in Little Rock leans heavily towards independent groups.  The customer in Central Arkansas really supports locals so chains or out of town concepts don't generally do as well.  That's being in the restaurant industry in the city for 35 years talking.  I strongly agree with you that we don't need any more burger, Mexican, pizza, asian restaurants.  I'm pretty sure we got all that covered.  But the simple fact of the matter is that the customer supports these types of concepts, especially if they are local.  Tacos4Life, David's Burgers, Big Orange, US Pizza, Señor Tequila, on and on.  Having diversity in restaurant selection is great but if the customers don't support them then they close down.
I also agree that we need more family friendly options.  Main Event would be fun.  Playtime Pizza did not make money for most of its existence.  So again, you and some other consumers may really want something specific.  But if the rest of the general population in the area don't support things that do come through, other things that provide diversity aren't going to show face.  Zaxby's is also a really good example.  Yet another Slim Chickens, ChickFilA competitor.  They opened the Little Rock store on Kanis LAST out of the 4-5 in the MSA.  #1 - Because they couldn't find good real estate and #2 - Because they were fearful that they wouldn't be successful if Little Rock was the first or second location.  I know it's another QSR brand but it's a successful one as another example - Panda Express.  They have five locations or more in NWA.  One in Hot Springs, Conway, etc but not Little Rock.  It's not for lack of trying but they can't find the real estate and the competition comp set from the independents is too strong.  
Not saying that I'm right but it's just my observation over quite a long period of time in the restaurant industry.  I very much wish it were different.                                                                                        

The absence of Panda Express is more than perplexing. I love P.E.!

8 hours ago, LRretail said:

Cajun’s Wharf is almost on par with Pappadeaux in terms of menu items and prices and Pappadeaux would perform well in the Little Rock area if located in the right location. To be honest, Pappadeaux is much better than Cajun’s in terms of food quality and more variety of menu items with the exception of Cajun’s bar area and their signature cocktail drink is better. Pappadeaux open most of their locations around Texas and rarely outside the Lone State border (Birmingham was the latest non-Texas location for a Pappadeaux). Even larger markets such as Orlando, New York City, Los Angeles don’t have a Pappadeaux location at this time. I would even wish Joe’s Crab Shack,that has been rumored to come to the market for years, would locate at the Gateway Town Center as originally planned.

I disagree that all chain restaurants in the Little Rock area are not doing well considering chain restaurants such as Red Lobster, Chuy’s, BJ Brewhouse, Chilis, and Longhorn Steakhouse has performed exceptionally well in the market. There are some local places who are performing poorly in the area and it’s not just  because of competition either. Many chain and local restaurants (most of the restaurant closures mentioned on the Arkansas Online Restaurant transition are local places) had closed down due to the rise of food cost, poor management, rise in rent prices, or poor location planning. 

It would be nice if a local restauranter would open something unique to the market beside bars, breweries, or burgers such as  more kid friendly eating places like a  theme restaurant in Downtown Little Rock that center around the State of Arkansas (ex: a replica of the Old Mill in North Little Rock in a natural park setting would be fun and unique in my opinion). There have been many requests from Little Rock citizens of a kid friendly theme restaurants and it is time for those demands  to be met. Purple Cow and All Aboard Restaurant on Cantrell Rd are the closest kid friendly theme restaurants in the area. I wish more of these restaurants (Magic Time Machine https://www.magictimemachine.com/  with locations in Texas would be great) would popped around the city rather than same old boring concepts.

Edited by ecity3138

Hopefully they can do something with the old Parker Mini location soon though, it looks sad being empty. That is a pretty major intersection to have a empty spot at and would be a good location for a small office building or even a small retail development :) (I really do not feel we need anymore car dealers :P )

-R