West Little Rock

On 8/2/2019 at 4:46 PM, LRretail said:

It's unlikely that Costco will ever be able to break into Arkansas.  Wal-Mart would likely be able to, as they have for so many years, stave off the effort to Costco or any similar competitor to move into home territory. 

More of a chance here in LR where we have Target, Whole Foods, Kroger Market place, and (all but announced) Trader Joe’s. That being said, I’ll believe it when it opens.

NWA it would never happen. 

11 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

Zoe's Kitchen WLR still looks to be open, at least for now.

-R

You're correct.  I drove by today and they were surprisingly busy.  Upon further research I believe the arrangement is that the building and property where Zoe's is located recently sold in the last few months.  As part of the sale, Zoe's had to be open to pay rent for a fixed amount of time.  I think they were closed for a time but opened back up as a condition of the sales contract.  I don't know this to be the case 100% but I'm 85% certain this to be the case.  We will see if they remain open.  Overall I think it a poor decision to go head to head with Taziki's less than a stone's throw away.  

• 1 month later...

Thinking about things eagerly awaited in Little Rock, I recall these, among others; Coors Beer, Krispy Creme Donuts, the. City Manager form of government, MetroCenter Mall, The Boyle Building reuse, choosing a nickname for the city. Hopefully Trader Joe's will be a success. In the meantime our downtown may win the title, for the greatest number of surface parking lots.

7 hours ago, LRU1967 said:

Thinking about things eagerly awaited in Little Rock, I recall these, among others; Coors Beer, Krispy Creme Donuts, the. City Manager form of government, MetroCenter Mall, The Boyle Building reuse, choosing a nickname for the city. Hopefully Trader Joe's will be a success. In the meantime our downtown may win the title, for the greatest number of surface parking lots.

Coors Beer?  Was that not always available here?

1 hour ago, vbfl85 said:

Coors Beer?  Was that not always available here?

Coors came into Little Rock in the mid-1980s. The original owners ended up selling their distributorship and the second owner sold to what was then the Miller distributorship, Twin City Beverage. Three owners in the space of around 5 months. Little Rock beer drinkers didn't like it as much as they did when it was a big deal for someone to bring a case. back from Oklahoma.

8 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

Hmmm so this will be a rather small store for sure. 

-R

This is from a Rock City Eats article about Trader Joes’s from  earlier this year.

The building is going listed at 15,411 s.f. of total space. In that, they are planning for 10,466 s.f. of total retail area. This means that the total square footage will be on the high end for Trader Joe’s. Most sources quote the average store between 8,000-15,000 s.f. with the typical model being 10,000.

Specs could have changed since then but this may be their typical size store.

Edited by theman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It was foolish to go up against Taziki's at a location so close.  Taziki's is a brand that already has full market penetration and is established with many fans.  A lot of the Zoe's Kitchen menu doesn't appeal to me and I would say that is true for many of us in town.  

Look for a new concept to take hold at Zoe's closed location.  Also new sushi operation (do we need another?) taking shape in the strip center next door close to Coldstone.  In the center next to la Madeleine a second location for Lulu's seafood kitchen opening next to Jimmy Johns.

It was foolish to go up against Taziki's at a location so close.  Taziki's is a brand that already has full market penetration and is established with many fans.  A lot of the Zoe's Kitchen menu doesn't appeal to me and I would say that is true for many of us in town.  
Look for a new concept to take hold at Zoe's closed location.  Also new sushi operation (do we need another?) taking shape in the strip center next door close to Coldstone.  In the center next to la Madeleine a second location for Lulu's seafood kitchen opening next to Jimmy Johns.

Agreed. Zoe’s always LOOKED like a cool concept, but honestly the food wasn’t that appealing. Taziki’s is top-notch. It’s strange how things work in some markets, and not others. There are still a few Zoe’s in NWA and a lot in Tulsa, but admittedly those markets don’t have Taziki’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Architect said:

Agreed. Zoe’s always LOOKED like a cool concept, but honestly the food wasn’t that appealing. Taziki’s is top-notch. It’s strange how things work in some markets, and not others. There are still a few Zoe’s in NWA and a lot in Tulsa, but admittedly those markets don’t have Taziki’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are actually two Taziki's in Tulsa and at least two in NWA. Not an overwhelming presence but they are in the markets.