West Little Rock

Does anyone know what is being built on Rahling road between Cantrell and Chenal?  I know they are widening the road to 4 lanes so that the whole stretch is the same.

Chenal Development is clearing that in anticipation of it being utilized, but nothing is committed at this time. I think it's zoned for multi-family and office, so pretty typical stuff. I doubt it will stay vacant for long.

Chenal Development is clearing that in anticipation of it being utilized, but nothing is committed at this time. I think it's zoned for multi-family and office, so pretty typical stuff. I doubt it will stay vacant for long.

Yeah I don't imagine it taking long to be in use.  My parents live just off Rahling and hate all the work going on, they are trying to sell their house within the next year before it gets worse.

That can't be right.  City code prohibits clear-cutting until a planned unit has been submitted and construction is to begin.  This is a "relatively" new code, adopted in response to the very valid complaints from residents about developers who just clear-cut their own lots THEN put a for sale sign on them.

That can't be right.  City code prohibits clear-cutting until a planned unit has been submitted and construction is to begin.  This is a "relatively" new code, adopted in response to the very valid complaints from residents about developers who just clear-cut their own lots THEN put a for sale sign on them.

This was from the Democrat-Gazette's April 18th edition:

Deltic Timber Corp. will spend $8 million over the next year to expand Rahling Road in west Little Rock, Ray Dillon, chief executive officer of the El Dorado firm, said Friday.

Rahling Road will be widened by two lanes from the end of the divided street to Hinson Road to handle an increase in traffic between Chenal Parkway and Arkansas 10.

Deltic already has begun work on the project with the removal of acres of trees on a hill near the Rahling Road intersection with Pebble Beach Drive. Deltic will use dirt from the hillside as fill for the street expansion, Dillon said.

By using the on-site dirt, there won't be a need for any dirt to be hauled to or away from the site, said Tim Daters, the principal engineer with White-Daters & Associates of Little Rock, which is working with Deltic.

The $8 million investment will bring to $17 million what Deltic and other property owners have spent on Rahling Road. Since 1989, Deltic has invested more than $75 million in public infrastructure in Chenal Valley, the firm said.

"[The widening] goes back to the commitment we made to the city of Little Rock [20 years ago] and the fulfillment of that commitment," Dillon said.

Deltic expects more projects, such as single-family, multifamily and retail-office projects, will be considered by developers after work on Rahling Road is finished in about a year, Dillon said at a groundbreaking.

Deltic has received zoning for such projects, but has had no active discussions with developers, Dillon said. The reason is the company wants to complete construction on Rahling Road, he said.

"It's much easier for the developer to understand once they see where the entrances are," Dillon said. "Deltic develops the land but then we market the land to the vertical developers -- residential homebuilders and commercial real estate developers who build [the projects]."

The new residential construction will be near the tree line above the dirt work, Daters said. There will be one multifamily project near the Village at Rahling Road apartments, Dillon said.

The office-retail space will depend on the need, Dillon said.

"There could be a series of office sites or there could be a couple of large office sites," Dillon said.

There is no timetable or cost estimate for any of the projects, Dillon said.

"It depends on how the economy improves and then as the need arises," Dillon said.

Since development activities in west Little Rock began in Chenal Valley in 1986, 2,846 lots have been developed in 35 neighborhoods with about 2,568 homes constructed or under construction, Deltic said in its Form 10-K annual federal filing. When fully developed, Chenal Valley could have about 4,600 single-family residences, the filing said.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what fast food place is being built just off Target parking lot next to Chico's? It was just parking area but within the last few weeks they pulled the lot up and already have most of the frame and roofing up for something (clearly fast food based on design and drive through). Unless its new to market i cant guess what it could be, all the other major fast food stops are in the area.

-R

Edited by SangreRaVen

Anyone know what fast food place is being built just off Target parking lot next to Chico's? It was just parking area but within the last few weeks they pulled the lot up and already have most of the frame and roofing up for something (clearly fast food based on design and drive through). Unless its new to market i cant guess what it could be, all the other major fast food stops are in the area.

-R

Zoe's Kitchen. It's fast, casual Mediterranean with salads, wraps, pitas, and kabobs. There are quite a few in the DFW metro which is where I have mostly seen them.

Zoe's Kitchen. It's fast, casual Mediterranean with salads, wraps, pitas, and kabobs. There are quite a few in the DFW metro which is where I have mostly seen them.

So right next to Taziki's?  I'd be surprised if it's better than that...Taziki's is pretty solid.

• 4 weeks later...

From my understanding, it's going in that building near Luby's and on that same side where I think there was a car dealership at one time.  

The old (original) Infiniti dealer building, before it moved to the north side of Markham (right across the street, which has been converted into a strip retail center that includes Jimmy John's), and then to Colonel Glenn?

The old (original) Infiniti dealer building, before it moved to the north side of Markham (right across the street, which has been converted into a strip retail center that includes Jimmy John's), and then to Colonel Glenn?

I believe they are either going in the building already there or in the parking lot. I hear there is talk of a Torchy's Tacos going in this location as well. 

• 4 months later...

Parker Lexus is asking for permission to build new buildings just north of their current location. It is to be built in phases and will eventually be three separate buildings, each with a showroom and service area. It sounds like it could almost be three separate brands. Not sure if it will just split up the current Lexus line into specific areas (one for the utes, one for the sedans, etc.) or if it would allow a new name (Porsche?) to enter the market. Anyone have any scoop?

http://www.littlerock.org/CityDepartments/PlanningAndDevelopment/MeetingAgendas/Agendas/PDFs/pc_item13.pdf

Here's the sketch:

http://www.littlerock.org/CityDepartments/PlanningAndDevelopment/MeetingAgendas/Agendas/PDFs/Z-6526-C%20SKETCH.pdf

2 hours ago, adman0468 said:

Parker Lexus is asking for permission to build new buildings just north of their current location. It is to be built in phases and will eventually be three separate buildings, each with a showroom and service area. It sounds like it could almost be three separate brands. Not sure if it will just split up the current Lexus line into specific areas (one for the utes, one for the sedans, etc.) or if it would allow a new name (Porsche?) to enter the market. Anyone have any scoop?

http://www.littlerock.org/CityDepartments/PlanningAndDevelopment/MeetingAgendas/Agendas/PDFs/pc_item13.pdf

Here's the sketch:

http://www.littlerock.org/CityDepartments/PlanningAndDevelopment/MeetingAgendas/Agendas/PDFs/Z-6526-C%20SKETCH.pdf

I know the Mini dealership will likely soon be for sale.  It's losing massive amounts of money every month from what I hear.  There's been discussion of Audi joining with Porsche to move into the building where Mini is now and relocating Mini to where Audi is now in Breckenridge.  I know they run out of room at the Lexus dealership quite frequently.  So I would assume this plan is to expand Lexus.  I don't believe that Parker has the Porsche rights.  Parker, Crain, and Landers were all competing to acquire the rights two years ago with Crain and Parker attempting to partner together for Audi/Porsche/Mini at the current Mini dealership site.  But that didn't work and Parker gave everyone the middle finger and went on by himself with Mini.  

3 hours ago, LRretail said:

I know the Mini dealership will likely soon be for sale.  It's losing massive amounts of money every month from what I hear.  There's been discussion of Audi joining with Porsche to move into the building where Mini is now and relocating Mini to where Audi is now in Breckenridge.  I know they run out of room at the Lexus dealership quite frequently.  So I would assume this plan is to expand Lexus.  I don't believe that Parker has the Porsche rights.  Parker, Crain, and Landers were all competing to acquire the rights two years ago with Crain and Parker attempting to partner together for Audi/Porsche/Mini at the current Mini dealership site.  But that didn't work and Parker gave everyone the middle finger and went on by himself with Mini.  

Interesting...Mini isn't doing very well overall as a brand, and I was surprised by the investment of that scale on a niche product that neither sells in great numbers or at great prices.  I couldn't believe that when that dealership was announced that it wasn't a larger location for Audi and/or a combined Audi/Porsche dealer.  In fact, their pre-marketing announcements led one to believe it was something more upscale.

On March 11, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Smith said:

BMW will be coming to the car mecca of Colonel Glenn. Looks to be at the bottom of the hill below the Ford dealer. This is on top of Riverside Acura/Suburu being very close to finishing their locations behind the Valero station.

By the way, having seen the renderings and been by the construction site (nearing completion), wow...what a disappointment.  The building has no scale and no style - in fact, it doesn't look very different from the CURRENT location (which is a 30 year old Pontiac dealer).  The new NWA BMW dealer looks MUCH nicer.  I find it hard to believe that what they built adheres to BMW's corporate brand/prototypes.  Such a missed opportunity.

2 hours ago, Architect said:

Interesting...Mini isn't doing very well overall as a brand, and I was surprised by the investment of that scale on a niche product that neither sells in great numbers or at great prices.  I couldn't believe that when that dealership was announced that it wasn't a larger location for Audi and/or a combined Audi/Porsche dealer.  In fact, their pre-marketing announcements led one to believe it was something more upscale.

By the way, having seen the renderings and been by the construction site (nearing completion), wow...what a disappointment.  The building has no scale and no style - in fact, it doesn't look very different from the CURRENT location (which is a 30 year old Pontiac dealer).  The new NWA BMW dealer looks MUCH nicer.  I find it hard to believe that what they built adheres to BMW's corporate brand/prototypes.  Such a missed opportunity.

I agree about the BMW dealership. Very basic design.

On January 5, 2016 at 0:45 PM, LRretail said:

Looking at these plans again, those buildings are pretty big, the back two are about the same size as the current Lexus dealer. My guess is that these will be the new home for other Parker lines - maybe Porsche and either Mini or Audi. Since they want to do them in phases, I think it may be as they either acquire new brands (Porsche) or move existing ones (Audi, Mini).

1 hour ago, adman0468 said:

Looking at these plans again, those buildings are pretty big, the back two are about the same size as the current Lexus dealer. My guess is that these will be the new home for other Parker lines - maybe Porsche and either Mini or Audi. Since they want to do them in phases, I think it may be as they either acquire new brands (Porsche) or move existing ones (Audi, Mini).

Agreed.  I didn't look at the link previously...if they're seriously proposing this, they might be "moving" Lexus from across the street, relocating Audi and adding Porsche.  It seems doubtful they'd move the Mini dealership...it is not a premium marque.

With its recent split from Fiat Chrysler, Ferrari could be a third marque that would work well alongside Lexus and Porsche, and the rights for a dealership may be up for grabs.  But, I can't imagine situating Ferrari so far back that it's next door to the FBI campus. It's also too exclusive of a brand for Little Rock, unless Ferrari radically changes its marketing position.

Edited by ArkansasTraveler

54 minutes ago, ArkansasTraveler said:

With its recent split from Fiat Chrysler, Ferrari could be a third marque that would work well alongside Lexus and Porsche, and the rights for a dealership may be up for grabs.  But, I can't imagine situating Ferrari so far back that it's next door to the FBI campus. It's also too exclusive of a brand for Little Rock, unless Ferrari radically changes its marketing position.

As you noted, there's NO way Arkansas could support a Ferrari dealer.  The closest is Dallas or Atlanta.

Porsche however...should already be here (they're in every market in the region, many of which are SMALLER than Little Rock).

The paper today stated that a Murphy USA is under construction at Markham and Chenal.  

"The new large-format Murphy USA fuel facility and convenience store is expected to be like two stores in Little Rock, one of them on Arkansas 10 at Taylor Loop Road and another being built at Markham Street and Chenal Parkway. Those stores are roughly 3,400-3,500 square feet."

Anybody know where this is going? Replacing?  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Never mind!  I see where a plumbing permit was issued for 12600 Chenal Parkway which is the old address for the Sears Auto building.  

Edited by Arkanzin

Bank of the Ozarks has purchased land for a new headquarters at the Ranch on Hwy 10. The new building will be the first phase and plans call for it to be 180,000 sq ft . The bank will retain their current headquarters across form the Promenade At Chenal. Just down the street the Little Rock School District is in the process of turning the former Leisure Arts office and warehouse into a new middle school.