Moving to Raleigh

codypet

Hi everyone I'm a member of the Orlando forums and the recent death of one of our large projects in Orlando is bringing me to the Raleigh area. I will begin working next week but will probably officially move there later in the month. Any advice on neighborhoods? I'm 26 single so an apt downtown wouldn't be bad as long as dt Raleigh has some nightlife....or maybe somewhere close to everything. I don't mind walking. My office will be near Wake Forest and Six forks rd.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will probably be moved by a moderator to the "Triangle Relocation" thread, but in the meantime I'm happy to try to give you some ideas.

There are good apartment and other rentals (condos, townhomes, houses) options in and around downtown. The big thing is what your price range is versus what you want out of a place.

New apartment buildings such as Tucker and Hue are very nice and full of amenities, but they will cost a bunch (like a grand a month for a one-bedroom).

Older apartment buildings like Boylan Apartments, Cameron Court, The Raleigh Apartments, Capital Apartments, etc will be much more affordable, but they will have less to offer---no washer/dryer, no dishwasher, etc.

There are some newer price-restricted apartments too, like Gateway Park, Carlton Place, Capitol Park, Chavis and others...but they have few vacancies and often income restrictions too.

A good link for residential options (apts & condos) is here: http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/at-home/residential-real-estate

And that's the main thing about apartments. Condos, Townhouse, & Houses for rent are usually "By Owner". You'd find them either by driving around and seeing a "For Rent" sign or listed on craigslist.

Be careful with craigslist though...over half of the listings that say "Near Downtown!" are not...they lie to try to get people to look at their listings. So take those with a critical eye.

Hi everyone I'm a member of the Orlando forums and the recent death of one of our large projects in Orlando is bringing me to the Raleigh area. I will begin working next week but will probably officially move there later in the month. Any advice on neighborhoods? I'm 26 single so an apt downtown wouldn't be bad as long as dt Raleigh has some nightlife....or maybe somewhere close to everything. I don't mind walking. My office will be near Wake Forest and Six forks rd.

You might have more luck getting responses over at City-Data:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/

When you say your work will be near Wake Forest and Six Forks - do you mean somewhere near the roads in North Raleigh, or do you mean near the intersection of the two roads inside the Beltline?

If it's near the intersection, I'll guess it's probably in the Highwoods area. If so, and if proximity to work is your main goal, there's a new mixed use apartment complex called Manor Six Forks near the corner of Six Forks and Atlantic. That would be a very short walk to Highwoods. It's also right next to the best greenway in the city. It's about a half mile from the strip malls at WF&SF with things like Trader Joe's, Kroger, and Costco, and there actually is a bit of a nightlife scene near there (Longbranch, Carolina Ale House, whatever the Ritz is called these days, a few others) but it's certainly far from the best or classiest that Raleigh has to offer.

It's certainly not a "walkable" or "urban" neighborhood, just a close-in suburban area that happens to have a lot of stuff pretty close by.

There's plenty of apartments downtown as well - you'll find much more in the way of nightlife there.

When you say your work will be near Wake Forest and Six Forks - do you mean somewhere near the roads in North Raleigh, or do you mean near the intersection of the two roads inside the Beltline?

Yea near the intersection inside the Beltline. I've been able to gather from google maps that the area by there is pretty much suburban out that way. I'll be over there for 3 weeks before they "officially" move me and all my stuff so I have time to scope the place out. I just figured I'd ask. I got my own W/D and an older place doesn't bother me at all. I'm paying $675 now a month in Orlando renting a two bed duplex. My concern primary concern is not accidentally renting a place in a rough neighborhood. I know quite a few people who moved here and did just that. Thanks!

Like the others said, you wont find anything with washer and dryer hook ups downtown that is under 1000 a month with the exception of subsidized stuff or very small houses that start to push into the sketchier areas. My condo building, Caraleigh Mills, has several owner rented units that rotate open from time to time. It was converted from a warehouse to condos in 2003. It is gated in a blue collar neighborhood and is a half mile from the edge of downtown proper. Sometimes the one bedrooms get down to 950 or so.

http://www.caraleighmills.org/for-salerent.html#/units-for-rent/

This has given the best search using 5 points as the center of the search

5 points

This would be a great urban-like neighborhood that is between where you work and downtown. I used to live in the area and can vouch for it being very safe, but also cool and interesting with an art house movie theater, coffee shop and several restaurants, and within a bike ride to bars downtown. There were some specific apartments a block off Whitaker Mill Rd I was thinking of but cannot remember their name.

Also there are a ton of small apartment buildings along Clark Street west of Oberlin Road and Cameron Village. None advertise...they don't have to with the large student population. Most of these have at least W/D connections retrofitted into kitchen if not a modern WD closet. They ain't luxury but most are livable in the 500-800 a month range. Also a great part of town. Mix of rich folk to the north and student influence from Hillsborough Street. 24 hour Harris Teeter in Cameron Village. Hillsborough Street has 5 coffee shops. (Royal Bean, Cup of Joe, Reverie, Global Village and Coffee Haven)

You might be able to find a place with W/D hookups in a small building, duplex, etc., but you will have to search pretty hard and also get kind of lucky. I live in the Glenwood South area in a quadruplex, and each apartment has its own hookups. It's a decent size one bedroom in a great location with off-street parking, and I pay $725. I definitely got lucky after looking at a lot of crappy places.

You will likely have to drive around looking for signs, because the good places that are part of an old house, duplex or small building don't have to advertise very much. Also, you can try searching craigslist for the Mordecai neighborhood which is between downtown and your work, and Bishops Park/Parkridge Lane which is near Glenwood South and Cameron Village and a fairly easy drive to your work. You might also try searching Historic Oakwood as there are often apartments availabe in large Victorian houses.

I've been in town for about a week, and I'm finally getting my bearings to the point where I'm not getting as lost. Went downtown Tuesday and everything was deserted. There a lot of new buildings though. Looking for things to do tomorrow night....my coworker said the check out the Glenwood Ave area. Good bar scene there?

Glenwood is a concentration but in my opinion attracts more out of town people (meaning anything from north raleigh to fort bragg) who want see and be seen. There are more dance clubs and girls in tight dresses but also more fights and people puking in the street. The Fayetteville/Hargett side of town is more people who live downtown. Only like 2 or three dance clubs, and in general more centered around laid back drinking. Its mixed in both places though. The warehouse district is south of glenwood but west of fayetteville and has a half dozen widely scattered places that all do well too.

My personal itinerary for a cool but chill night might be:

Food at Rockford(glenwood area), followed by drink a drink at Raleigh Times and a last round at Landmark (both on Hargett)

A more expensive version of that might be:

Dinner At Pooles Diner (far southern edge of warehouse area), with a drink at Foundation (Fayetteville St basement) ending at 5 Star (restaurant turned club at night on warehouse end of Hargett)

For a 40 year old business type I might suggest:

Dinner at 42 street Oyster Bar followed by beer at Hibernian and a nightcap at Napper Tandys (last two are Irish and all are on or near Glenwood)

For someone just exiting the college frat scene I might say:

DInner at Tobacco Road, followed by beer at Lucky 13 and end the night at Havana (all on or near Glenwood)

A more expensive version of that might be:

Dinner at Sullivans steakhouse, followed by a whole night at Solas (big cover charge...no point in leaving after you pay it)

Really there is something for everyone...we just lack a single obvious chunk of real estate that says bar/club spot. Even Glenwood has gaps in activity and entrances to places are set back in alleys and such.

If you like an Indie scene you want to end the night at Neptunes. If you like places with lots of TVs we have Tobacco Road, Brewmasters, and Woodys. We have Sushi in several places. We have several gay bars. We got places for suits, and places for wife beaters. Just call it out....

I've been in town for about a week, and I'm finally getting my bearings to the point where I'm not getting as lost. Went downtown Tuesday and everything was deserted. There a lot of new buildings though. Looking for things to do tomorrow night....my coworker said the check out the Glenwood Ave area. Good bar scene there?

If you're looking for a place to go bar hopping and walk around, Glenwood Ave is the place to go. It is a thriving area and one that will continue to grow as the economy picks up again.

Went down Glenwood, hit up Lucky 13, then walked around, then took the R line to Fayetteville St. Hit up a bar across from the courthouse ( the name escapes me right now). Then went to Raleigh Times. The place seemed kind of dead when I went out there, but I've been told things get better on Sat nights. But I got to say that R line is impressive. That's a huge range for a free downtown line.

The place seemed kind of dead when I went out there, but I've been told things get better on Sat nights.

Yeah, Friday & Saturday nights are the best. The First Friday in fact can get crowded in some areas.

And of course, the weather plays a part.

I think he was in Times on Friday. I am surprised it was anywhere close to dead. You must have been there either at 5 pm or 2 am because the hours in between are normally slammed. The nightlife here really is pretty good...and like a said, there is a scene for most everyone

Yeah, I was there Friday. I went back Saturday, this time I went to Raleigh Times first. Had a great time. Kudos to you guys, as someone from out of town who spent all day Saturday downtown I have to say the energy is much better in Raleigh than it is in Orlando for sure. The St. Patty's day celebration probably didn't hurt. I'm keeping an eye out for places, I definitely have a better idea on what areas of town to look for places now. Thank you all for your help!

Archived