New Macy's @ MacArthur Center

lil-bear

I know this has discussed before, but I think that it's a logical discussion to continue.

We currently have numerous "Macy's" in our region. (Military Circle, Lynnhaven, Greenbriar, Chesapeake Square, Peninsula Town Center, Patrick Henry)

I think Macy's should close the Military Circle location along with a few others in our region. We all know that they got their foot in Hampton Roads when Federated Department Stores (parent of Macy's) bought out May Department Stores (former parent of Hecht's).

By closing a few stores and building a 4 or 5 floor regional "flagship" store @ MacArthur's 3rd anchor spot, Macy's would be able to provide their shoppers with a better Macy's shopping experience than the rebranded Hecht's stores we now have. It would be nice to shop @ Macy's in DT Norfolk and get a taste of shopping @ the real Macy's in New York!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if I would get all that excited about having another Macy's, they have sort of become the Walmart of departments stores. We had a local department store company throughout Portland that was unique to us until the Federal Department Stores bought them out, now they look and feel the same as every Macy's across the country, there is really nothing unique about that department store anymore.

But with that said, I am surprised they haven't opened one up in downtown Norfolk yet, it kind of makes me wonder what the holdout is on the open lot that MacArthur Mall has...though I would love to see it become a mix use tower of some sort, with the first couple floors devoted to retail and an anchor store with the tower portion housing office space or living space or hotel or a combination of some or all three things.

I don't know if I would get all that excited about having another Macy's, they have sort of become the Walmart of departments stores. We had a local department store company throughout Portland that was unique to us until the Federal Department Stores bought them out, now they look and feel the same as every Macy's across the country, there is really nothing unique about that department store anymore.

But with that said, I am surprised they haven't opened one up in downtown Norfolk yet, it kind of makes me wonder what the holdout is on the open lot that MacArthur Mall has...though I would love to see it become a mix use tower of some sort, with the first couple floors devoted to retail and an anchor store with the tower portion housing office space or living space or hotel or a combination of some or all three things.

I know there are too many "Macy's" across the country. Locally if they would close half of the current stores and open a new larger regional flagship store with more to offer, then I think it would make the flagship store more of a draw. Most who shop at the local Macy's know that they do not offer the real Macy's shopping experience. A regional flagship store can attempt to give this area a taste of the real Macy's but on a smaller scale!

Before I go down in flames, hear me out. Urban Walmarts are being introduced in LA, Chicago, and maybe NYC... Why not Norfolk? We just lost the downtown Marketplace. A multilevel and architecturally appropriate Walmart could return that service to downtown residents, as well as provide other necessities. I know it's not ideal, and who knows if they'd even consider it feasible. But hey, it's an idea for a currently empty patch, that looks to stay empty for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't be opposed to it just because it's Walmart, but I know some would.

Before I go down in flames, hear me out. Urban Walmarts are being introduced in LA, Chicago, and maybe NYC... Why not Norfolk? We just lost the downtown Marketplace. A multilevel and architecturally appropriate Walmart could return that service to downtown residents, as well as provide other necessities. I know it's not ideal, and who knows if they'd even consider it feasible. But hey, it's an idea for a currently empty patch, that looks to stay empty for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't be opposed to it just because it's Walmart, but I know some would.

NO BAD BAD BAD.... Walmart's strategy is to come in and wipe out competing stores. So you get a Walmart, and everything is wiped out. Military circle is close enough.

Walmart is building urban Walmarts in LA, Chicago, and NYC because that is the only way they are going to get into those markets, in an area like Hampton Roads, they are going to stick to their original gameplan with suburban Walmarts designed to push out the competition. Even Target, which is a company I don't mind, isn't even really building any urban stores outside of the big three cities in the US, so I don't even see anything like that happening.

The most that would happen would be another department store or something different like a Whole Foods, but I imagine whatever gets built on that lot will be built with the mall being the first priority and focus, rather than what is good for the city and downtown.

I think that spot would be better off placing a Target there instead.

Last week, Target announced it was opening a store at Pembroke Mall in Virginia Beach. Here is an analysis from local retail and real estate researcher Blount Hunter, taken from the VP article:

Hunter said he is less convinced that a Target will boost business for the stores inside the mall. Target shoppers go to the retailer knowing what they want to buy, unlike mall customers who go from store to store and comparison shop, he said. "This is a great move for Target," Hunter said. "I'm not sure it's going to give the mall that new lease on life."

I think the same thing could be said for either a Target or a Wal-Mart at MacArthur.

Also, MacArthur was originally conceived as an upscale shopping mall. That is how they got Nordstrom's. I suspect Nordstrom has a say in any potential tenant, and especially on an anchor tenant. I do not see Nordstrom allowing themselves to be in the same mall as a discount department store.

It is going to be interesting to see how the Target at the Pembroke Mall is going to be handled because there might be more going on with that deal that just adding a Target. I wouldn't be shocked to later find out they are tearing down the mall to reconstruct it, leaving Target to be a stand alone building in a new urban shopping district...but that probably won't happen until the economy gets better.

Last week, Target announced it was opening a store at Pembroke Mall in Virginia Beach. Here is an analysis from local retail and real estate researcher Blount Hunter, taken from the VP article:

Also, MacArthur was originally conceived as an upscale shopping mall. That is how they got Nordstrom's. I suspect Nordstrom has a say in any potential tenant, and especially on an anchor tenant. I do not see Nordstrom allowing themselves to be in the same mall as a discount department store.

Yeah, I do not see that happening either, however, across the street from there and right across from wellsfargo is a city building that would be perfect for an urban target. It does not have to be huge and it would give significant presence to that section of the street. I mean, it would really give people a reason to shop within DT.

A Target, even Macy's and let alone urban walmarts don't fit in with MacArthur's role, image and tenant mix. Unfortunately in addition to distance, Target is a huge reason why I haven't gone to Chesapeake Square Mall for years! It waters down the experience and image of the mall. I do shop at Target and prefer them over Walmart but it won't make me go to the mall. Bloomingdales I think is the best fit should a third anchor be persued IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Urbanlife, you've lived in portland, right? Ever been to the Washington Square mall a little further south in Tigard? I think that (even though it is suburban) it is every bit as upscale as macarthur. It has a nordstrom. The other anchors are macys, penneys, and sears if I remember right. I also think that their nordstrom expanded once too. I don't see why they couldn't both work. They cater to opposite end of the same demographic.

Urbanlife, you've lived in portland, right? Ever been to the Washington Square mall a little further south in Tigard? I think that (even though it is suburban) it is every bit as upscale as macarthur. It has a nordstrom. The other anchors are macys, penneys, and sears if I remember right. I also think that their nordstrom expanded once too. I don't see why they couldn't both work. They cater to opposite end of the same demographic.

I have been to Washington Square, though I haven't been there in a while because that mall kind of scares me, they did this semi egyptian theme in the new section of the mall and it feels like a crowded tomb of stores I never shop in....that and I have never been much of a mall person. But yes, that mall does cater to a large demographic of people, it is also a very massive building that can handle having so many different types of stores.

But in all honesty there isn't a big deal with having Nordstroms and Macys and Sears and such in the same building. Of course you have to also take into account that Nordstroms is a Seattle based company so they enjoy having a strong presence in the Northwest.

Regardless, I think Macys would be better if it had a location downtown but NOT connected to the mall. I think they should put it on market st between monticello and granby where the targeted publication place is. It would attract more people downtown and they would visit the mall but it would also take people out of the mall and introduce then to downtown. There are lots of people at the mall from virginia beach, chesapeake, north carolina, and even the eastern shore. They come there because it is nice and accessible to then but most would never go into downtown without reason. Some have never even seen the light rail under construction. They come straight off the interstate and exit right back onto the interstate. We have to get them out of the mall and into downtown.

• 7 months later...

I like it. An urban WalMart is a good compliment to the area, but I would rather see one in Town Center, Virginia Beach, than I would in downtown Norfolk. That would actually be an improvement for Virginia Beach.

• 2 years later...

I think that the writing is on the wall for Military Circle Mall.

Macy's should close that awful store and open up a regional flagship store at MacArthur Center!

Maybe this will get some traction since MacArthur has ben sold!

• 6 months later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/01/macys-restructure-merchandising-marketing

I'll say it again: Macy's should close Military Circle and perhaps one or two other location here in HR and open a better store at MacArthur.

Agreed. Not sure the Peninsula needs two Macy's and I think the one in Peninsula Town Center would be a good candidate. It's in the last remnant of the Coliseum Mall (ie: a really old building) and the Macy's in Patrick Henry Mall suits that neck of the woods just fine. That would give PTC the ability to do something else with that building (ie: tear it down and build another anchor and maybe some apartments (as is on their master plan anyway from what I understand). Macy's may be able to do without a Chesapeake Square location too.

Losing the Macy's at PTC and Military Circle (and maybe Chesapeake Square) in exchange for gaining a flagship location at MacArthur would be huge for that region and IMO, benefit Macy's too. Then again, what do I know?

Maybe Macy's parent company would take a risk and put a Bloomingdales on the site.

Talk about a HUGE risk. MacArthur already has a poorly performing Nordstrom, and that's no secret. I don't think Bloomingdales would build a store at MacArthur without significant incentive from the city.

Talk about a HUGE risk. MacArthur already has a poorly performing Nordstrom, and that's no secret. I don't think Bloomingdales would build a store at MacArthur without significant incentive from the city.

Yup. The only way a Bloomingdale's goes to MacArthur is if Nordstom closes shop there. Then Bloomingdale's may consider being the 2nd anchor. 

With Pembroke Mall getting a Nordstrom Rack soon, I have to wonder if Nordstrom's days in Norfolk are numbered.

Archived