Parkside Marketplace: Shutting down?

I was just in Parkside Marketplace grocery today, and noticed that shelves are starting to look mighty bare, as in whatever they are selling isn't being replaced.

They just reopened with a major interior makeover. It would be a shame if it's already game over for them seeing how there are no grocery options for the area without having to drive.

Has anyone heard anything about them closing up?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I was just in Parkside Marketplace grocery today, and noticed that shelves are starting to look mighty bare, as in whatever they are selling isn't being replaced.

They just reopened with a major interior makeover. It would be a shame if it's already game over for them seeing how there are no grocery options for the area without having to drive.

Has anyone heard anything about them closing up?

Is that the one on W. Fulton by the Zoo?

Is that the one on W. Fulton by the Zoo?

Indeed.

I stopped by last week (for the Kielbasa Dog lunch special, of course) and they are NOT shutting down. I actually overheard a customer comment "What's with all the empty shelves?" and a worker replied "We order it as we need it." They've also re-arranged some things in the store. To me it reminds me more of a quick-mart than an actual grocery store. I've never been in there when there are many customers but it seems to be the store of choice for some folks in the neighborhood. Hopefully with the upgrade on the liquor store next door that end of Fulton will continue to draw a little more investment. There's several viable businesses between the zoo & downtown (Nawara Bros, Ball Park Floral, Putt-Putts, McDonalds, Fulton Pharmacy, Franks, Subway, DQ, Joey's, etc.) that seem to be holding on OK while several others (the former Dillenbecks Coffee Shop, Polish Falcons, the now-closed KFC & more) could use enhancements to upgrade the neighborhood. I'm just amazed that the corridor has held on this long with the influx of GVSU students and current socio-economic mix of the neighborhood.

• 6 months later...

Archived