NLR CityorTown

Now i am from From NorthLittleRock. I love the city but. The City is starting to look more and more like a old town. I am not saying our mayor is not doing a good job he is. But thats my opion i think my biggest problem is all the town houses and houses in downtown. They take up to much space for good potential buisness and how the downtown looks. What do you think

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You made an effort, I appreciate that.

What exactly do you mean by "looking like and old town" though? I gather you'd like increased commercial density downtown from your comment, but what do you feel they should be working on? North Little Rock doesn't have many large or mid rise buildings, but it's really not that big population wise either. Some cities in Arkansas its size or smaller do have more developed downtowns from a height/density perspective (Fayetteville, Texarkana, and El Dorado to name a few), but it seems to me like the density role was filled by downtown Little Rock and North Little Rock/Argenta was always meant to be a bit more residential/small. I'm not familiar enough with the history to know for sure, but it is the feel you get from it anyway. I don't know why NLR didn't develop more density and attract some larger buildings back when downtown Little Rock was growing "up" (it probably would have resulted in a better connected/more cohesive LR/NLR downtown business district), but it doesn't seem incredibly likely that it will start now either. The townhouses are actually more dense that what was there, but I can understand preferring preferring a commercial project had been built off the back side of Main instead of a residential one, but NLR's downtown has always been largely residential, and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. North Little Rock is very spread out for a city its size and a lot of the older parts of town haven't been kept up very well (or in some cases, weren't very attractive to begin with in the case of the industrial areas), so changing the feel of the part of the city closer to Little Rock would take a long time and a lot of work, but it's certainly not impossible.

Archived