Segarra details city’s development agenda

beerbeer

1. Swift Factory: Through strong partnerships, a vacant factory will be turned into a vibrant multipurpose facility and rejuvenate a North End neighborhood;

2. Coltsville: Continue to work with the Congressional delegation to have this area designated as a national park and securing federal and/or state funding for façade improvements;

3. XL Center: The current management contract runs out in 2013, at which point the City will assume responsibility of this facility. The Mayor and his administration are in the process of laying the groundwork to make this a more vibrant and desirable venue for sports and entertainment events;

4. iQuilt: This innovative initiative crafted by The Bushnell, The Greater Hartford Arts Council, and the city intends to knit together our wonderful social and cultural centers and enhance pedestrian routes to promote economic growth and redevelopment in the Capitol district;

5. 101 Pearl Street: Segarra and city officials are actively pursuing creative options that would benefit the Downtown area as well as neighboring tenants;

6. Albany Avenue/Route 44: A state highway and main artery in the North End, working in conjunction with MDC to aggressively pursue funding for streetscape that would prove critical to community vibrancy;

7. Capitol Avenue: Through the Greening of America's Capitals grant received from EPA, we are poised to work with appropriate state officials to transform areas surrounding the State Capitol to add green space, more appealing sightlines, and increased sustainability;

8. New Britain to Hartford Busway: This project will improve travel to and from the city, create about 4,000 jobs, and represent the state's first rapid-transit system. While the City is still firm in its position to not disrupt operations at Aetna and The Hartford, this project would revitalize Asylum Hill neighborhood and reduce traffic on I-84 and I-91;

9. Lyric Theatre: A historic theatre in the Frog Hollow neighborhood that the Mayor has targeted for restoration and the future home of the Puerto Rican Cultural Center.

Other long-range projects, the mayor says, include the Hartford Viaduct and high-speed rail.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Swift Factory: Through strong partnerships, a vacant factory will be turned into a vibrant multipurpose facility and rejuvenate a North End neighborhood;

2. Coltsville: Continue to work with the Congressional delegation to have this area designated as a national park and securing federal and/or state funding for façade improvements;

3. XL Center: The current management contract runs out in 2013, at which point the City will assume responsibility of this facility. The Mayor and his administration are in the process of laying the groundwork to make this a more vibrant and desirable venue for sports and entertainment events;

4. iQuilt: This innovative initiative crafted by The Bushnell, The Greater Hartford Arts Council, and the city intends to knit together our wonderful social and cultural centers and enhance pedestrian routes to promote economic growth and redevelopment in the Capitol district;

5. 101 Pearl Street: Segarra and city officials are actively pursuing creative options that would benefit the Downtown area as well as neighboring tenants;

6. Albany Avenue/Route 44: A state highway and main artery in the North End, working in conjunction with MDC to aggressively pursue funding for streetscape that would prove critical to community vibrancy;

7. Capitol Avenue: Through the Greening of America's Capitals grant received from EPA, we are poised to work with appropriate state officials to transform areas surrounding the State Capitol to add green space, more appealing sightlines, and increased sustainability;

8. New Britain to Hartford Busway: This project will improve travel to and from the city, create about 4,000 jobs, and represent the state's first rapid-transit system. While the City is still firm in its position to not disrupt operations at Aetna and The Hartford, this project would revitalize Asylum Hill neighborhood and reduce traffic on I-84 and I-91;

9. Lyric Theatre: A historic theatre in the Frog Hollow neighborhood that the Mayor has targeted for restoration and the future home of the Puerto Rican Cultural Center.

Other long-range projects, the mayor says, include the Hartford Viaduct and high-speed rail.

Thanks for posting this Beerbeer

I read this the other night and then I could not find it later when I was planning on posting it.

some of this stuff is great, some of it is quirky

The Swift factory i do not think I had heard of, or at least I do not remember

http://www.hartfordinfo.org/issues/wsd/Neighborhoods/wsd_swift_building.asp this links says its a "common ground" project

if you follow that link, there is a link to a PDF file

the info on the PDF is pretty sweet, and I hope this works out. the building is up on Garden and love lanes near the worst part of the North end. I truely hope it could help top stabalize the area. there is definately a chance since I know Barbor street has some projects under way as well.

the coltsville bit is fine and good, but unless its building out further housing units I kind of dont care. this project has made some progress, but people are now acting like if we just get federal recognition, it will be fine. I think if it can be a self sustaining property the feds will be interested in it.

101 pear... YAY

Lyric theater.. cool glad they are doing that, its a building thast needs saving.... I do however dislike anything that excludes other races or ethnicities or faiths, so it being a Puerto rican cultural center is a "whatever" moment, even though its a good place for a PR cultural center. whatever it is that fixes the building and gives it life, Ill take it.

all the rest are pretty much just road work or sidewalk work, or a vague interest in making the XL center more vibrant... whats that mean?

what about the capewell nail building?

what about capital west

what about clarion

what about the AI tech center

what about the land north of I-84(buttugly)

I could go on

Archived