A poor use of land

beerbeer

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is some of the worst work by the Connecticut Department of Transportation which is saying a lot. The waste of land in is inexcusable.

5550719132_59c6fb0ee5_b.jpg

Here's a ton more on that subject. If they had just built ALL the highways on the east side of the river they wouldn't need all that land to connect with the west side.

http://kurumi.com/roads/ct/towns/easthartford.html

http://kurumi.com/roads/ct/ehglast.html

http://kurumi.com/roads/ct/hfd-fwy-60s.html

The city would sure look different if they had built all those highways. Discuss.

That's a lot of road there. I had a hard time following the routes that I have traveled thousands of times. This is a relatively new image...the Hampton Inn in Founders Plaza is clearly there.

Also, what was the rationale of changing the Exit 2E ramp off Route 2 from entering I-84 West on the left to the right? It makes it easier for people wanting to head up I-91 North to Springfield, but if you want to get on 84, you need to cross over two lanes. (I guess it's better than people having to cross three lanes to get to the 91 exit.) Couldn't they have kept the old ramp and just created a new one...one for 84 traffic and one for 91 traffic?

I love that Connecticut Roads site...I have it bookmarked. It makes me frustrated, though, of what could have been. somewhere on that site, it claims there is an I-86 sign still up somewhere, but covered with branches and trees. I would love to see that.

That's a lot of road there. I had a hard time following the routes that I have traveled thousands of times. This is a relatively new image...the Hampton Inn in Founders Plaza is clearly there.

Also, what was the rationale of changing the Exit 2E ramp off Route 2 from entering I-84 West on the left to the right? It makes it easier for people wanting to head up I-91 North to Springfield, but if you want to get on 84, you need to cross over two lanes. (I guess it's better than people having to cross three lanes to get to the 91 exit.) Couldn't they have kept the old ramp and just created a new one...one for 84 traffic and one for 91 traffic?

I love that Connecticut Roads site...I have it bookmarked. It makes me frustrated, though, of what could have been. somewhere on that site, it claims there is an I-86 sign still up somewhere, but covered with branches and trees. I would love to see that.

it is kind of amazing when you take the scale of it in.

the worst part is what it would take to fix it too.

I mean you would need to find a way to move a ton of people over the river with honestly a different route. and some kind of tunnel or whatever to get 84 thru traffic off of the bridges would be the best way, and thats just financially loony. also there needs to be some way to connect 84W to 91 North that is viable and honestly independent from the bridge. and the bridge should just be street level traffic. its a bloody mess!

the only part I really would keep intact is Rt 2 and how it ends in Hartford. I might also keep the part of I-84 that is the downtown exit. the rest is just loonybins

I actually saw it a few years back! It was on the back side entrance of the JCPenney warehouse in Manchester (the side opposite the Buckland Plaza,,,,,

http://www.kurumi.com/roads/ct/i86.html

• 4 weeks later...

found an I-86 pic!

Remember that I-86 talk? This 1970 Michael Summa photo has the answer for you. The original designation of this Wilbur Cross Highway was CT 15, a continuation of the rest of that route that now ends into I-84. It was dualized and then introduced into the Interstate system as I-84, with the intent that the leg from Hartford to Providence would be I-82. In 1969, the FHWA flip-flopped, sending I-84 to Providence and making I-86 the connection from Hartford to Sturbridge. So because of the renumbering, I-86 shields started to go up even though the I-84 shields didn't come down yet. CT 15 was not removed from the I-84 junction to the MA state line until much later in 1980. Finally, US 44 now has barely any multiplex with I-84, but used to head all the way out to Exit 69 and CT 74, so that accounts for the fourth shield (again, original to the freeway). Thanks to Eric Bryant for setting my history straight.

post-8438-0-85738400-1303155916_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...

Archived