1415 Lake Drive - Kingsley Bldg - Redevelopment

GRDadof3

.. and I'm completely fine with that as long as they also pass a companion ordinance along the following lines: 

"The occupants of any residential development constructed after the date of this amendatory ordinance for which fewer than 1.5 parking spaces per unit are provided shall be prohibited from utilizing street parking for parking of vehicles from 6PM until 6AM unless such parking consists of specifically designated and developed spaces immediately adjacent to the residential development project.  Any such spaces shall be developed by the developer at the expense of the developer, and shall be protected from traffic by means of a bulb-out.  Any violation of this subsection by an occupant of the residential dwelling shall result in a civil infraction resulting in fine of $25 against the vehicle owner AND the developer."

So... you'd be fine with eliminating minimum parking requirements... as long as there are minimum parking requirements?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, organsnyder said:

So... you'd be fine with eliminating minimum parking requirements... as long as there are minimum parking requirements?

He's fine with taking the politically expeditious stance on the issue.

The easiest way to not deal with pain in the ass parking is to move to the burbs. Seems to be what the city is pushing for. 

23 hours ago, organsnyder said:

I read it as a protective measure to prevent developers from abdicating responsibility and simply foisting their parking issues onto the existing neighborhoods

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

WP_20170325_18_37_30_Pro.thumb.jpg.9ed0433b8190005458aef3483fa0c12b.jpg

Haven't driven right by the building lately, but no matter how many times I see these new windows, it just shocks and surprises me at the same time because it is amazing how such a simple exterior change can finally bring this massive building out of the background like it has been in for decades.

And the Domino's sign is nice too, I guess...

That Domino's sign practically jumps off my computer screen!  :blink:.  

Yes, the windows are going to make a huge difference. Some folks were complaining about the Juliet balconies that have been installed on the back of the building, saying they needed to be "full balconies." I don't know if I agree. I assume we will see balconies on all sides of building? It looks like some of the openings in the "front" of the building are larger.  It will be interesting to see what they do there.

• 2 months later...

There is now a fence around the dry cleaning store at the base of the Kingsley building!

At first I was excited thinking it will finally be demolished. But when I went by the building a 2nd time I saw that the building is going to have an exterior renovation (there was a drawing of the finished project on the existing building), and it will not be demolished...or maybe it will, but just rebuilt.

• 5 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, arcturus said:

I'm really liking how it's turning out.

IMG_20170730_130442.jpg

You can validate parking in any of the Kingsley retails spots, it is not well communicated and most shoppers and visitors are still parking on the street. $5 an hour to park in the lot. Seems to be a lack of good signage. Hope the public gets smarter or the communication more accessable.

On 7/1/2017 at 2:26 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

There is now a fence around the dry cleaning store at the base of the Kingsley building!

At first I was excited thinking it will finally be demolished. But when I went by the building a 2nd time I saw that the building is going to have an exterior renovation (there was a drawing of the finished project on the existing building), and it will not be demolished...or maybe it will, but just rebuilt.

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2038.JPG

Wow- It looks 100% better then it used to!  A couple pet peeves though. It appears the new window openings have casement style windows, and are not double hung like the windows from the original openings.  I don't think casement are appropriate for this style building.   It also appears the new window openings don't have stone sills like the old window openings?   It almost makes it look like the windows were pasted onto the building facade.  But, again, it does look better than before.

On 8/4/2017 at 3:22 PM, mpchicago said:

Wow- It looks 100% better then it used to!  A couple pet peeves though. It appears the new window openings have casement style windows, and are not double hung like the windows from the original openings.  I don't think casement are appropriate for this style building.   It also appears the new window openings don't have stone sills like the old window openings?   It almost makes it look like the windows were pasted onto the building facade.  But, again, it does look better than before.

Agreed.  It looks a lot better than before, but it could have looked better than it does. Sort of a common theme, unfortunately.  

Edit:  One note, to be fair.  Egress requirements have created some issues for double pane windows.  I suspect these openings are large enough that double pane windows would have worked, but there is a reason you see a lot of casements where they look bad.  Your minimum frame size for a second floor DH is about 32x66 or 34x64, for a few common widths.  A casement allow you to shrink that sucker down to a 30x46

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2017 at 10:05 AM, EastownLeo said:

You can validate parking in any of the Kingsley retails spots, it is not well communicated and most shoppers and visitors are still parking on the street. $5 an hour to park in the lot. Seems to be a lack of good signage. Hope the public gets smarter or the communication more accessable.

I was thinking about this the other day when I was in that area, and as I head out to That Early Bird for a breakfast meeting, I was thinking: isn't that street a one-way? Gennessee I believe? I think it used to be but not sure.

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I was thinking about this the other day when I was in that area, and as I head out to That Early Bird for a breakfast meeting, I was thinking: isn't that street a one-way? Gennessee I believe? I think it used to be but not sure.

Hampton is one way,  its the cross street at the end of Gennessee.

Gennessee is two way but  you can only turn south at the east end of it, back to lake drive.

Archived