Rehabilitating Laskin Road's Service / Feeder Roads

Urbanski

In today's paper they talked about VB possibly receiving $360 million dollars to carryout transportation needs. Instead of demolishing the side roads why not allow them to be used to create a nice bike or pedestrian path like in Scandinavia.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4tNL1plUKxo/SjKOUyCr8xI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/ua1u3kEcEs4/s1600-h/IMG_1488.JPG

For a class field trip for my Landscape Architecture Studio, we visited the planning department and being a local I asked what would happen to the side roads but the planner said they'd be demolished and unusable but I beg to differ. I believe something could be salvaged for at least a ten foot wide bike/ pedestrian path on both sides on either side of Laskin Road. It could create a nice, health-inducing path to the ocean front from about where Captain George's is located.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure VB officials would rather just use the space to expand for auto traffic. Hampton Roads isn't a huge bike / walk type of area and most people just want to drive their cars. I too think at least one side could do this, but there would be too many sections that have driveways to businesses, etc. where cars and bikes might collide. Plus Laskin Road doesn't look pleasant and tree lined like the above picture.

I'm sure VB officials would rather just use the space to expand for auto traffic. Hampton Roads isn't a huge bike / walk type of area and most people just want to drive their cars. I too think at least one side could do this, but there would be too many sections that have driveways to businesses, etc. where cars and bikes might collide. Plus Laskin Road doesn't look pleasant and tree lined like the above picture.

Unfortunately you're right about people wanting to drive their cars. But I feel like if we could get these green ways in place, more people would be inclined to ride. I think it would be possible to have a yield sign for pedestrians and bikes for the intersections to businesses. If we plant trees along the medians bordering laskin, it could grow to look like that possibly.

Archived