Hartford's First Skyscraper?

grock

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody remember this place?

http://dennishouse.w...r-prime-parcel/

That is depressing!

but I totally agree with Dennis! this is as we all know the most gaping hole in all of hartford. It makes the center of the city feel unsafe, it makes it far less attractive, it provides a great place for the occasional panhandler to ask for gas money, it is a damn shame, it is an embarassment. its so many things.

my only real problem is the city putting a mandate to build. when the state put mandates to build we got front street.

I would hate to see a 2 story building on this lot.

What would possibly be interesting would be to try and get BOA (formerly society for savings) to finance a development on this site with Konover providing the land, The city/state leasing all the office space(just a frew hundred K SF, lots of retail, and as many apartments as can be fit here (including low income/HUD) for a true mixed use building (with a large underground parking garage). no need to go too tall really, but nothing shorter than 12 stories for sure. ideally something closer to 20 or 30

if you can land a hotel, I say include that too.

Society and Konover both made deals and never lived up to them, so it would be interesting to kind of pressure them.

I say use the gov offices as the primary tenant because state and city offices are spread all over the place and by consolidating some in one building, not only do you create efficiencies, but you inject government into the center of the city back to where it all began at the old state house.

also buildings vacated by the office move would vacate other buildings for redevelopment into residential projects. The state and city occupy millions of SF of space in buildings that would be perfect as apartments and condos.

I dont know. we can not undo what was done

but I would also hate to force or pressure something to happen here and end up with something low quality like front street.

sometimes, I'd rather still have potential than something realized far below what could have been.

I hate that the building is gone, but the Society for Savings tower would have been awesome. Renaissance Place would have been sweet too. And you know, while I worked downtown, I went to that market all the time. ANYTHING would be better than what we have now.

It's truly sad that these buildings were never built......... The Society for Savings tower would of been an incredible addition to the Hartford skyline.

Archived