Should the M-6 have been built?

GRDadof3

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure why the Silver Line is getting sucked into this discussion. Silver Line BRT and M6 are completely different animals. There's no overlap in purpose between those two projects. If there was any highway project that you would put up against the Silver Line, it would be the improvements to 131 last decade.

I'm also not sure why some people are criticizing our bus system. From what I have read, ridership has steadily increased. And I would like to see much greater investment in public transit here, and the Silver Line BRT could be a catalyst for that. Division Ave. has a lot of potential as well.

I'm not sure why the Silver Line is getting sucked into this discussion. Silver Line BRT and M6 are completely different animals. There's no overlap in purpose between those two projects. If there was any highway project that you would put up against the Silver Line, it would be the improvements to 131 last decade.

I'm also not sure why some people are criticizing our bus system. From what I have read, ridership has steadily increased. And I would like to see much greater investment in public transit here, and the Silver Line BRT could be a catalyst for that. Division Ave. has a lot of potential as well.

jippy mentioned BRT first then GRD3 (what they would do with the $650 m to build M-6) it's all their fault :whistling:

As a logistics guy, my opinion is that it is fair and reasonable to support the development of transportation systems that allow the public to make and spend money. My bet is that if you analyze the ITP system an overwhelming 65-70% of trips are generated between home and the workplace. The same may be said if you collected data at trip generators on all metro area freeways.

The problem I'm noticing here is that people pit public transportation and roads against one another to satisfy an arching political theory. In the mix people are forgetting there is overwhelming evidence to support the reasonable development of both. Pursue both, because there are markets that create value from both concepts. Highways and freight rail to promote growth between economies, lightrail and bus transit to promote growth inside economies.

M-6 was reasonable. It looks to me that The Henry was designed to position Ford International and south, southwestern suburban areas along with the lake shore for industrial and commercial movement. I don't see how M-6 could be a commuter roadway unless south east Wyoming and Kentwood start contributing significantly to Holland-Zeeland inflows or vice versa.

Well said Rizzo, although would add the GRFIA was there first, it caused growth south and east to justify M-6. (I can remember when the airport was at 32nd & Madison) As a transportation professional (albeit a road guy) I will reiterate that we need a good comprehensive transportation system. That encompasses, highways, rail, air. The problem is all the systems need infrastructure improvements, maintenance and operating funds and the money is not there. I would even go as far to say tax increases are need to pay for roads, air, rail and mass transit. Now there's a statement that no politician will utter :shok:. These things are not free.

• 1 month later...

Should it have been built? Probably.

Is the growth it's brought absolute rubbish? Yes. It's so inorganic and sterile. I've been in the area for a while now, coming from a DT job, and I have to say the area itself is just rubbish! I swear I've gained 20 lbs since I moved to the area., because I can't get out of my car, unless I want to get hit by a semi.

Archived