Downtown Population Count

ShowMeKC

2004 Population: 15,100 people

2002 Population: 9,000

2000 Population: 6,334

1990 Population: 5,849

2005 Projected: 16,000-18,000

6,000 to 7,000 units completed since 2000.

10,000 units planned

Average DT occupancy: 1.5 ppl per unit

DT area: 3 square miles

DT Density: 5,033 ppsm

2010 Estimate: 30,000 people

Downtown Density...

1990: 1,950 ppsm

2000: 2,111 ppsm

2002: 3,000 ppsm

2004: 5,033 ppsm

• 4 months later...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

KCDevin - quick question: What is the source for the numbers above? I'd love to pass those on to a few people I know who claim nobody lives downtown, but I know the first thing they'd ask is the source of the information. I'd like to be armed with the information beforehand. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

The population numbers presented here for downtown Kansas City are certainly curious. A recent Kansas City Star article says that in 2000 3,755 people lived in downtown Kansas City. It also says that an industry benchmark for viable residential downtowns is that they contain 1% of the population of the MSA. In Kansas City, 1% of the MSA population would be 17,823 (2000). With only 3,755 living there in 2000, a significant amount of growth is needed. I seriously doubt that this growth has occurred in the past five years.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to know where the downtown numbers are coming from. I hope they are true...however St. Louis seems to have much more loft development slated or underway...and the downtown population is still under 15 thousand. I love KC, and I've been downtown, I just don't see that many people there yet..."YET" being the key word. If you build it they will come.

• 3 months later...

Wow I have been gone for a while...

The source for it is the DT Council.. DowntownKC.org

And BTW, we have more units slated and u/c than STL last time I checked...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why are people in KC always making things a contest against STL?

It really depends on what is referred to as "downtown."  From what I've seen what is referred to as "downtown" for KC is quite a few square miles large.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the information I have read, downtown KCMO is 3 square miles and stretches from the Missouri river all the way to 29th street in the south. Much of that area is what some would consider midtown. I have a difficult time seperating Downtown between the loop, crown center, and the river market, but the outlying areas don't need to be counted.

I have a friend who lives at 27th and Troost, and he is always telling me he lives downtown, almost as though he lives in some condo tower. Truth is he lives in a single-family home located in a very ghettoish neighborhood.

That's what I thought. For instance, downtown Detroit is a bit less than a square mile, but by KC standards it would include Midtown and New Center (uptown). Detroit downtown population, just downtown is nearing 7,000 and quickly throughing. Through in Midtown and New Center and it's 15,000+

• 4 weeks later...

Lmichigan, first of all, NEVER listen to him. He is an anti-KCMO forumer from the KC forums, he is always biast against KCMO. Though he used to be more interested in KCMO things, he for some reason has recently taken a turn against KCMO.

Also, i'm not the one who sets the DTKC borders, that is City Hall and the DT Council. I don't base any of my opinions on something that isn't fact.

KC's DT is exactly 2.9 square miles. It is only .1 sq mi smaller than STL's DT and is only slightly larger than MPLs' DT.

NEVER go off some1's opinion because it normally never goes w/ the real declared boundaries.

What did he say that was wrong? You just said yourself that downtown KC is nearly 3 square miles in size. That's all I wanted to know, because I had heard that downtown KC was pretty defined physically large unlike Detroit, for example. I guess then what Detroit considers downtown would be KC's CBD. How large is the population in the freeway loop?

• 6 months later...

Downtown KC is really starting to take off. It is a shame though that so many people live outside of the city center. With a city over millions of people you would think that more live downtown but I guess not.

Yeah the Country Club Plaza, a suburban shopping district built in the early 1900's kind of killed downtown. Most of the dense urban housing, major department stores, ect. has since gone in down there along with a significant amount of the City's major corpoate employers. It is starting to turn around in downtown though with HR Block moving thier headquarters from the Plaza to Downtown. KC is really starting to realize how important the downtown area is to the Metro.

Archived