Hartford to Providence

MadVlad

I just took my kids to the Roger Williams Park Zoo, aka the zoo in Providence today. Let me say, driving down Rte 6 sucks, there is no excuse why there can't be a more direct route between the two cities, both States should be ashamed. That whole route could be expressway, and could easily shave at least a half hour off that trip...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess you don't go on it during rush hour. Actually the volume isn't bad, it's just the semis barreling up your arse.

Now with the cockamamie plan to put tolls on Rt. 11, maybe they'll do the same thing to 384/6.

I was thinking the same thing. Not that I want to see tolls come back to any roads in CT but if that is what it takes to get Rt. 11 done maybe there is some hope in getting a similar plan to complete a direct highway connection between Hartford and Providence.

I am all for tolls being built to complete RT 11, and to complete 384

However, I want the tolls to be locked in for paying for construction and maintenance of those roads only, and I want the tolls to go away once they are paid for.

Gas tax and car tax should be able to cover maintenance after that.

Route 6 is fine, there is never any traffic on it, and there will never be a highway built there. Of course there is Route 2 if you want to take a highway to at least the RI border.

Guess that's why it's nickname is Suicide Six. It's not fine, it is among the most dangerous roads in the state.

This projects is blocked by bogus environmental concerns that have been given the weight of law in Connecticut and by the federal government.

ACTUALLY....... it was blocked in Rhode Island for environmental reasons... CT never blocked it, we just eventually decided a highway to nowhere was not worth the expense as construction costs rose. at first we wanted to build it even without Rhode Island, and connect to 395. but that because unreasonably and eventually it was all scrapped. them some law went around about giving the land back or building it, but nothing really happened.

I am all for tolls being built to complete RT 11, and to complete 384

However, I want the tolls to be locked in for paying for construction and maintenance of those roads only, and I want the tolls to go away once they are paid for.

Gas tax and car tax should be able to cover maintenance after that.

LMAO!!!!! Not likely.......... All that new found money will be thrown into the general budget, considering the financial hole the State is in.

LMAO!!!!! Not likely.......... All that new found money will be thrown into the general budget, considering the financial hole the State is in.

Hell, I agree, I am just saying what I would WANT

Connecting Hartford to Providence, what would it really change?

Would it help hartford at all? Would it help Providence?

One thing I am pretty sure of is that it would help Willimantic.

I am guessing that Willi would be more closely tied to Hartford economically and might benefit from the traffic

possible trucking companies, or maybe some manufacturing would stick around or expand due to better connections... maybe

Danielson would surely see benefits from the intersection and increased traffic. there could easily be distribution centers built there and it would become a greater regional economic center.

do you think the state would benefit from the connection? its not like more people would move to CT or RI

Hell, I agree, I am just saying what I would WANT

Connecting Hartford to Providence, what would it really change?

Would it help hartford at all? Would it help Providence?

One thing I am pretty sure of is that it would help Willimantic.

I am guessing that Willi would be more closely tied to Hartford economically and might benefit from the traffic

possible trucking companies, or maybe some manufacturing would stick around or expand due to better connections... maybe

Danielson would surely see benefits from the intersection and increased traffic. there could easily be distribution centers built there and it would become a greater regional economic center.

do you think the state would benefit from the connection? its not like more people would move to CT or RI

I think it would probably help people from our area get to Providence for tourism purposes more than anything else. I think it would inevitably lead to more integration between our two metros of which there is currently none so that would help both cities. It would definitely help communities in between such as Willimantic where people could choose to live if they worked in Hartford but liked to go to Providence often or vice versa even though the former is more likely. It's hard to measure but I think over time it could only be a net positive for both cities. UConn could potentially be a huge beneficiary of such a connection though. People in RI might be more likely to want to attend and UConn students would certainly visit Providence often if there was a direct highway connection nearby.

• 4 months later...

Archived