Hilltop House

twincity

Triad.Bizjournals published a story over a month ago. Former Wachovia CEO, Bud Baker, is part of a development group who purchased the former Best Western on Cherry Street. DWSP posted a press release re: the property and the future of the building.

press release

website for the new project.

110 apartments homes for downtown/Brookstown

-Best Western will be renovated - 54 units

-Additional 4 story building will be built on site - 56 units

•Club room and lounge (available for tenant private events).

•Included well lit parking adjacent to each apartment home.

•Quality views of downtown Winston-Salem and historic Old Salem.

•State-of-the-art laundry facilities.

•Around-the-clock fitness center.

•Swimming pool.

•Business Center.

•Full kitchen.

•Private balconies and patios.

•Apartments available furnished and unfurnished.

•Stainless steel appliance package.

•White pearl granite countertops.

•Spacious white cabinetry with brushed nickel hardware.

•Wall-mounted flat screen televisions.[/

• 1 month later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

The first phase opens in about 2 weeks.

You can see the four story addition under Wells Fargo Center. That breaks ground late this summer.

5959548185_1713875e3c.jpg

5960108516_eea9056d08_z.jpg

Hardly any obvious changes to the Best Western. Its an affordable option for those who want to live downtown and in a great location. It looks like the developer is targeting these units mainly for Salem, UNCSA and WSSU.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Hilltop House South is finished and residents are now moving in. This is the first in a wave of new aprt openings in the next couple of months that include the Link Brookstown by BB&T Ballpark and Plant 64.

I find it rather interesting......according to the website, the units at Hilltop Downtown (on south Cherry across from the Hylehurst Mansion) start for less, and top out at $1,100.  The units in the newer Hilltop South next to the Brookstown Inn and strollway, start for more, and top out for less ($925).  The south building, which I did not like the renderings of, and have yet to see for real, should be an interesting study.  The NY architect/interior designer David Easton gave a lecture in the Triad several years back and lauded modular construction as the wave of the future, sort of like purchasing a pre-fab home made by IKEA, of sorts.  I guess time will tell what the population growth worldwide, nationwide, and locally does for the mindset of modular living.  Even though I don't care for the design, I do find the age difference of the Brookstown and Hilltop South of about 180 years apart intriguing.

Archived