vicupstate

Hyatt Renovation

199 posts in this topic

Hyatt Renovations Drawings

Four retail spaces plus "Studio 220". The precast concrete will be painted, and canopying also will be added. Materials and colors TBD.

I like the new entry condition they're proposing and the amount of retail spaces. I'll be intrigued to see how they manage to keep the really cool integrity of the building. It's difficult to see from their application, which is kind of poorly informative.

Hyatt Plaza Application

Application for the Plaza (Beattie Place as well as Main St.) above.

I love the Cafe renovations. I am not sure what the point of the 'stage' is, unless it is a permanant home for the Jazz Festival bands. I hate to see the existing outdoor fountain go.

Hyatt Plaza Application

Application for the Plaza (Beattie Place as well as Main St.) above.

I love the Cafe renovations. I am not sure what the point of the 'stage' is, unless it is a permanant home for the Jazz Festival bands. I hate to see the existing outdoor fountain go.

I agree about the loss of the fountain. The plaza re-do I'll reserve judgement for its completion.

Yep...I love the restaurant design (Provencia I believe) with its outdoor seating, waterwall signage, and fire pit. :thumbsup: However, I would also like to see the fountain remain if possible.

Edited by citylife

I forgot that JHM Hotels manages the Greenville Hyatt. They did a great job with the Marriott on Pelham Road, and I expect that they will do excellent work here too. :thumbsup:

The Hyatt plaza renovation plan presented to the DRB was rejected. McMillan Pazdan Smith, the project's architectural design firm, was told to revise the plan primarily due to a significant amount of concrete and noticeable lack of sufficient tree cover.

The Hyatt plaza renovation plan presented to the DRB was rejected. McMillan Pazdan Smith, the project's architectural design firm, was told to revise the plan primarily due to a significant amount of concrete and noticeable lack of sufficient tree cover.

I support that decision. :thumbsup:

I support that decision. :thumbsup:

I'm going to wait to hear what Heidi Aiken tells me what to think before I give my opinion. <end dripping sarcasm related to a diferent project>

Actually, I like the rejection as well.

With the Hyatt being the de-facto gateway into Downtown, it needs to incorporate the "treesy" feel (not my word, but effective) the rest of Main Street has.That copy of the plans shown in a post above seemed perfectly efficient and logical for any Hyatt; however just not this particular one. Concrete overhangs and occasional planters? It's GREENville, after all, not Concreteville. (Oh, crap. That wordplay failed miserably. Sorry, I'm about a gallon low on coffee this morn.)

Edited by Birdbrain

Have to post twice as it won't let me edit my post. Even with this updated plan that looks much better than before, I would still like to see the current fountain fronting Main Street remain.

IMHO, there are now too many trees. You want be able to see the Hyatt from Main St. for the tress.

Knowing the Ramas, they're probably struggling to find help getting the project to not look as cheap as they're willing to spend on it.

I heard a rumor a while back - and I don't know whether there is any substance to it - that the Hyatt would shut down for renovations over the Christmas holidays, displacing St. Francis Festival of Trees. This came from someone who is closely involved with the volunteer network. For what it's worth, it appears that the 2011 Festival of Trees will take place at Marriott Greenville, Courtyard Greenville Downtown, and Hampton Inn & Suites - Riverplace (http://www.stfrancisfoundation.com/events.php).

Construction bids for the project go out on December 1st.

Looks like renovations are about to get started. Caution tape and cones were up around part of the plaza area yesterday.

004-53.jpg

010-40.jpg

005-53.jpg

009-37.jpg

008-41.jpg

007-49.jpg

006-51.jpg

Edited by citylife

Are the Water features going away? That was always one of my favorite things about the Hyatt. It was peaceful and kinda tied into what was going on at the other end of main with the falls.

Announcement tomorrow morning at 10:30am according to WYFF.

In house announcement was yesterday... pretty cool things planed. NOMA Square and a new Greenville attraction.

Greenville News article

http://www.greenvill...dyssey=nav{sodEmoji.|}head

The Hyatt hotel and the stretch of North Main Street that it fronts will get a brand new look under renovation plans unveiled this morning by the hotel’s new owner, JHM Hotels of Greenville.

Plans call for a permanent stage in the North Main area where the city has held the popular Downtown Alive and Main Street Fridays street festivals on Thursdays and Fridays in the spring and summer.

That area will be renamed Noma Square and will also get a new “farm-to-table” restaurant called Roost with patio seating as well as a curved water feature and “custom firebowl,” JHM Hotels announced.

The company also said the Hyatt’s new “show stopping” lobby would include the Upstate’s largest “video wall” at the Orb Lounge and Max’s Library, a reading room and “technology station” named for the late Max Heller, mayor of Greenville when the 328-room hotel was developed, sparking a long-term revitalization of Main Street.

JHM Hotels also said it would add 13,500 square feet of conference space, including 6,000 square feet at the corner of Beattie Place and North Main called Studio 220 that will be like an art gallery and have hardwood floors and lots of natural light.

The company also said it would introduce a European-style waffle cart at Noma Square and modernize and re-brand the Greenville Commons office space attached to the hotel. The new name is Noma Tower.

6881473765_2b10120526_z.jpg

Edited by adrockc2

NOMA Square... I like it better than Hyatt Plaza. Simply because it's more permanent than a name of a business that can change. However, those abbreviations are so widely used in different cities. I'd like something more original. Nonetheless, I'm excited about the investment pumping into North Main, and the renovation of yet another fantastic outdoor space.

The rendering of the lobby looks nice. I like the proposed lighting fixture.