Hyatt Renovation

vicupstate

I actually don't mind NoMa. Unimaginative or not, it fits and it's a nice way to separate that portion of Main Street as its own area. I also think it will stick because it's easy to remember.

Of course, my reaction is probably more relief that they didn't name it something absurd like the recent attempt to rebrand West Greenville as The Far West End.

I agree that this isn't particularly offensive. I certainly prefer it over some other naming trends such as corporate brands (Enron Stadium, anyone?) or some Faux-Englishy type name (Ye Olde Northe Main Tower?). That said, having something more personal or historical would have been nice, especially given the significance of the Hyatt to downtown's development.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually don't mind NoMa. Unimaginative or not, it fits and it's a nice way to separate that portion of Main Street as its own area. I also think it will stick because it's easy to remember.

Of course, my reaction is probably more relief that they didn't name it something absurd like the recent attempt to rebrand West Greenville as The Far West End.

Agreed. I really like the name NOMA Square myself. Just like with the ONE project, it's short and gets straight to the point. I think JHM Hotels did a great job with it. :thumbsup:

"One" is definitely a silly project name, in my opinion, unless it is an appropriate acronym for something significant.

It's an address, much like 100 East, etc, so One doesn't bother me. I don't mind NoMa Plaza, itself. I just don't want to see the entire area try and rebrand.

My weekend:

Shopping on HayRo (Haywood Road).

A show at PeeCee (Peace Center)

Going to see some friends in SimpSo (Simpsonville)

Getting my car washed on WaHa (Wade Hampton)

Lunch on WooRo (Woodruff Road)

A purchase or two at Earshot on LaRo (Laurens Road)

Maybe stop by Publix on PleBu (Pleasantburg)

And cap it off with a movie in CheeDa (Cherrydale) after evening drinks with friends on PaMo (Paris Mountain)

Oh what fun to rename.........

My weekend:

Shopping on HayRo (Haywood Road).

A show at PeeCee (Peace Center)

Going to see some friends in SimpSo (Simpsonville)

Getting my car washed on WaHa (Wade Hampton)

Lunch on WooRo (Woodruff Road)

A purchase or two at Earshot on LaRo (Laurens Road)

Maybe stop by Publix on PleBu (Pleasantburg)

And cap it off with a movie in CheeDa (Cherrydale) after evening drinks with friends on PaMo (Paris Mountain)

Oh what fun to rename.........

Get over yourself. The Hyatt is attempting to rebrand themselves as something that is both hip and current. I don't think the makeup of downtown is going to changing because of one name.

Get over yourself. The Hyatt is attempting to rebrand themselves as something that is both hip and current. I don't think the makeup of downtown is going to changing because of one name.

Calling it NoMa isn't very hip or current. At this point it makes a city sound like it is trying too hard to be like NeYo (New York).

Because NOMA is a lot easier to say than Max Heller Plaza. It's much easier to say I'm going to the new restaurant Roost at NOMA then say, I'm going to Roost at the Max Heller Plaza. NOMA creates intrigue an intrigue that Max Heller does not. Its an incredibly simple marketing strategy.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

In simple marketing, you tweak the product and tweak the product image, you not change the product's name (unless it is really a horrible product.....ie: Valujet became AirTran to shake their poor image). That is 101. In this case, the Hyatt and the plaza both have a stellar image and a strong history as the birthplace of current day, revitalized Main.

Conversation one:

I'm going to lunch at Roost Where is that? North Main.

Conversation two:

I'm going to lunch at Roost. Where is that? NOMA. Where is NOMA? It is the plaza in front of the Hyatt on North Main.

Most people will say, "I'm going to Roost. That's the new restaurant at the Hyatt." Otherwise, as gsupstate said, most people will be asking where NoMa is. :rolleyes:

That is exactly what I was saying. NoMa creates intrigue. Having to ask where something is is not a bad thing, it allows for elaboration on a topic rather than a quick conversation. In my opinion JHM has done a spectacular job renaming the plaza, just look at the attention it has received just because of a name change.

That is exactly what I was saying. NoMa creates intrigue. Having to ask where something is is not a bad thing, it allows for elaboration on a topic rather than a quick conversation. In my opinion JHM has done a spectacular job renaming the plaza, just look at the attention it has received just because of a name change.

I like the name personally and thought it clicked instantly when I saw it released. People on here are really getting their panties in a bunch for no reason. Noma is easy to say and easy to explain to people asking. Noma is interesting, intriguing and new when not a lot is new on North Main.

Everyone can call it whatever they prefer, but "NoMa" sounds pretentious (out of place) and silly in my opinion. I plan to call it the "North Main Street plaza at the Hyatt," or simply, "the Hyatt plaza."

^ Exactly the point.

Greenville has never gone for cutsie names....it has always been a very direct city.....perhaps part of the German influence that is here. Greenville's direct attitude is one of the greatest parts of its charm.

With this redo, Hyatt Plaza suddenly becomes NOMA, so I guess with the redo of Piazza Bergamo, it should become PiBerg?

Sorry, attempts at cutsie names wreeks of trying too hard. Greenville has always been great at just being Greenville. If we need cutsie names and need to create intrigue, then we have a problem.

It will just be Hyatt Plaza to me.

Archived