Hyatt Renovation

vicupstate

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like with minor league team names in this area, I am sure people will get used to the NoMa name after a while.

Not following your analogy.

Both the Drive and the Road Warriors are great names as they tie into the automotive nature of the area. Additionally, both teams were new, not existing and had to be named.

Hyatt Plaza existed, and for whatever silly, small town, reason, was changed to NOMA. A silly change for no legit reason.

Not following your analogy.

Both the Drive and the Road Warriors are great names as they tie into the automotive nature of the area. Additionally, both teams were new, not existing and had to be named.

Hyatt Plaza existed, and for whatever silly, small town, reason, was changed to NOMA. A silly change for no legit reason.

The name was changed for a simple reason. It was old and outdated, just like the plaza. Just because you liked the name doesn't mean that everyone did and honestly I didn't even know it had a name. The new name, along with the new plaza and the One development, will attract the younger crowd that has moved on towards the West End. Names are changed all the time and unless you have some way to influence the developers ($), you probably won't get a say it the choice of name. Noma is short, distinct and makes it seem like a new place instead of the plain old plaza in front of the ugly Hyatt.

The name was changed for a simple reason. It was old and outdated, just like the plaza. Just because you liked the name doesn't mean that everyone did and honestly I didn't even know it had a name. The new name, along with the new plaza and the One development, will attract the younger crowd that has moved on towards the West End. Names are changed all the time and unless you have some way to influence the developers ($), you probably won't get a say it the choice of name. Noma is short, distinct and makes it seem like a new place instead of the plain old plaza in front of the ugly Hyatt.

It has nothing to do with the old name, it is the fact they are renaming with a contrived name. Contrived is never good. The young hip crowd I meet in my travels (at least the ones with taste), eschew anything contrived. I guess the best way I can explain it, is that West End just became young and fun without being contrived. NOMA is simply trying to hard. If many of you are OK with contrived in downtown Greenville then enjoy it. It certainly is not what has made Greenville great these past several years.

It has nothing to do with the old name, it is the fact they are renaming with a contrived name. Contrived is never good. The young hip crowd I meet in my travels (at least the ones with taste), eschew anything contrived. I guess the best way I can explain it, is that West End just became young and fun without being contrived. NOMA is simply trying to hard. If many of you are OK with contrived in downtown Greenville then enjoy it. It certainly is not what has made Greenville great these past several years.

What are you arguing is purely opinion and the argument itself is completely filled with logical fallacies. You cannot factually tell me that NoMa is contrived. And then going on to say "at least the ones with taste, eschew anything contrived" further weakens any argument you are trying to make. That statement shows that you only listen to people who are like minded, which makes you close minded. JHM felt they needed to rebrand because an outdated plaza is being renovated. The name, in their opinion, attracts attention and from what I see from discussion on here has done just that.

Wow! I can't believe people are having an argument over a name. I'm happy to see the progress. I could care less about a name, and I believe i'm a very achieved person. I love what is going on here. If it gets to the point where I don't like it, then it's time for me to make a change. I don't worry about things I have no control over. None of should unless we want to live a miserable life. No offense intended to anyone. ;)

With this redo, Hyatt Plaza suddenly becomes NOMA, so I guess with the redo of Piazza Bergamo, it should become PiBerg?

Wait...I got it gsupstate. :thumbsup: They should change the name from "Piazza Bergamo" to "NIMBY" to celebrate the people who tried and failed miserably in trying to stop the One development. Just sayin... :whistling:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also noticed the glass around the former Liquid Highway had been removed. Anybody know if that space will be part of this new restaurant or something different?

New coffee shop. Same one that was in there before Liquid Highway. Mentioned somewhere on the Forum but cant remember the name.

New coffee shop. Same one that was in there before Liquid Highway. Mentioned somewhere on the Forum but cant remember the name.

I thought that was gonna be part of Roost with the former Provencia and Liquid Highway spaces being merged into one large space for it. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20120811/BUSINESS/308110008/Downtown-venues-gain-favor-events?odyssey=tab{sodEmoji.|}topnews{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

Interesting article on meetings downtown. It mentions that the Hyatt renovations will add meeting space to the hotel. I was unaware of that. Does anyone know the square footage being added. The total will be 37,500.

Interesting article on meetings downtown. It mentions that the Hyatt renovations will add meeting space to the hotel. I was unaware of that. Does anyone know the square footage being added. The total will be 37,500.

As noted here previously, part of the 13,500 sq. ft. of additional meeting space being constructed will be Studio 220, described on Nomasquare.com as "a modern, new 6,000-square-foot meeting space ... perfect for business meetings and local events." That will take up part of the street level in the rebranded "NoMa Tower" on the corner of Main and Beattie. Also being added within the hotel, according to a Feb. 15 article found on Greenvillebusinessmag.com, are "a new board room and a 'think tank' room for business meetings..."It is unclear whether the new meeting space total takes into account Max’s Library, a business center and reading room being constructed just off the main lobby. That space, of course, honor's the late Greenville Mayor Max Heller, whose vision helped bring the original Hyatt project to Greenville's downtown some 30 years ago.

Archived