Hyatt Renovation

vicupstate

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mouse is just moved right?  It's not removed.

Yes. I found it again, about 35 - 40 feet from the apparently temporary spot where it had been just a few weeks before. What was most puzzling, though, was that the place where I found it previously, after construction in the square had been completed, appeared permanent and fully landscaped. I won't tell you where it is now, but I am hoping it won't be moved again. It arguably fits the original mouse hint, "Begin your search on North Main where the water flowing in and out of the hotel makes a fountain on the outside. You'll find the father mouse, Marvin, reading his book. He can't hide--take a good look!" Of course, the water no longer flows "in and out of the hotel," but there is a fountain of sorts.

I understand missing certain elements of the old, I hate that the  'U shaped' Peace Center Fountain is gone. But at the same time, I like many of the new elements at the Peace Center too. 

The lobby certainly needed the extra space, and there is now a much stronger visual connection between the Peace Center plaza and the Reedy River/Riverplace.  Also, the old 'drive thru' at the Peace Center seems to make even less sense than ever, now that it is gone.

Most of the time you can't keep all 'the old' and also get 'the new', unless you are enlarging the total space. You have to make trade-offs.  That is certainly the case with both the Hyatt and the Peace Center.           

I liked the fountain at the Hyatt, and how it was indoor/outdoor, but I also understand the issue of leaves and other debris being a headache. In my opinion the old Hyatt plaza had little to offer otherwise. There was no reason to be there, other than to walk to or from the Hyatt entrance.  There is much more 'life' there now, with the 'al fresca' dining and the new fudge/ice cream place will ceratinly add to that.  The offices that use to border the plaza added nothing to the vitality of the space.   While the beige may be boring to some, it certainly is an improvement over the cold and sterile concrete appearance originally.  The new layout is more practical for the concerts and events held in that space now too. 

I see many more people actually staying in the space now than before.  Also, the Beattie Street side and especially the INTERIOR are nothing but a big improvement over the previous incarnation.

One change I would have made is to utilize the tile in the fountain wall to add a splash of bold color.       

Minus the lack of shade, I think the plaza area looks much better than it did before. Just like with the Peace Center plaza area and Piazza Bergamo, the Hyatt plaza area looked like it was stuck in the 1980's/1990's before the revamp. Now it looks much more modern and fresh with more amenities. AAA would seem to agree with me also....four diamonds anyone?

• 7 months later...

Starbucks is coming to the last space in NOMA Square, between Kilwins and the Hyatt entrance.

Cool!  Is this where the other coffee shop was before?

Ahhh...that's right. It was Liquid Highway.

gman430 is right. However, I'm pretty sure the Liquid Highway space became part of Roost, so it is unavailable for transformation into Starbucks. Besides, vicupstate did report that the new Starbucks would be "between Kilwins and the Hyatt entrance," meaning the entrance into the upper lobby area from the former fountain plaza. That description is pretty clear and should end further speculation regarding other locations.

gman430 is right. However, I'm pretty sure the Liquid Highway space became part of Roost, so it is unavailable for transformation into Starbucks. Besides, vicupstate did report that the new Starbucks would be "between Kilwins and the Hyatt entrance," meaning the entrance into the upper lobby area from the former fountain plaza. That description is pretty clear and should end further speculation regarding other locations.

Thanks.  I don't live in Greenville, and the description wasn't "pretty clear" to me since I have no idea where Kilwins is - thus the reason I asked.

Thanks.  I don't live in Greenville, and the description wasn't "pretty clear" to me since I have no idea where Kilwins is - thus the reason I asked.

Sorry for any unwarranted assumptions on my part. However, I don't live in Greenville, either, and neither did I know where Kilwin's was without doing a little Web research of my own.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall there being a coffee shop at the Hyatt previously.

Back in the mid-90's, about the same time Coffee Underground opened, there were several other local coffee shops (e.g., "Coffee on Coffee", one at Lewis Plaza, one in an old house at the intersection of Pelham and Blacks), including one in the Hyatt building itself, in the space to the right of the plaza as you face it from Main St., at the "point" of the building. (Sorry, been a while since I've been there--going on memory). I believe it was called "Allegro," but it didn't last all that long, as I recall.

Archived