Hyatt Renovation

vicupstate

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. :thumbsup: Project looks awesome. Sounds like we should see some good retailers within NOMA also:

The retail stores have not yet been named. Rama expects one of them to be determined in 45 days. JHM is being very selective about the type of retail that will go there, such as whether the store will keep longer hours or maintain Greenville’s heritage.

More info: http://www.gsabusine...t-to-north-main

Glad to see some of the growth(trees) have been eliminated. At least you'll be able to see some of the Hyatt from Main.

Yes, a few have been eliminated but the DPC made them keep most of the trees and add new ones to the plaza area fronting Main Street. This is why the architect and developer had to go back for approval a second time after being rejected the first time. Glad to see the DPC do this personally. The trees along Main Street are one of the main things that make downtown so great.

Great. Lets make Greenville just like "everywhere USA". Thats the ticket. Yep.

This name is in the same league as the painted sculptures of animals that dot downtowns around the nation...painted fish sculptures, painted bear sculptures, painted shark sculptures, painted snake sculptures, painted cow sculptures....pick your animal.....you guys have seen them. Uninspired, copy cat, lack of creativity....all the above.

Are we sure that they mean Noma in the name to be synonymous with SoHo (and the many cities who have copied it since)? I thought it must have some significance to Indian culture or something (since the owners are Indian). I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

If NoMa is supposed to be short for North Main then that's incredibly stupid and unimaginative. I would expect something better from JHM Hotels (and for a great city like Greenville).

Are we sure that they mean Noma in the name to be synonymous with SoHo (and the many cities who have copied it since)? I thought it must have some significance to Indian culture or something (since the owners are Indian). I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

If NoMa is supposed to be short for North Main then that's incredibly stupid and unimaginative. I would expect something better from JHM Hotels (and for a great city like Greenville).

I wish they would have played up Indian culture a bit.....a high end Indian restaurant like Copper maybe. As is though, I do think the restaurant choices are excellent and very current......one an open kitchen, one a farm to table (or to go with NOMA, I guess it would be an FtoT), and of course the waffle cart.

My understanding is that NOMA is for North Main and I just find that tragic. Until now, Greenville has avoided precious, sweetsie, mind numbing nomenclature. I can just picture some CCTT calling it NOMA'S (adding the S). What is wrong with calling it what it is? North Main Plaza. Or why not broaden the whole Max Heller Plaza?

I actually don't mind NoMa. Unimaginative or not, it fits and it's a nice way to separate that portion of Main Street as its own area. I also think it will stick because it's easy to remember.

Of course, my reaction is probably more relief that they didn't name it something absurd like the recent attempt to rebrand West Greenville as The Far West End.

Archived