CanalSide

JT Boy

Its nice, but I dont like that it doesn't provide any potential connectivity to adjacent land- specifically to the south.

City Council just okayed funds for the design of the Canal Esplanade, the part of the greenway that will connect Canal Side to Canal Place, which is the park they are going to build around the south end of the Columbia Canal next to the State Museum and EdVenture Children's Museum. The pedestrian overpass will be removed. The greenway will go underneath the Jarvis Klapman bridge, which is the bridge Taylor Street feeds onto to go to West Columbia and the bridge you cross when coming from West Columbia into Columbia on Hampton Street.

City Council just okayed funds for the design of the Canal Esplanade, the part of the greenway that will connect Canal Side to Canal Place, which is the park they are going to build around the south end of the Columbia Canal next to the State Museum and EdVenture Children's Museum. The pedestrian overpass will be removed. The greenway will go underneath the Jarvis Klapman bridge, which is the bridge Taylor Street feeds onto to go to West Columbia and the bridge you cross when coming from West Columbia into Columbia on Hampton Street.

Corgi, that's awesome news about the greenway going under the bridge, I hadn't heard that before. I can't wait for the greenway, the esplanade and Canalside to be completed. I am a little bit disappointed, though, that there won't be more retail in Canalside than is planned and that there won't be boats in the canal. I think a few gondolas would really spice things up a bit. :)

I think a mall should be built DT kinda like the Gallarie in Philly, although not sure where would be a good place to locate it? maybe somewhere between the Vista and Olympia. Main St. would be ideal but alot of buildings would have to be removed. Oh well here's hoping!

There already IS a mall downtown, the Arcade Mall next to the Barringer Building. If and when I win the lottery I will renovate it and turn it into a showplace. ;)

arcade%20mall%202.jpg

arcade%20mall%20outside.jpg

The Galleria Mall in White Plains, NY is another good example of how a center city indoor mall can work. It's located right in the heart of White Plains on Main Street. I'm not really a big advocate of the idea, however it works beautifully there. I'd actually prefer to see outlets, maybe even a shopping district like a Rodeo (long ways away but you get the idea) to make for foot traffic outdoors. No malls please. However, if they can pull it off, I won't stay away from it.

edit: I just wanted to add a link to the White Plains website. It's a city of comparable size to Columbia - downtown that is - and it's had some amazing growth over the past 10 to 15 years. Being so close to New York City hasn't hurt it. Beautiful town.

http://www.cityofwhiteplains.com/

Edited by TruantSpeakEZ

• 2 months later...

There already IS a mall downtown, the Arcade Mall next to the Barringer Building. If and when I win the lottery I will renovate it and turn it into a showplace. ;)

When I was an intern for a company downtown, I walked by that building many lunch hours. If parking wasn't such a big issue downtown, that would be a great place for downtown retail development.

I was in Cleveland, OH on vacation last year and me and my fiance did some shopping at Tower City. Great shopping, downtown location, and it was pretty nice overall.

The latest from the Columbia Star is the the land transfer process should be complete within 30 days. Immediately upon taking ownership of the land, The Beach Company will commence site preparation and construction. So I guess we should see some dirt turning around the beginning of April.

That's great news; I can't wait to see Canalside take off, even if I can't afford to live there.

Excellent!!! Man, I can't wait. I'm already signed up for the advance sales notices... but i'm sure i can't afford it either! :)

I also signed up for the advance sales thing. But I'm hoping there will be some reasonably priced stuff in there...condos or townhouses. And by reasonable I mean less than $200,000.

The latest from the Columbia Star is the the land transfer process should be complete within 30 days. Immediately upon taking ownership of the land, The Beach Company will commence site preparation and construction. So I guess we should see some dirt turning around the beginning of April.

There is definitely movement in the ground-level retail space on the right hand side of the Dupree Building where Canalside has their logo on the window.

OK, I've been giving a little thought to this project and this thought occurred to me: is this the BEST thing to do with such a valuable piece of riverfront property? Could something be developed on the old CCI site which (better) serves the citizenry of Columbia? Something like an art garden or skate park or pavilion/amphitheater (or any combination of things) right next to the river would be an excellent addition to the cityscape of Columbia. What do you guys think?

OK, I've been giving a little thought to this project and this thought occurred to me: is this the BEST thing to do with such a valuable piece of riverfront property? Could something be developed on the old CCI site which (better) serves the citizenry of Columbia? Something like an art garden or skate park or pavilion/amphitheater (or any combination of things) right next to the river would be an excellent addition to the cityscape of Columbia. What do you guys think?

Honestly, I think with the esplanade being built and Riverfront Park already being down there, we need to add population to the mix. Nothing will create crowds like having people living down there, so I am glad to see the residential development. I would have liked to have seen something more dense, though, with a few mid to highrises thrown in.

That's a good point; I thought about Canal Front, but it just seems to be so sloooooooooooooow in getting off the ground. I've even forgotten the details of the development; all I remember is the location, in the State Museum/EdVenture area. But I was just throwing something else around. I hope Innovista will have a nice spot or two where the public can access the riverfront from that end of downtown.

Regarding the previous three posts, Canalside promises to look out for the public with public squares and the city-financed canal esplanade. I heard city councilwoman Anne Sinclair say in a recent council meeting that with Canal Front about to begin, she thought it would be nice, since the city already owns the land just south of the Congaree River Bridge (Gervais St. Bridge), if city staff would look at making the area accessible to the public so that by the time Canal Front is complete people can go underneath the bridge and have a picnic lunch by the river after visiting the museums, etc. And USC and the Guinyards have stressed that the greenway will go through the western edge of Innovista between Gervais and Blossom for public use, in addition to the public squares that will be an integral part of the research district. They have even said that the greenway and a park will be on the west side of the baseball stadium between the stadium and the river, south of Blossom. And to me, Canalside's 750 homes will be pretty dense.

• 2 weeks later...