CanalSide

JT Boy

Good Lord you have no taste...in this thread or others.

Hey, Bry, that's not nice to attack someone's personal tastes --don't be so harsh on mcashlav.

I actually agree that these condos are bland as white bread. But it will be okay once built . . I won't object to SOMEthing going in finally. I do wish Columbia could garner better than mediocre design, and especially better quality building material. These seem exceedingly cheesy. Like another poster said, they are stick with no elevators, and probably clad in factory-built panels. Sigh . . .

More neo-classical architecture would be nice here in the Capital City . . or something totally modern and sleek. We should all insist on excellence and a diverse mix of architectural styles/sizes/materials/color, etc., in our built environment here and everywhere. This is especially true of Columbia since it is essentially a clean slate that will be filled in no time. Say it with me: "No bland design! No cheap facades!"

Well, at least Columbia isn't alone here. We see this type of thing going on everywhere. I think people in many other different cities get tired of the same standard designs, especially when it comes to condo buildings. At least all the buildings in CanalSide won't look the same; that would be overkill. Personally, I'd like to see some DC-esque modern architecture in Columbia, something like this:

1101kst.jpg

^I don't think that will affect sales at all. The location is great.

I agree about the location, but I know plenty of people who said they wouldn't buy anything there for that reason. I really am curious to see how it will affect sales. I guess it would make a difference if the local news media started making an issue of it too.

Well, at least Columbia isn't alone here. We see this type of thing going on everywhere. I think people in many other different cities get tired of the same standard designs, especially when it comes to condo buildings. At least all the buildings in CanalSide won't look the same; that would be overkill. Personally, I'd like to see some DC-esque modern architecture in Columbia, something like this:

1101kst.jpg

Now, THAT would be a start! And the height is great.

Maybe one day . . .

It will be different for Columbia. The Taylor Street townhomes somewhat remind me of the Bookends in Greenville with the architectural variation in one building (photo courtesy of Spartan):

bookends.png

Whomever said that they like garden condos has it right. These condos are so much more awesome-looking now than in this photo. There's just something cozy about lush greenery and coloful flowering plants flowing over the balconies. :wub: I hope to see more of these come to our cities.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks good.

1101kst.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The "Sola Station" building to be built on Taylor reminds me a bit of this residential building in Charlotte in the NoDa area:

NoDabldg.jpg

taylor_st_condos.jpg

Wow, they look very similar. I think Sola Station will look much better, with all the glass.

I thought they were working on the roads.

I guess I need to look closer next time I drive by. :blush: