CanalSide

JT Boy

I stopped by the Canalside sales office on Gervais St today to pickup some brochures and they said the first phase would be available for occupancy in summer 2008. I asked if that wasn't overly ambitious a schedule and they insisted the first phase (about half the development area) would definitely be ready by then.

I stopped by the Canalside sales office on Gervais St today to pickup some brochures and they said the first phase would be available for occupancy in summer 2008. I asked if that wasn't overly ambitious a schedule and they insisted the first phase (about half the development area) would definitely be ready by then.

I drove by there also... the site seems to be pretty busy. I'm happy to see this devolpment come to life. I hope the bull street project can move to a similar pace :yahoo:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Beach Co. is opening a Vista showroom today to help boost its CanalSide condo sales given the sluggish residential market. Half of the 58 condos offered and 15 of the 35 luxury townhomes have already presold. The company's vice-president says that they have the resources to slow down build-out, or switch some condos to offices or more apartments, as the market dictates.

In today's State Paper the City of Columbia is planning it's shelter near the CanalSide Development. WoW..that's a pretty bad move to me!!!!Especially if their trying to aim at a certain class of people. I don't know any one who wants to walk our their door and see homeless people. Not saying anything is wrong with that, but I definetly wouldn't prefer such. What do anyone else think???? :unsure:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It'll be interesting to see how they redirect traffic down Taylor and how that will affect that terrible existing hairpin curve. Will there be an intersection where there wasn't one before to calm traffic? Will traffic heading west be redirected to turn left onto Huger, then right (let's hope not--that would be horrendous!)

What would really be beautiful is if they could go ahead and make Taylor and Laurel TWO-way beforehand. That way, the cars won't be rushing toward the new Canalside neighborhood like crazed hordes of linebackers as they are today.

It'll be interesting to see how they redirect traffic down Taylor and how that will affect that terrible existing hairpin curve. Will there be an intersection where there wasn't one before to calm traffic? Will traffic heading west be redirected to turn left onto Huger, then right (let's hope not--that would be horrendous!)

What would really be beautiful is if they could go ahead and make Taylor and Laurel TWO-way beforehand. That way, the cars won't be rushing toward the new Canalside neighborhood like crazed hordes of linebackers as they are today.

Hut one, hut two. Hike.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for some reason I recall that being the plan (to revert those streets to 2-way).

I can't say I remember that being the conclusion. If anything I seem to remember something to the effect that they would remain one-way, "for now," I think it said, unless I dreamed it. It's Taylor and Hampton, not Taylor and Laurel.

Yes, thanks, CorgiMatt--I meant Hampton, not Laurel.

I do hope Taylor and Hampton will be made 2-way, and BEFORE the Canalside portion of Taylor Street opens. The last thing I'd like to see there is a gate of some sort. That would be terrible--we don't want a gated community, but public thoroughfares as an extension of the current grid. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if Canalside closed off Taylor to through traffic at least at first to shield themselves from the barrage of vehicles racing down the hill and careening around that wild curve on Taylor. If they just made Hampton 2-way, those vehicles would already be pointed toward the bridge to Lexington County, and that curve could be made into a normal side street. Lord knows how long it will take the city bureaucrats to do this, though, so get used to gates or a roadblock at that intersection for now, folks--ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little dissapointed in the look of the apartments. I drove by them today and it looks like glorified garden apartments trying to be urban. I was also surprised it does not appear to have elevators.

Me too! I think the combination of materials is really ugly, and the colors are horrible. It looks "cheap".

Me too! I think the combination of materials is really ugly, and the colors are horrible. It looks "cheap".

If this development ends up with glorified garden apartments I think we'll all be terribly disappointed. They aren't blowing me away at the moment, but I'm taking a wait and see approach.