CanalSide

JT Boy

• 2 months later...

More on the grand opening from a Beach Co. email blast:

Esplanade at CanalSide Grand Opening

Please join us in celebrating the Grand Opening of the Esplanade at Canalside on Friday, February 20th at 11 a.m. The Esplanade is located at the end of Taylor Street in the CanalSide neighborhood.

Following the ceremony, please drop by our leasing office at 383 Taylor Street, Suite 103 for some light refreshments and a tour of our model.

Anybody been inside the apartments yet? They're starting at $890 now, but have been running specials. That's still high, IMO.

Edited by emerging.me

• 1 year later...

The City of Columbia, working with the River Alliance and other community groups, established its vision of the former state prison site as a high-quality, urban, water-focused neighborhood and an integral, active part of Columbia’s community of neighborhoods. The team of designers and development consultants, led by David Ames of Amesco Inc. and Sam Foster of Tower Development, created a master plan, infrastructure design, and development guidelines for this 28 acre site on the historic Congaree River. The design includes quality open spaces, outdoor amenities, and mixed uses to include shops, office space, restaurants, an Inn, and housing for a diverse population. CanalSide is envisioned as “a neighborhood enriched with compelling and memorable designs, a built environment that inspires residents and makes them better citizens through their associations and pride of community.”

Architecture images: http://www.quackenbu...erplan/#cat=P/4

Edited by citylife

The City of Columbia, working with the River Alliance and other community groups, established its vision of the former state prison site as a high-quality, urban, water-focused neighborhood and an integral, active part of Columbia’s community of neighborhoods. The team of designers and development consultants, led by David Ames of Amesco Inc. and Sam Foster of Tower Development, created a master plan, infrastructure design, and development guidelines for this 28 acre site on the historic Congaree River. The design includes quality open spaces, outdoor amenities, and mixed uses to include shops, office space, restaurants, an Inn, and housing for a diverse population. CanalSide is envisioned as “a neighborhood enriched with compelling and memorable designs, a built environment that inspires residents and makes them better citizens through their associations and pride of community.”

Beautiful. ok i need to upgrade my website now on the canalside project.

thats amazing

That's old stuff. To me it looks better than what the Charleston-based Beach Company has done so far, not that I don't like what they've done as well. I'm just saying that I think the City of Columbia seemed to be on track to help create a beautiful urban space. Kudos to the City, IMO.

I don't see how this will work with the fountain that they already built unless they are planning on tearing it down or moving it... Am I missing something?

I was asking myself the same question.

Also the current buildings there already are they going to tear those down too after people have already moved in. i'm confuzzled O_o ?

But I do think the current plan is still to build two mid-rise buildings at the rear of the property, which would indeed block views of the Esplanade and the canal.

i think the midrises would be good but maybe at the front of the complex more towards columbia not at the back by the river. or maybe if they put them on the corners of the back of the complex.

If I lived there I personally would rather have a view of the skyline. Someone's view of something has to be blocked. The public can get a good view of the canal and river by hanging out on the esplanade. I would think rents and condo prices would vary partly because of the view from each. The vacant land fronting the esplanade on either side of the fountain is to be developed into buildings high enough to block the view of the river for apartment dwellers who I'm sure now have a view from the upper floors.

Edited by CorgiMatt

• 1 month later...
CanalSide is gearing up for phase II, which will add close to 200 more units to the development, bringing the total to 374 units. Three-bedroom town houses will be built along Taylor Street; they will be 1,350 square feet each. The expansion also will add studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments. Rents in the new parcels will be similar to the current offerings, ranging from $890 to $1,600 per month. The new units will be rentals.

• 4 months later...