CanalSide

JT Boy

21 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

I'm really excited that they're finally developing the piece between the existing lofts and the river. The Riverwalk is already well used, but doubling the number of people living directly on it will drastically increase its usage. I forgot to post this a few weeks ago, but Columbia is about to start construction on the Saluda Riverwalk early this year. With that hopefully finished by the end of the year, the entire system of rivers will be easily accessible the public. 

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article49908105.html

Agree on all points!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mpretori said:

Phase 3 looks awesome! They even wanna purchase more land and expand 

jkbzgx.gif 

WHAT D: they actually want to build a pedestrian Bridge over a road. I remember the Zoning office when i was having a meeting with them awhile back told me that Pedestrian bridges over Roads here in Columbia are the hardest thing to do because we have restrictions that limits us. Unlike Charlotte where they can build bridges left and right. they dont have restrictions.

11 hours ago, growingup15 said:

WHAT D: they actually want to build a pedestrian Bridge over a road. I remember the Zoning office when i was having a meeting with them awhile back told me that Pedestrian bridges over Roads here in Columbia are the hardest thing to do because we have restrictions that limits us. Unlike Charlotte where they can build bridges left and right. they dont have restrictions.

That's not a bridge. That's a sign above the road. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
23 hours ago, growingup15 said:

I took an Uber rider home at Canalside so i decided to take a quick few pictures before i got called for another ride.

34712236956_a6d99079e7_o.jpg

34752484715_004b994e6c_o.jpg 34620584431_1a538ef1f9_o.jpg 34620550561_00d5b5a902_o.jpg

How did you like what you saw? Making progress down there? I can't wait til the Kline site and the parcel beside it get moving. There will be a lot of density.

12 hours ago, victory said:

How did you like what you saw? Making progress down there? I can't wait til the Kline site and the parcel beside it get moving. There will be a lot of density.

I love it a lot. It's gonna be so dense down there in the next couple years. Canalside along with the Kline City Center and big box stores next to it all coming together. 

Next we just need the Riverfront to get started. The quicker the city get the Riverfront built things will really start talking off in Columbia because right now it's untapped land ready to bring in some serious development.

• 1 month later...

The Beach Company has released plans for Sola Station, the final phase of CanalSide. Plans for the $58 million project call for 339 multi-family rental units and 30,000 square feet of commercial space, according to the press release. Sola Station’s amenities include a fitness center, yoga studio, clubroom, pet spa, bike shop and dog park. The community also will feature a courtyard with saltwater pool, grills, cabanas, fire pits and hammocks as well as lounge seating and outdoor kitchens.

Construction on the project began in November and is scheduled to be completed in 2018.

A rendering of the new mixed-use community in downtown Columbia, Sola Station. (Photo/Provided)

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

So Canalside will be finished in 2018. The original transfer from SCDC to the city happened in like 1995. These mega projects take a lot of time, although I don't think any dirt was turned into the 2000s. It will be good to final see it finished. 

I know they patched it, but they still haven't fixed the gash in the canal on the other side of the bridge from CanalSide, have they? Until they do that, CanalSide will have to be the entry point for the 3 Rivers Greenway.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In some respects it was a lot longer than 10 years.  The city bought the land from SCDC in like 1994. It took years jsut to tear it down and get ti in a develoeprs hands. 

Is there much besides residential there? I know there are some offices but I don't remember that much of that.