CanalSide

JT Boy

CanalSide is useless now.  I think they messed up bad on what could have been a really nice urban community/district.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do you feel that it's useless now? I agree that the city did mess up in trying to develop it, but now that has been rectified (sort of), so I think the whole thing is still salvagable.

Guys, we had about 4 different Canalside threads floating around. I decided to merge them all plus the more recent posts in the Columbia Developments thread to here. Lets keep all posts concerning the development of Canalside here.

CanalSide is useless now.  I think they messed up bad on what could have been a really nice urban community/district.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RE: CanalSide...

I am actually okay with this... the idea of the retail being only things that would naturally be supported by the neighborhood. I don't mind that at all. I just hope the development is planned nicely and that the esplanade is easily accessible to everyone.

As I understand it, Canal Front/City Dock will have some shops and stuff. That could be the shopping/entertainment component of riverfront development in Columbia. And there are also big plans drawn up for commercial/entertainment component of the Canal Place neighborhood (down towards River Drive) -- it's just a matter of finding a developer that's willing to go along with the plans for the commercial/entertainment portion.  On a side note, the houses they've built in the first phase of Canal Place are some of the ugliest homes I think I've ever seen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do you feel that it's useless now? I agree that the city did mess up in trying to develop it, but now that has been rectified (sort of), so I think the whole thing is still salvagable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now, as for the plan to make Canalside more residential, I think this is a great idea. Think about this- 700 homes. Say you get an average of two per home, that means 1400 new citizens in downtown. Think of what that will do for the Vista! I imaging alot more restaurants and bars/clubs etc will want to locate. This may be the key to pulling development towards Huger.

I'm ready for Canalside to start. I wanted to buy a home in Canalside, but I got tired of waiting. Instead I bought a house in Earlewood Park....4 1/2 years ago! I'm disappointed about no Sax or Brooks Brothers, but 1400 or so new Vista residents will definitely spark new commercial development nearby. Keep your eyes open for development in the block bounded by Taylor, Hampton and Huger...there are a few old houses in that block and it is a PRIMO location! I understand someone has been trying to buy up all of the parcels in the block.

Thanks, Spartan! I like keeping it neat.

I agree that this is good news. As long as there are some neighborhood-support related business establishments in there that should be fine. I actually don't like the idea big-time shopping in CanalSide. I think, despite the various fumbles and missed opportunities, that it's going to be a great place to live and that it'll do wonders for urban life in the area.

I would love to see those new plans! I'm going to make a call to the Assistant City Manager about seeing the Canal Front/City Dock plans tomorrow, so maybe I'll ask about this also.

I'm ready for Canalside to start. I wanted to buy a home in Canalside, but I got tired of waiting. Instead I bought a house in Earlewood Park....4 1/2 years ago! I'm disappointed about no Sax or Brooks Brothers, but 1400 or so new Vista residents will definitely spark new commercial development nearby. Keep your eyes open for development in the block bounded by Taylor, Hampton and Huger...there are a few old houses in that block and it is a PRIMO location! I understand someone has been trying to buy up all of the parcels in the block.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I seem to recall hearing that block (the 4th side is what would also be Williams St, were the grid continued correctly) is being held up because a church has to be moved. Moving that type of thing is not something that you can just 'do.'

Thanks, Spartan! I like keeping it neat.

I think, despite the various fumbles and missed opportunities, that it's going to be a great place to live and that it'll do wonders for urban life in the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem :) I agree. The simple fact that it is not gated is its best feature ;)

I seem to recall hearing that block (the 4th side is what would also be Williams St, were the grid continued correctly) is being held up because a church has to be moved. Moving that type of thing is not something that you can just 'do.'

No problem :) I agree. The simple fact that it is not gated is its best feature ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ain't that the truth!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard the same thing. I actually priced that little white church a while back, just out of curiosity. It's going for $125,000 -- as is the vacant lot next to it. Then you've got two parcels where those two old homes are, and a parcel for that brick church along the back, and I think one other -- maybe two. I know the Columbia Development Corporation would like to snag that old white church building and stick it down in the Riverfront Park next to the little red schoolhouse, but I don't know if they're actively going after it.

I heard the same thing. I actually priced that little white church a while back, just out of curiosity. It's going for $125,000 -- as is the vacant lot next to it. Then you've got two parcels where those two old homes are, and a parcel for that brick church along the back, and I think one other -- maybe two. I know the Columbia Development Corporation would like to snag that old white church building and stick it down in the Riverfront Park next to the little red schoolhouse, but I don't know if they're actively going after it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any thoughts on what would be an awesome development for that block? A hotel? A little set of shops?

Not a hotel. What I would like to see is a mid sized office buliding on Huger with smaller mixed use retail shops with residential apartments above. They would be oriented towards Canalside. The key factor in that block is how they reroute Taylor. 3 lanes of one way traffic is intimidating. I have crossed the section of taylor at Huger where it is 5 lanes. Its not an easy thing to do at all.... They need to somehow accomodate pedestrians better in that area in general.

OK you guys, it's official: the city has confirmed the sale of the CanalSide site to the Beach Co. of Charleston for $6 million.

The first component of the development to go on sale is single-family lots.

The city withdrew a requirement that the developer include affordable housing in the plans. Instead, Coble said the city will use revenue from the sale to offer low-cost mortgages for housing in CanalSide and elsewhere in the city.

Speaking of an arts district, although the current vision of CanalSide is great, I also think that the riverfront property would have been cool for that too.

OK you guys, it's official: the city has confirmed the sale of the CanalSide site to the Beach Co. of Charleston for $6 million.

The first component of the development to go on sale is single-family lots.

The city withdrew a requirement that the developer include affordable housing in the plans. Instead, Coble said the city will use revenue from the sale to offer low-cost mortgages for housing in CanalSide and elsewhere in the city.

Speaking of an arts district, although the current vision of CanalSide is great, I also think that the riverfront property would have been cool for that too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great news! This is awesome. Let's hope Beach is up for the task! :) I was just down in the Charleston area and took a look at Seaside Farms, one of their other developments. I do think they could do a nice job with CanalSide.

Finally!!

Now that the property is finally out of the city's hands, maybe there will be some actual construction occuring, instead of political-mumbo-jumbo-gridlock-BS. I'm really glad The Beach Company ended up with this project instead of it being some Mungo-goes-urban project. They also did the ParkSide Condos (across Taylor St. from Findley Park).

We know that CanalSide won't be gated, as in being designed with an actual gate surrounding the development, but I hope that other features aren't built in which essentially make it a gated community. We already know that the development won't really have space devoted to "affordable housing," so that likelihood is conceivable (although I hope not).

I'm very hopeful for Canalside to be a spectacular development. I'm also pleased that there will be some density, with mid-rise condos on the canal. I'd rather see highrises, but with the Vista's height restrictions that would be impossible. 750 units should equate to an approximate population of 1500 in the development, quite a sizable number. I love seeing dense residential developments.

It is unfortunate that the units will not be affordable. There are so many upscale developments being built in Columbia. I don't know where all of these wealthy people come from. I make an above average salary, but I couldn't afford a 250-300K mortgage. The only thing I can figure out is that these are all dual income households who buy the maximum house that they qualify for. Any other thoughts?

It is unfortunate that the units will not be affordable. There are so many upscale developments being built in Columbia. I don't know where all of these wealthy people come from. I make an above average salary, but I couldn't afford a 250-300K mortgage. The only thing I can figure out is that these are all dual income households who buy the maximum house that they qualify for. Any other thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I often wonder the same thing here in Dallas. The high-dollar residential boom is just incredible. Apparently, the fairly new "interest only" mortgage is one answer to your question. I don't know exactly how it works, but people can pay only the interest portion of the mortgage for a certain time, say perhaps the first 2-5 years...something like that. I basically always come to the same conclusion...I have a lot more debt (credit card & student loan) than most and/or my income/debt ratio is just pathetic! :blink:

I often wonder the same thing here in Dallas. The high-dollar residential boom is just incredible. Apparently, the fairly new "interest only" mortgage is one answer to your question. I don't know exactly how it works, but people can pay only the interest portion of the mortgage for a certain time, say perhaps the first 2-5 years...something like that. I basically always come to the same conclusion...I have a lot more debt (credit card & student loan) than most and/or my income/debt ratio is just pathetic!    :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watching the boom in intown Atlanta, I think a lot of it is indeed the interest only mortgages. I saw a figure that around half of all new mortgages in Georgia now are interest only, and much of that is probably in metro Atlanta. You also have people moving in from other regions of the country where housing has been higher for longer. To them, these prices in many cases seem low since they are used to higher prices. Beyond those forces, I am baffled by it as well. I wonder if it sustainable.

As a banker I strongly discourage people getting the interest-only mortgage. It's not bad while real estate prices are climbing by leaps and bounds, but how many of you believe that this will last for much longer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does seem like nothing more than a tool for speculation. If you are only paying interest, then you must be betting that the price will appreciate and you can make some profit that way. It seems way too hokey to last.

^LOL, great question Spartan. I really don't plan on buying my first house (whether it be townhouse, loft, or condo) until maybe around 5 years into the future (gotta get school out of the way first), and I have no idea what the starting salary will be for my new job. Why can't we at least have the option of getting something new AND lowscale, yet really nice? And I really don't want to live in the suburbs. Urban living needs to become more affordable for "regular" folks, if you ask me. I really hope the Bull Street project doesn't go the same route.

There are some relatively affordable new housing developments in the Earlewood Park vicinity. It isn't downtown, but its close.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

very true. I just graduated in may, and am buying my first house in Laurel Hill (Earlewood). I wanted to live near downtown, and while an older house appealed to me, I just don't have the time nor the money to deal with the maintenance issues. I found a house thats 5 years old on a beautiful sloped lot right in my price range. Its pretty much new, so it shouldn't have any problems, plus its hardwood/ceramic tile/berber carpets, and vinyl siding so its very low maintenance. The city also has a great loan program for first time homebuyers within the city limits. They're really trying to clean up some of the areas (earlewood, etc). I got a loan for 100% of the purchase price (less a $2000 dp) at less than 4.875% fixed for 30 years. Best of all its a nice part of town and only a mile and a half from my office. I close this friday...can't wait. :w00t: