CanalSide

JT Boy

Thanks guys, a friend referred me to this forum, and after lurking around for a while I decided to finally register and start posting. I'm from Spartanburg but have been living here in Cola for 4 years now, and have been eagerly following the development/redevelopment of both cities.

Thanks guys, a friend referred me to this forum, and after lurking around for a while I decided to finally register and start posting.  I'm from Spartanburg but have been living here in Cola for 4 years now, and have been eagerly following the development/redevelopment of both cities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum Matt, and congrats on the house. You should tell your friend to sign up too :)

Welcome to the forum Matt, and congrats on the house. You should tell your friend to sign up too :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's on here, i think his user name is JW2.

Side note...where in Spartanburg are you from? I graduated SHS 2001. Parents still live in Hillbrook.

Lookin good.  Can't wait to see how this proceeds.  I'm glad the city didn't require the developer to put in "low priced housing".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have mixed feelings about the lower cost housing. It is necessary for people of all income levels to have access to housing in the central city, although this doesn't necessarily have to be in every single development. They could have incorporated some small studio-type condos that would have been accessibly affordable to younger people and retirees. One good thing about upscale developments, though, is that they attract upscale shops and boy do I love to shop. :)

I have mixed feelings about the lower cost housing. It is necessary for people of all income levels to have access to housing in the central city, although this doesn't necessarily have to be in every single development. They could have incorporated some small studio-type condos that would have been accessibly affordable to younger people and retirees. One good thing about upscale developments, though, is that they attract upscale shops and boy do I love to shop. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the record, I have no problem with lower cost housing. What I have a huge problem with would have been if the city had forced the developers to include it. Its like saying that people have a right to live in developments that they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford, and ultimately it hurts everyone in the process. I'm glad they came to their senses about the whole thing and decided to earmark the "extra" funds received from The Beach Co. toward mortgage assistance. They shouldn't have to compromise such an important part of downtown, the higher property values create a higher tax base which benefits everyone.

Plus you're right, the upscale shopping will help cement downtown Columbia as the "place to be". :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have any information on when the development for the Canal Side is suppose to start?

They're still in a due diligence phase, I think, but right now they have the dark orange zoning signs down there to go before the city in November; I think that color has to do with issues such as height and placement of buildings on lots, etc. I'm pretty sure they are presently in a 90-day phase that would allow them to back out if something insurmountable turned up in development of the property, which is not expected to occur. After the 90 days are up, I think there will be another period of time that has to do with getting their act together to do the development - something like that - sorry I can't be more exact, but long story short is it will be a while longer but should most definitely happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a major thoroughfare to the south so it would be difficult to have easy connectivity there without a pedestrian bridge (which is already there, but they want to remove(. I think as long as it has easy access to the river on the west side and the vista amenities on the east side it will do well.