CanalSide

JT Boy

I'm going to be looking for a new house within the next year or so...anyone have any idea whether there will be affordable places to live in CanalSide? And by affordable I mean less than $175,000. I would love to seriously look there, but I'm guessing it will be rediculously expensive like most of the new areas downtown.

I'm going to be looking for a new house within the next year or so...anyone have any idea whether there will be affordable places to live in CanalSide? And by affordable I mean less than $175,000. I would love to seriously look there, but I'm guessing it will be rediculously expensive like most of the new areas downtown.

They might squeak in with something around 175K, but they probably won't be too plentiful.

My heart is singing halleluhah, halleluhah (sp, sp). That looks so good I am bursting forth with joy!!!!!!!! And I love it that they are going to build right up to Jarvis Clapman on the corner of the property.

hilarious! yeah dude.. it's about time! :) i'm going by the sales office next week to scope it out.

hilarious! yeah dude.. it's about time! :) i'm going by the sales office next week to scope it out.

I was riding up Lady Street this morning to check out the progress. The other day the door to the future American Apparel (formerly Pro Bowl Motors) was open and some people were going in and out of the building. Also, there's a banner on the former Meritage building that says Columbia is soon going to get wild - Wild Wings. But my main reason for this post is that this morning I just happened to notice a painting of a building in the window of the former Vortex store. I got out and looked more closely and apparently Canalside's current headquarters is in there because they have paintings all over the place in there that you can see from outside if you hold yours hands on either side of your eyes and put your face up to the window. They're the same pictures as the ones on the website. Lady Street, btw, is really coming along. Also, for anyone who missed it, I read a couple of weeks ago that the house that sits at Lady and Gadsden is going to be a man's business of some sort and that the little cement block building that sits out on the corner is going to be a walk-up coffee stand.

I was riding up Lady Street this morning to check out the progress. The other day the door to the future American Apparel (formerly Pro Bowl Motors) was open and some people were going in and out of the building. Also, there's a banner on the former Meritage building that says Columbia is soon going to get wild - Wild Wings. But my main reason for this post is that this morning I just happened to notice a painting of a building in the window of the former Vortex store. I got out and looked more closely and apparently Canalside's current headquarters is in there because they have paintings all over the place in there that you can see from outside if you hold yours hands on either side of your eyes and put your face up to the window. They're the same pictures as the ones on the website. Lady Street, btw, is really coming along. Also, for anyone who missed it, I read a couple of weeks ago that the house that sits at Lady and Gadsden is going to be a man's business of some sort and that the little cement block building that sits out on the corner is going to be a walk-up coffee stand.

I wonder what will become of Hiller Hardware on Lady St that recently closed?

its exciting that CanalSide may actually start this year. I'll believe it when I see it though ;)

I wonder what will become of Hiller Hardware on Lady St that recently closed?

its exciting that CanalSide may actually start this year. I'll believe it when I see it though ;)

Ben Arnold is buying the Hiller Hardware building (done deal - Hiller owner Mr. Hampton even smiled big when telling The State that he did well on the sale. Ben Arnold is refitting it into multi-tenant retail.

Canalside just hired a sales coordinator. She sent an email about it to a group that I'm a part of. The closing is supposed to happen any day now, according to an article by Temple Ligon of the Columbia Star, who never errs on the side of optimism, and as soon as the closing takes place it's like they'll leave the attorney's office and go crank up the bulldozers. Maybe not literally, but.....

You may want to check out Earlewood/Laurel Hill/Canal Place area. I bought a house there last year for much less than your budget, and its 3br/2ba, great condition and less than a mile and a half to my office on main st. downtown. Its definitely and up-and-coming area.

You may want to check out Earlewood/Laurel Hill/Canal Place area. I bought a house there last year for much less than your budget, and its 3br/2ba, great condition and less than a mile and a half to my office on main st. downtown. Its definitely and up-and-coming area.

That is my area, too, and it's a great place to live.

Well I am confused. Is it all condos? While I like to see development (responsible development), I would like to see more centers where people can get together on weekends and evenings with restaurants, retail, bars, parks. We need a nice riverfront nightspot like some of the bigger cities have. Of course our river is more like a big stream since no boats can traverse it. The ones I have seen in Florida are accessible by boat and are really cool for family activities, nightlife, shopping, something for everybody. That's what we need, IMO. Not just more living space for the rich.

:cry:

Well I am confused. Is it all condos? While I like to see development (responsible development), I would like to see more centers where people can get together on weekends and evenings with restaurants, retail, bars, parks. We need a nice riverfront nightspot like some of the bigger cities have. Of course our river is more like a big stream since no boats can traverse it. The ones I have seen in Florida are accessible by boat and are really cool for family activities, nightlife, shopping, something for everybody. That's what we need, IMO. Not just more living space for the rich.

I'm with you on that!

Wouldn

I thought the Canalside project was a go. :shok:

It IS a go...I don't know what they're talking about. Someone said that we missed our chance at having things that draw people to the river. NO idea what that means. CanalSide IS supposed to have coffee shops, restaurants, small shops, etc right on the river. On their website, there is a section for people that are interested in "commercial/retail" opportunities. And it's NOT just condos, as someone else asked. There will also be single family houses, townhouses, etc.

Here is the site. www.canalsidecolumbia.com

It IS a go...I don't know what they're talking about. Someone said that we missed our chance at having things that draw people to the river. NO idea what that means. CanalSide IS supposed to have coffee shops, restaurants, small shops, etc right on the river. On their website, there is a section for people that are interested in "commercial/retail" opportunities. And it's NOT just condos, as someone else asked. There will also be single family houses, townhouses, etc.

Here is the site. www.canalsidecolumbia.com

Thanks Bry, I'm relieved. :)

I think it still is, just that there are no public facilities to it. So unless you live there, you have no benefit from it. I want more places to go in this city!

There will definitely be public access. Canalside is not going to be a gated community; the Esplanade will be adjacent and there will be ground floor retail in the condos there. There are also plans to have pushcart vendors on the Esplanade.

I think he meant that the commercial elements are not as significant as the were originally designed to be.

That's right, Spartan, that's what I meant. Sorry, didn't mean to startle anyone! :blush:

I would've liked Canalside to have become a public area with a park, an amphitheatre, perhaps an aquarium, open air market, several big and small restaurants, shops, and other public attractions with a few lofts and condos mixed in. (Lots of places to sit outside with a llibation--the Esplanade won't allow such--it's a thoroughfare, and the rendering only has 2 measly tables!) Something like Baltimore, Norfolk, Providence, San Diego, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, San Antonio, and countless other cities have along their rivers, harbors, bays, or other waterfronts. Even our sister city to the south, Augusta, has some of these amenities (amphitheatre, park, museum, shops) along its riverfront.

Oh well, it will be a VAST improvement over what

That's right, Spartan, that's what I meant. Sorry, didn't mean to startle anyone! :blush:

I would've liked Canalside to have become a public area with a park, an amphitheatre, perhaps an aquarium, open air market, several big and small restaurants, shops, and other public attractions with a few lofts and condos mixed in. (Lots of places to sit outside with a llibation--the Esplanade won't allow such--it's a thoroughfare, and the rendering only has 2 measly tables!) Something like Baltimore, Norfolk, Providence, San Diego, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, San Antonio, and countless other cities have along their rivers, harbors, bays, or other waterfronts. Even our sister city to the south, Augusta, has some of these amenities (amphitheatre, park, museum, shops) along its riverfront.

Oh well, it will be a VAST improvement over what

Edited by waccamatt

There is an Amphitheatre in Riverfront Park. It isn't widely used, but there is a small one, which could seat a couple of hundred people. With Riverfront Park next door I don't really see why Canalside should be a park or have significant park-like elements. I do wish it would have more retail, but it will still have some. As I mentioned earlier, if you bring in more residences the rest will follow. You have to have an egg before you can have a chicken and you have to have a chicken before you can have an egg.

Hey, Waccamatt, I appreciate what you