CanalSide

JT Boy

There is a small amphitheatre next to the water works. It seats maybe 200-300 people.

Yep...waccamatt is right. There is a small amphitheatre in the park. It's actually pretty cool looking, but I've never seen it used. And digital mentioned that there were no grassy areas along the river...but there are. (I assume it's the "field" you were talking about) It's a nice grassy area right along the water. I went running at that park a few weeks ago, an there were lots of people on the grass doing various stuff. Some reading, some guys throwing frisbees with their dogs, and what looked like a school group playing some kind of game where you try to knock down these little blocks. (how European) :) I went all the way to the end of the trail, and the ONLY thing I noticed that I didn't like was all the power lines. You can't always see them, as the trail is a few miles. But you sure do notice LOTS of them. And after about a mile and a half you can go off of the main path and walk down these steps to a trail that's right by the river. It's very cool actually. Like a nature walk. So I think it's a great park...but hopefully only the beginning of riverfront activity.

• 2 weeks later...

The fence along Jarvis Klapman Blvd at Canalside is now down. A small bulldozer is on the property. Here we go.

I pass by there everyday on the way home...so I'm going to enjoy seeing this happen. They cut all of the tall grass (weeds) down a few days ago, then removed the fence. Gonna be exciting.

It has been almost 20 years since talk began of closing CCI and building an urban development there. I have been waiting for this since I *cough* graduated from USC. I can't believe it is finally coming to fruition. I can't wait!

Apparently a lot of people can't wait. Their sales headquarters/showroom in the Dupree Building on Gervais Street was packed last night at Artista Vista.

Apparently a lot of people can't wait. Their sales headquarters/showroom in the Dupree Building on Gervais Street was packed last night at Artista Vista.

I can't believe I forgot Artista Vista was last night. There was so much going in town today: Urban Access, Artista Vista, concert at the Colonial Center, a concert on Main in front of Macs, the Crawfish Festival in Rosewood, etc.

I can't believe I forgot Artista Vista was last night. There was so much going in town today: Urban Access, Artista Vista, concert at the Colonial Center, a concert on Main in front of Macs, the Crawfish Festival in Rosewood, etc.

Don't forget Bark to the Park. The dogs just kept coming and coming and coming. I've never seen so many outside of a dog show, and maybe not even then.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly encourage everyone to go to the Canalside sales headquarters at the Dupree Building on Gervais and watch their video from the sidewalk, best viewed at night. It has great footage of downtown Columbia and some good skyline shots as well. It's their ad about a new way of living in Columbia.

It's for the official groundbreaking ceremony. Not sure exactly when it will be... anyone?

I haven't heard, but they must have put the tent up this morning because it wasn't there on my way to work this morning. I was just thinking that we were in danger of getting out of May with no sign of any further development. ........ Whew!

OK, somebody needs to be out there today with a camera when CanalSide, after a decade of delays, finally breaks ground. The article in The State also gives more details about the development, including some I didn't know about, such as two eight-story condos fronting the canal and the extension of Taylor Street to form a wide boulevard through the new neighborhood.

Streets and infrastructure will be constructed for the next few months, with buildings starting to go up this fall.

The first phase of construction is to be completed in three or four years. It would include:

OK, somebody needs to be out there today with a camera when CanalSide, after a decade of delays, finally breaks ground. The article in The State also gives more details about the development, including some I didn't know about, such as two eight-story condos fronting the canal and the extension of Taylor Street to form a wide boulevard through the new neighborhood.

Streets and infrastructure will be constructed for the next few months, with buildings starting to go up this fall.

The first phase of construction is to be completed in three or four years. It would include:

I highly encourage everyone to go to the Canalside sales headquarters at the Dupree Building on Gervais and watch their video from the sidewalk, best viewed at night. It has great footage of downtown Columbia and some good skyline shots as well. It's their ad about a new way of living in Columbia.

Here's a link to the video (click the "CanalSide ad" link)

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/...on/14588377.htm

Edited by digihoop

The entire development could be completed within 10 years. The time frame is the only disappointment I have with this project. Otherwise, it sounds pretty good to me. ;)

I'm sure that timetable will be shortened significantly if sales are brisk. They are simply hedging their bets.

This article talks about the need for CanalSide to be connected to the rest of the city. Huger is going to be a barrier, as well as Jarvis Klapman. Within the development itself, all will be well. But Huger is eventually going to have to get narrowed, not just in connection with this project, but with others as well, most notably the Kline Steel site development and Innovista. I'm glad Assembly was mentioned as well, as it is the ultimate linchpin in giving downtown the connectivity it needs, IMO.

This article talks about the need for CanalSide to be connected to the rest of the city. Huger is going to be a barrier, as well as Jarvis Klapman. Within the development itself, all will be well. But Huger is eventually going to have to get narrowed, not just in connection with this project, but with others as well, most notably the Kline Steel site development and Innovista. I'm glad Assembly was mentioned as well, as it is the ultimate linchpin in giving downtown the connectivity it needs, IMO.

I don't think narrowing Huger is practical. It's too highly used. I would like for it to be narrowed, along with Assembly, to make them more pedestrian friendly, but it would just cause worse traffic than there already is. All that can be done feasibly, is to build wide sidewalks, and make some nice pedestrian crossings (maybe brick) that would keep people from being afraid to cross the road.