CanalSide

JT Boy

Would landscaped medians (ala Bull, Assembly) be feasible?

I think a lot could be done just by distinctly marking the pedestrian crosswalks and providing plenty of room on the medians for those who don't walk as fast as I do, so that if they can't make it across they have plenty of room with everyone else who doesn't make it across to stand and wait until they get another walk signal so they can walk across the second half of the street. Also there's no reason officials can't make the red lights last long enough for the average person to make it all the way across easily. I really do think with proper marking, though, that psychologically everyone would give it a rest with this streets too wide thing. They don't phase me, and I love looking to my right or left when I'm driving through an intersection at the broad boulevards throughout Columbia. To me they give the city a unique and graceful vibe that I rather like.

Huger isn't as bad as Assembly. I think Assembly is entirely TOO wide to be such an important downtown boulevard--waaaaayyyy too intimidating from a pedestrian's point of view.

I agree...and me and my co workers sometimes cross Assembly to go to lunch in the vista. The "walk/don't walk" signs should say "RUN" because before you even get half way across the street, it already says "don't walk".

I agree...and me and my co workers sometimes cross Assembly to go to lunch in the vista. The "walk/don't walk" signs should say "RUN" because before you even get half way across the street, it already says "don't walk".

That should definitely be adjusted, but I have never had problems. The width of Assembly reminds me of 5th Avenue in New York.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone care to do some brainstorming about CanalSide? Pricing will be announced soon and I'm sure there will be some commercial and live/work space in the first phase. I was just thinking tonight about what type of businesses should be introduced to the neighborhood during the early stage. People moving in there are going to want to be able to walk to stores to pick up everyday supplies and food and stuff, and it isn't really feasible for them to walk to the Publix -- despite it being so close, something is going to have to be done about Huger before people will feel better about crossing that street. Will there be enough people to support a small market or a general store type of business? What about a small cafe or coffeeshop? A bakery or deli? An art gallery and a bookstore would be nice too, but I don't think those are safe bets when it comes to making a profit -- and while they would enhance the quality of life, I'm thinking about things that would make the neighborhood more sustainable.

Edited by emerging.me

Well, I know the original amount of retail space in the development was decreased, so I think I'd only see something like a small market and perhaps a cafe/coffeshop, and dry cleaners.

I've made the same comments about Huger; it's not feasible to narrow it, as has been pointed out, but it will have to become more pedestrian friendly. At present, CanalSide will kinda be out there on its own, so the better the connectivity to the rest of the Vista, the better. Infrastructural improvements will be the first thing to be handled in the development.

• 4 weeks later...

I drive by CanalSide twice a day on the way to and from work, and noticed today they had a tractor out there cutting the grass. So just MAYBE this is the first step to FINALLY getting this going. I thought when they did the "groundbreaking" a while back that finally it would start, but apparently that was just used as an excuse to have a party under a tent on an empty lot. I'm a little surprised that not even a spoonful of dirt has been moved.

I drive by CanalSide twice a day on the way to and from work, and noticed today they had a tractor out there cutting the grass. So just MAYBE this is the first step to FINALLY getting this going. I thought when they did the "groundbreaking" a while back that finally it would start, but apparently that was just used as an excuse to have a party under a tent on an empty lot. I'm a little surprised that not even a spoonful of dirt has been moved.

I overheard the sales director saying some grading will start soon.

Got this message today.

CanalSide Releases Information Regarding Initial Product Offering

The pulse of downtown Columbia is quickening.

That's because plans for the initial CanalSide property release of custom homesites are now finalized.

If your interest has been sparked by the uniqueness of this new way to live in Columbia, please respond to this letter and we'll gladly reserve a homesite property release information package for pick-up beginning 8:00am on July 27th. The package will include comprehensive details on all the property scheduled for release, our distinctive site plan, pricing, and other specifics that will further justify the buzz and excitement CanalSide is generating.

Additionally, construction will soon commence on townhomes, condominiums and loft apartments unlike anything else Columbia has to offer. Initial drawings for these offerings will also be available at our Vista Information Center beginning this Thursday.

Before long, a new, modern, sophisticated and ultra-convenient community will exist in Columbia. Don't miss your chance to get there early. Again, information packages will be available beginning 8:00am on Thursday, July 27. Those who indicate interest after reviewing this information will then receive a package via mail that includes a reservation agreement, neighborhood covenants and additional program specifics.

I WONDER WHAT THE STARTING PRICES ARE? I BET THEY ARE GOING TO ASK FOR A PRETTY PENNY

Got this message today.

CanalSide Releases Information Regarding Initial Product Offering

The pulse of downtown Columbia is quickening.

That's because plans for the initial CanalSide property release of custom homesites are now finalized.

If your interest has been sparked by the uniqueness of this new way to live in Columbia, please respond to this letter and we'll gladly reserve a homesite property release information package for pick-up beginning 8:00am on July 27th. The package will include comprehensive details on all the property scheduled for release, our distinctive site plan, pricing, and other specifics that will further justify the buzz and excitement CanalSide is generating.

Additionally, construction will soon commence on townhomes, condominiums and loft apartments unlike anything else Columbia has to offer. Initial drawings for these offerings will also be available at our Vista Information Center beginning this Thursday.

Before long, a new, modern, sophisticated and ultra-convenient community will exist in Columbia. Don't miss your chance to get there early. Again, information packages will be available beginning 8:00am on Thursday, July 27. Those who indicate interest after reviewing this information will then receive a package via mail that includes a reservation agreement, neighborhood covenants and additional program specifics.

I WONDER WHAT THE STARTING PRICES ARE? I BET THEY ARE GOING TO ASK FOR A PRETTY PENNY

Nice! I noticed that. Did you reserve your info packet? :) I'm gonna get one.

Here's an article from thestate.com with some pricing info: http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/...on/15131901.htm

The article states that .1 acre lots are listed at $185k - $200k. I guess the total price being at least twice that with a house built on the lot.

It also seems like they have changed the order that they are making lots for houses available first. Condos will be coming later.

Looked at the project rendering in The State this morning and this seems like it will a nice project, but was dismayed to see how much of the property was given over to surface parking lots. I don't understand why they couldn't have done at least some parking decks, or build parking directly into the townhouses if they felt it was necessary to have parking at each unit. Surface parking lots just drive me bananas they are such a horrid waste of space in an urban environment. The developers talk about creating a new neighborhood, but I don't know of any "real" neighborhoods that have big parking lots in the middle of them...

Also noted the comment about the expensive unbuilt lots across the river in WeCo. My brother was friends with the developer, Wade Caughman, when we were growing up, but I have to say I don't have a lot of faith in his development acumen, especially after the disastrous clearcutting of the Riverwalk woods that kicked off construction on this development, and the fact that this is supposed to be a gated community.

Looked at the project rendering in The State this morning and this seems like it will a nice project, but was dismayed to see how much of the property was given over to surface parking lots. I don't understand why they couldn't have done at least some parking decks, or build parking directly into the townhouses if they felt it was necessary to have parking at each unit. Surface parking lots just drive me bananas they are such a horrid waste of space in an urban environment. The developers talk about creating a new neighborhood, but I don't know of any "real" neighborhoods that have big parking lots in the middle of them...

Also noted the comment about the expensive unbuilt lots across the river in WeCo. My brother was friends with the developer, Wade Caughman, when we were growing up, but I have to say I don't have a lot of faith in his development acumen, especially after the disastrous clearcutting of the Riverwalk woods that kicked off construction on this development, and the fact that this is supposed to be a gated community.

JT...wonder if I know your brother. I went to high school with Wade Caughman at Airport.

dismayed to see how much of the property was given over to surface parking lots. I don't understand why they couldn't have done at least some parking decks, or build parking directly into the townhouses if they felt it was necessary to have parking at each unit. Surface parking lots just drive me bananas they are such a horrid waste of space in an urban environment. The developers talk about creating a new neighborhood, but I don't know of any "real" neighborhoods that have big parking lots in the middle of them...

I have to agree with you on this one I prefer parking decks. Parking lots are a waste of urban space.

Bummer that the 8 story condos will be put along the river, blocking the views from the rest of the community. You would think you would go higher as you went back into the development more.

true. also i wish there were more retail. with it being a gated community will the retail be open to the public?

I agree. No other units will have views of the riverfront. They should keep those low rises and build like stadium seeting with either height of buildings or elevations.

Bummer that the 8 story condos will be put along the river, blocking the views from the rest of the community. You would think you would go higher as you went back into the development more.