MORTON HOUSE

walker

To be redeveloped as another hotel, or office space for their company?

Joe

The City Flats owners are just a handful of people. I can't see them needing 11 or 12 stories of office space.

They were probably just at the place at the right time, and also probably wanted that corner cleaned up to make their Fox Hotel more desirable.

Hard to go wrong with a meal at Jake's, huh?

What I though was brilliant about this project was the tie-in with the concert hall. Granted, their both under the same corporate umbrella, but that's one thing I guess I don't see a lot around here are tie-in's and synergies baked in the cake of doing a project. Everyone's acting as a freelancer, if there's any complimentary development, it seems to occur by happenstance.

Case in point, while there's been parallel development up where all the hospitals are, I'm really surprised restaurants, lodging and all the other things that go along with having hundreds of workers and thousands of visitors gravitate to a particular district not being brought into the fold early on and integral to the whole. Seems odd.

There's actually a big "mall-style" food court going in on medical mile.

There's actually a big "mall-style" food court going in on medical mile.

where? i've been all over there and havent' seen it. unless it's in the cancer center or the two new office buildings next to it. it isn't at butterworth, or HDVCH.

HDVCH does have really good pizza and ice cream though.

and blodgetts food is :sick:

where? i've been all over there and havent' seen it. unless it's in the cancer center or the two new office buildings next to it. it isn't at butterworth, or HDVCH.

HDVCH does have really good pizza and ice cream though.

and blodgetts food is :sick:

It's in the process of being built.

• 3 months later...

Anyone know what the BCBS subsidiary is? Are these new jobs being brought to GR, or offices being moved from the suburbs. It'll be great to see more activity on that corner and the building renovated.

I know that at one time, Diversions was looking to move into that space. I thought they were buying the first floor space. Is this still in the works?

Joe

Anyone know what the BCBS subsidiary is? Are these new jobs being brought to GR, or offices being moved from the suburbs. It'll be great to see more activity on that corner and the building renovated.

I know that at one time, Diversions was looking to move into that space. I thought they were buying the first floor space. Is this still in the works?

Joe

Blue Care Network has offices in Cascade.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Morton Party Store will close at the end of this year.

http://www.mlive.com...apids_conv.html

I've never been inside the place as it looked uninviting but I did not know that Morton Party Store has never sold alcohol. I always thought Party Store means a place that sells beer.

Edit: The place is called Morton Party Shop, not Party Store. Maybe "Shop" makes the difference from "Party Store".

Edited by Gorath

Even though I despised the ghetto look of that place, the owners seem like really nice people with a good heart.

The space seems too small for much. Wonder what it was before the party store.

I currently live on Jeju Island in South Korea. Its a small island with a population of 600,000. You would be amazed at how they utilize every square inch of a space. In the entertainment districts, where space is especially limited, there are on-street "shops" that are literally a closet that vendors shop out of... its pretty amazing.. maybe if I get a litle less lazy ill take some pics and post'em

The space seems too small for much. Wonder what it was before the party store.

For years it was a clothing store, the Morton Mens Shop. The space seems too small for a clothing store too. Maybe we've become too used to big box stores as the norm.

Edited by walker

I gotta say that DT can definitely support a smaller sized grocery type store. I think a smaller Meijer/D&W is outside the scope of the next 5 years. I still think that the 2 East Fulton site is ideal for a Trader Joe's. Its a good location, adds some brand cache to GR. While I'd love to see a smaller sized D&W or Meijer there - I think its a great spot for someone.