New downtown park

brad0022

I went to the Idea Factory hosted by the department of development. Chad Emerson announced a new park in the parking lot of the Embassy Suites. It will be a five year incremental project which will convert all the asphalt to green space a little at a time so the city will still be able to collect revenue for parking. The MPAC needs a new ticket box office so that is planned from the start to be placed on the new green space. The goal is to create a simple, central park. Nothing complex. He compared it to Bryant Park in NYC.

http://www.montgomer...{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}Frontpage

"A Downtown Farmers Market will open for the first time today at the site of the future park. The market is part of Fresh Friday and will be open from 4 to 6 p.m. Fridays in May and June."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the Idea Factory hosted by the department of development. Chad Emerson announced a new park in the parking lot of the Embassy Suites. It will be a five year incremental project which will convert all the asphalt to green space a little at a time so the city will still be able to collect revenue for parking. The MPAC needs a new ticket box office so that is planned from the start to be placed on the new green space. The goal is to create a simple, central park. Nothing complex. He compared it to Bryant Park in NYC.

http://www.montgomer...{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}Frontpage

This new park space (marked by arrow below) is part of the downtown master plan and will eventually replace an unsightly parking lot. With the Renaissance Hotel, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, loft apts., the Alley, the riverfront, Riverwalk Stadium and office workers all within a block or two, this park should be a successful public space.

I have mixed feelings about it though. Infill buildings along that block of Commerce would make a nice addition to the area as well.

Riverfront_master.jpg

Oh okay, that's a decently-sized lot. I know it was said that they're going for something simple, but I think this new park should take a few cues from the fairly new Center City Park in Greensboro, NC which is about the size of a city block (just a little larger than this site, it appears):

549862892_2005d4d326_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oh okay, that's a decently-sized lot. I know it was said that they're going for something simple, but I think this new park should take a few cues from the fairly new Center City Park in Greensboro, NC which is about the size of a city block (just a little larger than this site, it appears):

549862892_2005d4d326_z.jpg

That's a nice-looking square. Hopefully over time the new park here will evolve into a well-planned public space with interesting amenities and programmed activities.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Center City Park is a pretty active space. I also hope the planned park in Montgomery won't be extremely passive in nature but encourage some active uses.

I hope not either but by the way Chad Emerson, Development Coordinator, that was more or less what he was hinting at. He mentioned Bryant Park in NYC. I have not been to Bryant Park but that's more or less what he wanted to compare it to.

• 2 years later...

Archived