New large-scale "liner" development proposed for Belknap area

GRDadof3

I was just going to post today that I felt like a couple of big projects were on the verge of being announced, but I didn't know about this one.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/05/medical_mile_development_begin.html

The "liner" description being that it would be built similar to 38 Commerce.

"Unnamed higher ed client", Ferris Pharmacy program?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess Ferris is the only plausible guess, since there haven't been any other college expansions, that I know of, still looking for a home. I was expecting them to find space in an existing building rather than build anew, but then again, why wouldn't they want to build? If MSU and GVSU get to have shiny new buildings with huge signage overlooking the freeway, why shouldn't Ferris?

On the other hand, since the developer is intent on keeping the college under wraps, I wonder if it'll be for a different program yet to be announced.

thumbsup.gif

The Hastings/Coit development will complement nicely. I hope these are signs of development in Belknap getting more plentiful and frequent. Neighborhood Master Plan notwithstanding, someday I would love to drive down I-196 and see giant buildings lining both sides.

I guess Ferris is the only plausible guess, since there haven't been any other college expansions, that I know of, still looking for a home. I was expecting them to find space in an existing building rather than build anew, but then again, why wouldn't they want to build? If MSU and GVSU get to have shiny new buildings with huge signage overlooking the freeway, why shouldn't Ferris?

On the other hand, since the developer is intent on keeping the college under wraps, I wonder if it'll be for a different program yet to be announced.

thumbsup.gif

The Hastings/Coit development will complement nicely. I hope these are signs of development in Belknap getting more plentiful and frequent. Neighborhood Master Plan notwithstanding, someday I would love to drive down I-196 and see giant buildings lining both sides.

There's mention of "lab" space in the article. And the Ferris pharmacy program talk started up and then quickly went hush. I agree, Ferris is trying to grow their presence here in Grand Rapids in a big way, with the additions to Kendall in the old Art Museum. They're even working with The Rapid to provide shuttle buses from Big Rapids to Grand Rapids every morning and evening!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It also kind of sounds like they are going to start over from a design perspective. I wonder if this building was originally planned to woo someone else?

Joe

I doubt it. They were probably just given some basic guidelines to present to the neighborhood: higher ed, health sciences, parking ramp, etc..

I'm wondering why they didn't look at the land across Michigan Street:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=michigan+street+and+lafayette,+grand+rapids,+mi&hl=en&ll=42.96969,-85.661227&spn=0.001521,0.002411&hnear=Michigan+St+NE+%26+Lafayette+Ave+NE,+Grand+Rapids,+Kent,+Michigan+49503&gl=us&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6

Archived