Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spenser1058

Odds & Ends

4 posts in this topic

Today, I saw one of the parking meters for the homeless downtown for the first time! It's on E. Washington St. beside the 7-Eleven. It has a plastic covering around the top with a little blurb of why you should insert change. Quite colorful for a meter.

The Belk department store is closing at The Loop in Kissimmee. It is, I think , the last Belk's in the MSA except for a store (maybe two?) over in Lake County. I don't know if this is just a symptom of retail generally, but it's interesting to note that Orlando, which used to have several mid-level department stores (BelkLindsey, Jordan Marsh, Burdines, Ivey's Robinson's, Jacobson's), is now down to just macy's and Dillard's in that segment.

Given how long it took to get upscale retail here, I found it interesting that, upon the return of Belk (they left for several years and then made a reappearance after Parisian closed), they once again found the market less than conducive to their price point/service level.

Roger Moore reports in the Sentinel that the second-run movie theater at Colonial Promenade has closed. He was unsure if it was temporary or not, but if it isn't, it leaves another gaping hole in that increasingly blighted section of E. Colonial Drive. There aren't many $1 movie houses left, either.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_movies_blog/

Roger Moore reports in the Sentinel that the second-run movie theater at Colonial Promenade has closed. He was unsure if it was temporary or not, but if it isn't, it leaves another gaping hole in that increasingly blighted section of E. Colonial Drive. There aren't many $1 movie houses left, either.

I love that theater! I hope it's just temporary, especially since it's the only one left in Orlando. $1 Tuesdays and $2.50 the rest of the week - can't beat that.