Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jice

M Street Road Closure

3 posts in this topic

M Street (McGavock Street between 11th & 12th, for those unaware) is pretty much closed most nights apparently due to valet parking for Virago, Whiskey Kitchen, and Kayne Prime.

As far as I can tell, this does not seem to be a public works road closure.. but more like the owner of the restaurants (and/or valet company) take it upon themselves to put up custom signs stating 'no parking' and 'do not enter' in the street. I have also noticed a couple times where a vehicle is parked in the middle of the road, blocking cars from entering the lane entirely (from 11th) - much like a police officer would do when closing the road due to special events, etc.

I was just wondering.. is this lawful? As far as I know, this is a public street, not a privately owned street.. so it should therefore be unlawful (I would assume) to block off the street unless done so via a permit through public works.

I don't really want to cause any trouble and affect any positive activity in the Gulch.. not by any means. But.. I dunno.. it just seems odd to me. I'm surprised no one has thrown a fit thus far. It blocks off a little shortcut out of the Gulch.. although it probably is a lot safer for those people visiting the establishments there.

I'm glad someone else thought to ask about this. I've thought the same thing - why can a business simply block off roads for their convenience?

There was an article in the Tennessean a while back that focused on this issue. I thought that the problem had been resolved, but clearly it has not. I know that many people called and complained to Metro.