Panel recommends CATS tax

itsjustme3

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would you go about fixing their problems?

It's not my problem because I don't own it. But I'm assuming they could do a lot of things such as pay cuts and start making riders pay their full share. Raising my taxes and the taxes of those who don't use CATS sure isn't the solution.

I'd also add advertising. Make those buses look like NASCAR cars for all I care. Just don't steal money out of my wallet to pay for their failed operation.

I was thinking ads too, plaster them suckas and the bus stops too to help pay for it. Raising the fare would stop most people from riding it in Mid-City. Don't think they'd like a paycut, not for CATS. A mriacle would work perfect.

But what else would they do? There's not enough money around to fund an expensive upgrade other than tax money. And let's be real, it'll probably get shot down but it might pass since some people know about the city's plans to grow and work on inner city. It's worth a shot, and it wouldve been some other tax sooner or later.

Don't think they can do anything? Go downtown on a weekday and count how many buses have 2-3 people on them. You'll be shocked. They can and will do something once they (CATS) is forced to live within it's means instead of off of taxpayer money.

I have to do that.

You have to do that.

Maybe CATS should as well.

Yeah....I have a problem living within this proposed new taxing district...might not have minded chipping in a few years ago... however with all of the ridiculous $$price increases in grocery, gas, bills, property taxes, annual certificaton dues, etc...+ 2 little kids...I don't think I should have to be stretched any more than I already am. Sorry CATS...

BTW none of the routes are anywhere near me...

CATS is terribly run entity. I wouldn't support a tax unless it came with a complete management overhaul and route changes.

Remember, they are so terrible that they lost the LSU contract because of bad performance....a contract that was apparently keeping them solvent.

CATS is terribly run entity. I wouldn't support a tax unless it came with a complete management overhaul and route changes.

Remember, they are so terrible that they lost the LSU contract because of bad performance....a contract that was apparently keeping them solvent.

Just wait until they get their hands on taxpayer money.

They already do - money has been funneled to CATS through the general fund that could have gone to fix potholes or create a transit plan to replace CATS.

There is a reason they are starving- they lost the LSU contract because of performance issues, and their routes are counter intuitive and slow...and their schedule is unreliable at best. Ridership has all but dried up and they are incapable of attracting new business.

I don't know what they are thinking, but they sure aren't trying to increase ridership with those routes.

They already do - money has been funneled to CATS through the general fund that could have gone to fix potholes or create a transit plan to replace CATS.

There is a reason they are starving- they lost the LSU contract because of performance issues, and their routes are counter intuitive and slow...and their schedule is unreliable at best. Ridership has all but dried up and they are incapable of attracting new business.

I don't know what they are thinking, but they sure aren't trying to increase ridership with those routes.

• 1 month later...

News Alert: CATS could finalize budget stopgap deal with Mortgage Finance Authority

The Capital Area Transit System may fill a good portion of its $1.5 million budget shortfall with a "grant/loan" from the East Baton Rouge Mortgage Finance Authority, says CATS Commission President Tom Govan. "This would certainly go a long way to help us continue past the Oct. 1 date we’ve been putting out there and extend our services uninterrupted through the end of the year," Govan says.

Govan declined to discuss dollar amounts or other specifics of the proposed deal because both entities are taking it up at their respective board meetings Tuesday. CATS officials have warned since the beginning of the year that operations could cease by Oct. 1 if they can’t fill the budget shortfall, which started at $1.2 million and has since grown to approximately $1.5 million because of rising gasoline costs, Govan says. Full details of the deal will be announced Wednesday if both boards approve it Tuesday, he adds.

The deal with the EBR Mortgage Finance Authority, which traditionally facilitates home loans, is one of three funding prospects CATS is pursuing to collectively fill its budget shortfall, Govan says. In January the Metro Council rejected service cuts and fare hikes that would have filled the shortfall. The EBR Mortgage Finance Authority meets at 4 p.m. Tuesday on Hilton Avenue, and the CATS board meets at 4:30 p.m. in its second floor conference room on Florida Boulevard.

Businessreport.com

• 5 months later...

http://theadvocate.com/home/1772120-125/bus-system-to-ask-voters.html 

Bus system to ask voters in April for property tax

The parish bus system’s board of commissioners is expected to move forward with a tax election in April, rather than waiting until the fall as previously planned, said a group of board members Tuesday.  The Capital Area Transit System, which has been plagued by devastating budget shortfalls in recent years, could ask voters to approve a 10-year, 10.6-mill property tax that would drastically improve and expand the troubled bus service.  The CATS board will hold a special meeting Wednesday at 11:15 a.m. in the Shaw Center to approve the tax election.  Board member Jared Loftus said he expects his colleagues to approve the ballot item because board members have been discussing the possibility of an April election for months.  The property tax will only apply to property owners in the city limits of Baton Rouge, Baker and Zachary. Only residents in those three areas will be permitted to vote on the proposal.  The tax would generate more than $18 million if all three cities approve the tax: $16.6 million in Baton Rouge, $1.1 million in Zachary and $636,000 in Baker.  The funding would allow CATS to implement the service recommendations made last year by the mayor-president appointed Blue Ribbon Commission, which included reduced wait times, more buses and more routes.  

CATS solution is to take property owners money rather than make the people who actually USE the bus to pay for it. 

This proposal will fail. But I will vote for it on its merit and to show that some people in EBR do support other transit opportunities.

Transit works in other communities and isn't seen as the transportation of the poor, but by those who prefer to save money. But until that perception changes in this community, transit will never work and we will continue to spend hours sitting in traffic.

Side note, urban walkable communities and New Urbanism are ideal candidates for mass transit. But as along as we continue to build strip malls and surface parking(like the acadian project), mass transit will NEVER work in this town.

http://theadvocate.c...k-voters.html

Bus system to ask voters in April for property tax

CATS solution is to take property owners money rather than make the people who actually USE the bus to pay for it.

It's public transit, the public pays for it, that's how it goes in America. If you continue to raise it you jeopardize the likelihood that people who actually depend on CATS will be able to afford it. Then it would all crash and burn anyway.

You care about the general welfare of Baton Rouge, yes? Public transit is an element to a successful city and metro area.

This proposal will fail. But I will vote for it on its merit and to show that some people in EBR do support other transit opportunities.

Transit works in other communities and isn't seen as the transportation of the poor, but by those who prefer to save money. But until that perception changes in this community, transit will never work and we will continue to spend hours sitting in traffic.

Side note, urban walkable communities and New Urbanism are ideal candidates for mass transit. But as along as we continue to build strip malls and surface parking(like the acadian project), mass transit will NEVER work in this town.

Very true.

I think people in BR like it enough as is. People who don't like it should consider moving to NYC so that they can live and work amongst the other bus and subway riders

It's public transit, the public pays for it, that's how it goes in America. If you continue to raise it you jeopardize the likelihood that people who actually depend on CATS will be able to afford it. Then it would all crash and burn anyway.

You care about the general welfare of Baton Rouge, yes? Public transit is an element to a successful city and metro area.

The age of the government (aka tax payers) paying for everything for people who don't want to pay is slowly choking this country. Why should property owners be forced to pay for other people who ride a mismanaged bus system. All this will do (if it passes) will raise taxes and thus encouraging more and more people to Livingston and Ascension.

The age of the government (aka tax payers) paying for everything for people who don't want to pay is slowly choking this country. Why should property owners be forced to pay for other people who ride a mismanaged bus system. All this will do (if it passes) will raise taxes and thus encouraging more and more people to Livingston and Ascension.

The same reason why people pay for public schools when they're fortunate enough to send their kids to private schools. The same reason why you pay taxes to support a government you may not agree with.

You only see the outcome of a tax hike is purely negative, however, you completely disregard the fact that transit spurs growth and development. It could be an utter failure like you would like to see or it could be the best thing to ever happen in Baton Rouge ( :rolleyes: ) but neither of us know for sure so its not fair to say that it will cause people to move out of the city.

The same reason why people pay for public schools when they're fortunate enough to send their kids to private schools. The same reason why you pay taxes to support a government you may not agree with.

You only see the outcome of a tax hike is purely negative, however, you completely disregard the fact that transit spurs growth and development. It could be an utter failure like you would like to see or it could be the best thing to ever happen in Baton Rouge ( :rolleyes: ) but neither of us know for sure so its not fair to say that it will cause people to move out of the city.

To suggest that paying taxes for a failed and mismanaged bus system is the same as public education is laughable.

To suggest that paying taxes for a failed and mismanaged bus system is the same as public education is laughable.

Public education is failing in Baton Rouge, just like CATS, I don't see the difference. I know that's one reason why we moved to Prairieville. It's not laughable, its an effective comparison, unless you can tell me the difference in two failing public services that are subsidized by tax payers.

Archived