Raleigh's News & Observer moving to Charlotte?

According to an article in the N&O Business section, the Raleigh News & Observer are moving most of the production work to the Charlotte office,(which apparently they have been doing in just a small way until now). Combining most of the N&O's staff with there other east coast newspapers staff to a single center to save money! Well maybe they will sell there downtown land to a developer now?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would cost a lot of money to relocate the N&O printing operation out of downtown. New presses were installed not that long ago, in terms of the life-cycle of newspaper presses. Also, given their deadlines, there's a limit to how far away the papers can be printed.

I assume they have excess office space now, but I don't believe the facility would be particularly attractive to tenants and it's probably difficult to carve out the office space they don't need.

I was under the impression that "production work" referred to the layout and design elements of the paper and the ads in the paper. I thought this was strange since much of this work was moved to India several years ago. I was under the impression that reporting (whats left of it anyway), and printing would remain in Raleigh.

In the case of the Charlotte Observer ownership of the downtown building was transferred to the employee pension plan last year, in an effort to resolve its funding issues. I had assumed (but have not seen it stated) that Mclatchy did the same with their Raleigh real estate.

Beginning in August, the new center will perform copy editing and page design for The N&O and its community newspapers

I had assumed (but have not seen it stated) that Mclatchy did the same with their Raleigh real estate.

According to wakegov.com, the 215 S. McDowell St property (3.56 acres) is still owned by The News & Observer Publishing Co., as well as the 13 acres in Garner.

Archived