University of Hartford - Hartford Public Schools Formal Affiliation

HartfordTycoon

This is kind of an intriguing topic to me. In the past I've posted about how much of a game changer is could be to have UHart establish itself as more of a neighborhood anchor in Hartford's northwest corner near the borders with West Hartford and Bloomfield. To be fully realized the campus would need to expand in the areas between the current performing arts center and Mark Twain Dr. where Westbrook Village now stands. While this is not directly related to the partnership being announced now I think that this all leads to more economic development cooperation between the city and the university which could be very fruitful for both parties. If UHart were somehow to become a publicly related institution similar to University of Pittsburgh it could be pretty interesting. I think it's great that they are working so closely with HPS.

Hartford Business Journal

The Hartford Public Schools system and the University of Hartford have agreed to establish a unique system-wide affiliation that will allow for ongoing research, education, and innovation between the two institutions.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is actually a pretty big deal and could have a hugely positive impact on education in the city and the university's profile here. If they take part in the redevelopment of Weaver and that campus is somehow integrated that would be a huge deal for Weaver and that neighborhood. It would still be pretty vital to redevelop Westbrook Village and Bowles Park in conjunction with all of this to make it truly transformational.

Also the article points out that they entered into a formal affiliation with St. Francis Hospital last year. I didn't realize that and that is also a pretty significant development.

Hartford Courant

The formal affiliation with Hartford schools will apply to all of the university's academic colleges, such as the arts and sciences, engineering, technology and architecture, and the Hartt School conservatory, Harrison said Wednesday.

The university has long developed relationships with some schools in Hartford's North End, including University High School, the magnet STEM and Montessori schools at Annie Fisher, and Global Communications Academy on Tower Avenue, where education students have been working as interns this year.

Harrison said the university also wants to be involved in the proposed overhaul of the neighboring Weaver High School. He likened the possibilities to the Learning Corridor in Hartford's South End, which holds several magnet schools on a 16-acre campus alongside Trinity College.

I think some editorial staff at the Courant are borrowing my commentary! I'm just glad that these ideas are circulating because they would certainly be the biggest thing to ever happen in this neighborhood.

Hartford Courant

The Weaver property adjoins the University of Hartford. Whatever school goes there ought to benefit from this proximity. Could city schools with themes in business, the arts or education partner with their disciplinary equivalents at the university?

Weaver is also close to two aging housing projects, Bowles Park and Westbrook Village. City leaders have been talking for years about renovating the projects, with Westbrook becoming a mixed-use "university village" of current residents and people connected with the school. Could Weaver be part of such a plan?

I think some editorial staff at the Courant are borrowing my commentary! I'm just glad that these ideas are circulating because they would certainly be the biggest thing to ever happen in this neighborhood.

Hartford Courant

The Weaver property adjoins the University of Hartford. Whatever school goes there ought to benefit from this proximity. Could city schools with themes in business, the arts or education partner with their disciplinary equivalents at the university?

Weaver is also close to two aging housing projects, Bowles Park and Westbrook Village. City leaders have been talking for years about renovating the projects, with Westbrook becoming a mixed-use "university village" of current residents and people connected with the school. Could Weaver be part of such a plan?

well done :)

I agree with you on this whole thing. the more that we get our universities involved, the more our kids will succeed. just regularly interacting with higher education makes kids feel as though its not intimidating its attainable, and its more familiar. It will improve Weaver, it will improve relationships in the area, and with the redevelopment of the housing projects, obviously this would be a game changer that would completely transform the area.

Archived