Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryanaw

New Respect for Little Rock

5 posts in this topic

I just got back from Tulsa for my job training and have a new found respect for Little Rock. Though Tulsa is about 2x bigger than Little Rock, I find population isn't everything. Tulsa is a very nice city, but it was a few things that Little Rock have Tulsa beat on. Woodland Mall was not all that great for me. I believe Park Plaza has a better selection of stores, with the exception of Apple and Macy's. They have a lot of shopping centers, but most have the same thing in them. We have a few of the same places in ours, but not as bad. I believe our network of expressway/freeways are built better as in the layout. Even though it's smaller, I believe our "skyline" looks better because of the configuration. We also have water in our part of the Arkansas River, especially for an area called Riverfront Park.

While I was there, I wanted to see what Cheddar's was all about. It's in a league of it's own. No comparison to Chilli's or Applebee's. Agave, Mexican Restaurant, was pretty good. I also tried a fast food chicken restaurant called Charlie's Chicken. Also pretty good. Dave & Buster's was pretty good and fun as well. I tried a few other places, but we have them here already.

Things I wish Little Rock had, that Tulsa has include an aquarium, Longhorn Steakhouse, Dave & Buster's and a few more high-rise or skyscrapers.

I also tried Cheesecake Factory, which also wish we had. Awesome place!!!

I just got back from Tulsa for my job training and have a new found respect for Little Rock. Though Tulsa is about 2x bigger than Little Rock, I find population isn't everything. Tulsa is a very nice city, but it was a few things that Little Rock have Tulsa beat on. Woodland Mall was not all that great for me. I believe Park Plaza has a better selection of stores, with the exception of Apple and Macy's. They have a lot of shopping centers, but most have the same thing in them. We have a few of the same places in ours, but not as bad. I believe our network of expressway/freeways are built better as in the layout. Even though it's smaller, I believe our "skyline" looks better because of the configuration. We also have water in our part of the Arkansas River, especially for an area called Riverfront Park.

While I was there, I wanted to see what Cheddar's was all about. It's in a league of it's own. No comparison to Chilli's or Applebee's. Agave, Mexican Restaurant, was pretty good. I also tried a fast food chicken restaurant called Charlie's Chicken. Also pretty good. Dave & Buster's was pretty good and fun as well. I tried a few other places, but we have them here already.

Things I wish Little Rock had, that Tulsa has include an aquarium, Longhorn Steakhouse, Dave & Buster's and a few more high-rise or skyscrapers.

I also tried Cheesecake Factory, which also wish we had. Awesome place!!!

Glad to hear this! While Park Plaza Mall is smaller compare to other malls in major cities I think it is nicer and cleaner and have a good selection of stores. Just wish there was more full service restaurants in the mall such as Cheesecake Factory( which I think we will see in the future). Even our airport, though it is smaller, is nicer, cleaner, and easier to navigate than some major international airports (ex: JFK)

I heard Cheddar's coming to the Park Avenue development. I hope it will be as good as the one you went to. I also want to see a Dave and Buster, an aquarium (which will do great near the Clinton Library), Saltgrass Steakhouse, and Joe's Crab Shack locate here. Also, add Pappadeaux to my wish list of restaurants.

Tulsa isn't exactly a model city. It's trying to pull itself out of a death choke from the suburbs so it doesn't surprise me that a much more revitalized Little Rock outshines a transitioning city that has been in decline prior to the past few years.

Also, I don't know if anyone has been to the Tulsa Aquarium, I have as I live in OKC, BUT it has to be the lamest excuse for an aquarium ever. Please Little Rock, if you ever do get an aquarium, don't make it like Tulsa's.

I can relate to the OP.  I lived in Little Rock for two years after I graduated college and then lived in Charlotte for three years.  I am now in OKC.  Charlotte is a true big league city and I loved everything about it, but that's another thread.  It's OKC that has made me really appreciate Little Rock. Despite being twice the size of Little Rock, OKC don't offer much more to do other than the NBA.  There is a lot Little Rock has that OKC doesn't thanks to its natural surroundings.  Little Rock also has a noticeably more liberal vibe compared to OKC which is extremely right wing in almost every pocket of the city.  Population definitely isn't everything and I think Little Rock definitely pulls above its weight comparative to its size.  When I lived in Little Rock I was in my early twenties and wanted out of Arkansas and didn't appreciate everything the city had to offer.  First of all it's a very beautiful city.  The natural beauty and the integration of development with the natural terrain has to be one of the best strengths in Little Rock. Hillcrest is a real jewel.  Most people in Little Rock don't realize how nice Hillcrest really is.  It's interesting and remarkable to see the kind of urban development people in OKC are getting excited about also occurring in Little Rock.  Little Rock is even ahead of OKC when it comes to getting high-rise residential condos.  So far no developer here has dared try.  Little Rock's airport, while on the small side, is actually quite large for a city its size (compare it to Augusta, GA for instance.)  

In retrospect, and it may just be because of the lens of nostalgia, but I think Little Rock has among the best bang for your buck if you want to live in a small city.

Edited by bchris02

Good to hear your new perspective.  I agree that Little Rock gets a bad rap, but its actually pretty nice for a mid-sized American city.  Nice post.